Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

driz

Chicago Moves [COMPLETED]

Hey everyone, you may have heard some rumors about a pending chicago move and I'm here to spill the beans on it. 

We are doing the move into our host's new datacenter in Chicago, which includes the same level of DDoS protection we currently enjoy. (to put this in perspective, over the last week or so, JB has been hit by between 13-17Gbps every day, multiple times a day with no impact). That being said, I'm moving things as I can when i think the disturbance will be the least impacting.

War3, JB and Minigames are now moved to Chicago (and in some cases have been moved for a while) the new IP is 216.105.171.120.  Your favorites should've updated on their own, but if not, you can see the ports in our CSGO division forums. DNS should also be working, eg. war3.joinsg.net, ze.joinsg.net mg.joinsg.net. If your DNS is NOT working, this is because your ISP is shit, we can't do anything for you on this issue. Simply use the IP. We will update DNS on the day of the move, so most people's DNS will not work right away. I will update this thread with details as we progress, @fontaine will update the gametracker links in the forums, and your favorites should auto-update. Any issues SHOULD be minimal, but please if you have in-game friends who do not browse the forums, let them know what's going on.  Advisors and SOs, i expect you guys to ensure your players are aware of this thread and the pending moves.

It has also come to my attention that many of you do not understand what DNS is. DNS assigns a name to an IP (not a port) so war3.joinsg.net = 216.105.171.120 you STILL need to specify a port. 

Here is a tentative plan of action for the remaining servers. (Week 1 = the week of July 4th)

(Green:Completed, Orange:In progress, Yellow:Preparing, Red: Problem, Grey: Queued)

• War3 -> Chicago (week0)
  • ZE -> Chicago (week0)
  • MG -> Chicago (week1)
  • Climb1 -> Los Angeles (week1)
    • I am waiting on our host to provision the new system for us. We will have 2 climb servers, one in LA and one in CHI
  • TTTGo -> Chicago (week2) 
  • Rust -> Chicago (week3)
    • Pending new system to resolve issues with linux allowing players
    • TTT Reloaded -> Chicago (week3)
      • Pending creation of some functions we need to operate the way we like by the host
    • Surf -> Chicago (week3)
    • Jailbreak -> Chicago (week4)
    • Competition Servers1 & 2 -> Chicago (week4)
    • Vanilla -> Chicago (week4)
    • Vanilla -> Los Angeles (week4)
    • MySQL -> Chicago (week5) 
      • this will impact many of our games, i will do my best to limit the downtime by pre-positioning data before the cut, but we may need a map change on each server to restore services
    • TS3 -> Chicago (week5)
      • Server provisioned, pending ticket for custom work request
      •  (feel free to use our unofficial sG discord while TS3 is down for the move. https://discord.gg/0nKjfSkRvF7exkNI
    • Assets -> Chicago (week5)
    • Dev Server creation -> Chicago (week6)
    • IPB4 -> Chicago (week6)

We will have some spare capacity for other servers and will likely add a development box. With an estimated time-frame of 5 weeks to complete the move, we will be paying for our Chicago servers and our LA servers concurrently, this means sG contributions to prizes may be a little slim during this time. 

7 minutes ago, Rainsurge said:

Rip west coast players ping.

Edit, why the move? I've a large amount of the population being west coast players.

Because there is also a large amount of the population that aren't west cost players.

8 minutes ago, Rainsurge said:

Rip west coast players ping.

Edit, why the move? I've a large amount of the population being west coast players.

More fair for everyone. East and West coasts should have similar ping. The rest of us nerds in the midwest get to experience 30 ping and not 100 on the sG servers EleGiggle 

4 minutes ago, Dr Pepper said:

maybe now my ping will go back to 5 C:

Mine will stay around the 400 area, like always.

1 hour ago, I'M ETHAN BRADBERRY said:

More fair for everyone. East and West coasts should have similar ping. The rest of us nerds in the midwest get to experience 30 ping and not 100 on the sG servers EleGiggle 

It is more fair, although west/east having the same ping is false. Although it is "central", Chicago is not dead center between the two. East coast generally have better pings to Chi.

To answer a few other questions as to why, there's quite a few reasons:

• Putting servers on any coast leaves out a big portion of our player base. This applies strongly to our western EU players, as they were hit the hardest by our move to LA (Hopefully we will get some of them back with a decent ping drop).
    • The only real reason the LA move happened in the first place was because of the ability of our host to provide DDoS protection that we desperately needed. With our host now providing the services we need in Chicago, we are able to move back. 
    • This move is better for us financially.

Wondering how this will effect the CS:GO Tournament. Didn't see anything regarding the servers being used.

9 minutes ago, Avery said:

Wondering how this will effect the CS:GO Tournament. Didn't see anything regarding the servers being used.

The tourney is still being hosted in LA I think. Can someone correct me if im mistaken?

My ping is almost always 40 to 50 no matter where the server is :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk