Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Velo

AMD Zen (Ryzen)

I know most of us run intel machines here, but who else is watching Zen? I'm personally hoping it shakes intel up enough for them to get their shit in gear and spice up their processor line as well as dropping their prices a little on existing chips. At the moment, there are no specs on these chips aside from clock speeds and amount of cores/threads (They support AMD's form of hyperthreading, but AMD's term for it escapes me). From the videos i've seen everything else is speculation. Zen is due to be released in Q1 2017 (March). I'm genuinely excited to see what's going to happen in the coming months as this processor is released and can't wait to see reviews from sources such as LinusTT, Jayztwocents and others. I might just go out and get one depending on reviews.

I've been looking into this for a long time now and I'm considering postponing my pc that I was going to build until zen comes out. I really want them to make a better gpu then the 1080, but hopefully it comes close. Im also expecting the 1080 to go down in price when zen drops.And the 7th gen cpus from intel were not much of an upgrade, so i may get it. hopefully it dosnt bottleneck your fps like it did with previous generations of processors.

Only reason I'm watching Zen is because I have a shit ton of money on AMD stocks. They've been doing great recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Mimic is a fanboy :) 

I personally have only ever built AMD on budget builds, but from what I've heard/seen, it could actually be worth looking into with their new releases.

I really want ZEN to just knock everyone out of the water with performance and makes the cpu market competitive again and rumor is 1080ti is on the standby for when amd releases vega(I think thats the newest one coming out).

Currently saving up money. If reviews are good, i'll get one. If not, i'll use money for something else.

Here is a supposed list of "leaked" motherboards and processors as well as prices: http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-motherboards-asus-gigabyte-biostar-pictured/

Then there is this cached page from Asus Greece website

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xRSNRlOsoAUJ:https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=no

Take it all with a grain of salt.

honestly, I was an AMD fanboy for so long (and ATI for that matter) I can't really see AMD ever recovering. If AMD releases something cutting edge, you can bet Intel has an unreleased proc they'll just release to market to gain back the edge. AMD is playing catch up and has been for years... the days of buying an Athlon xp cpu from AMD and smoking an intel cpu are over. 

The ONLY redeeming quality, IMO, is that AMD is significantly more affordable (in all facets, really, look at freesync vs gsync) while not completely underwhelming. If you want maximum speed/perf you get intel, but when we talk best bang for the buck, I would say AMD is in the running there...

that all said, we're all enthusiasts here, but when you mention intel dropping prices because AMD is suddenly competitive.. get real, the enthusiast market isn't where intel makes money, AMD isn't a threat.. Intel is in the CISCO UCS, all EMC storage, nimble storage, netapp storage, HP, dell, IBM server portfolio... why would they drop prices?

if see start seeing AMD make deals with server manufacturers.. then I might expect some form of response from Intel, potentially in the form of a price reduction.

Bump, chip releases tomorrow. I've got one on preorder.. driving out to pick it up tomorrow. we'll see how this goes.

1 hour ago, Velo said:

Bump, chip releases tomorrow. I've got one on preorder.. driving out to pick it up tomorrow. we'll see how this goes.

Let me know what you think of it, I'm thinking of getting one eventually. 

On 3/1/2017 at 5:44 PM, Lindsay said:

Let me know what you think of it, I'm thinking of getting one eventually. 

Store opened at 10am, I got there at 10:45 and there was 1 motherboard left. Talk about luck...

Got the system put together last night but have not had a chance to put it through it's paces. I installed windows, and asus software, updated the drivers, went to update the bios, restarted and the bastard was a brick. Luckily the board has the USB bios flash subsystem thing for when shit like that happens and I was able to recover it. Windows 7 is NOT compatible... Once you boot in to win7 setup from USB or DVD, the mouse and keyboard do not work. Highest memory speed you can run at is 2666mhz, this will probably be fixed with future BIOS updates.

I've got nothing else to add at the moment other than the fact that I knew what I was getting into when I pre-ordered a chip (yolo'd). If you are dead-set on building something like this, read all the reviews you can, and you should also give this a couple months for the manufacturers to put out BIOS updates to fix h/w compatibility issues among other things. Keep in mind, this isn't an industry-changing lineup from AMD, see it as a more budget-friendly alternative to get you in to the land of mid-range builds. It is not meant to be the best.

Specs of my box: (It's a bastard child, but it's my child)

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

Ryzen 1800X

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler

16GB Gskill 3000 ram

Gigabyte RX480 w/ 8GB

Corsair 460X ATX w/tempered glass case

Corsair 600W PSU

120GB SSD

500GB HDD

Just now, Velo said:

Store opened at 10am, I got there at 10:45 and there was 1 motherboard left. Talk about luck...

Got the system put together last night but have not had a chance to put it through it's paces. I installed windows, and asus software, updated the drivers, went to update the bios, restarted and the bastard was a brick. Luckily the board has the USB bios flash subsystem thing for when shit like that happens and I was able to recover it. Windows 7 is NOT compatible... Once you boot in to win7 setup from USB or DVD, the mouse and keyboard do not work. Highest memory speed you can run at is 2666mhz, this will probably be fixed with future BIOS updates.

I've got nothing else to add at the moment other than the fact that I knew what I was getting into when I pre-ordered a chip (yolo'd). If you are dead-set on building something like this, read all the reviews you can, and you should also give this a couple months for the manufacturers to put out BIOS updates to fix h/w compatibility issues among other things. Keep in mind, this isn't an industry-changing lineup from AMD, see it as a more budget-friendly alternative to get you in to the land of mid-range builds. It is not meant to be the best.

Specs of my box: (It's a bastard child, but it's my child)

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

Ryzen 1800X

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler

16GB Gskill 3000 ram

Gigabyte RX480 w/ 8GB

Corsair 460X ATX w/tempered glass case

Corsair 600W PSU

120GB SSD

500GB HDD

Thanks!

Here are some pics (had to turn exposure way down due to glare) 

Also, I have the LEDs set to white, but they show purple for some reason.

izaurk.jpg

16llauh.jpg

And my helper

2qs2x08.jpg

Just now, Velo said:

And my helper

2qs2x08.jpg

LIAR! That there is an asshole traitor. I'm surprised it didn't sabotage your efforts during assembly. Make sure everything is screwed in because when you turn your back that asshole is going to rip out every god damned wire you plugged in.

Just now, centran said:

LIAR! That there is an asshole traitor. I'm surprised it didn't sabotage your efforts during assembly. Make sure everything is screwed in because when you turn your back that asshole is going to rip out every god damned wire you plugged in.

Dang, I found a screw on the floor!

For anyone still curious, I was finally able to get my ram up to it's advertised clock speed of 3000mhz from being stuck at 2133mhz, as well as getting the cpu to 4ghz after tweaking some voltages with the latest beta bios 1002. Set the CPU voltage a couple cunt hairs above what AMD recommends and same with the RAM as well as slapping around the SOC voltage. My god the speed difference is insane. Went from windows taking several seconds to load to being on the desktop 2-4 seconds after post. Apparently the speed of your ram directly impacts the performance of the CPU by also setting the frequency of AMD's "infinity fabric" or the interface between both sets of 4 cores on the chip. Also noticed an increase of frames in rust.

Only issue is that the system is very unstable until it's in Windows for some reason.

Can't wait to pick up a decent NVMe drive in the next month or 2

On 2/11/2017 at 11:04 AM, Sean said:

Only reason I'm watching Zen is because I have a shit ton of money on AMD stocks. They've been doing great recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had spectated AMD's stocks prior to the Ryzen release, put in ~2000 dollars and got 150% of that. Ryzen has also taken the majority of market share for 6+ core CPU's according to CPU user benchmark. Their stocks had jumped from the 9.8/share to 15.4 when I sold. 

I'm planning on rebuying about 15 days prior to Computex, its most likely that AMD will release their Vega 10 GPU then, The 10 is rumored to run at 12.5 TFLOPS (1080 is ~10 TFLOPS, 1080ti ~11.5TFLOPS, Titan X(pascal) ~11, Titan Xp ~12.5) at a much cheaper price of ~800 compared to the 1200 of Nvidia.

On 3/26/2017 at 2:34 PM, Velo said:

For anyone still curious, I was finally able to get my ram up to it's advertised clock speed of 3000mhz from being stuck at 2133mhz, as well as getting the cpu to 4ghz after tweaking some voltages with the latest beta bios 1002. Set the CPU voltage a couple cunt hairs above what AMD recommends and same with the RAM as well as slapping around the SOC voltage. My god the speed difference is insane. Went from windows taking several seconds to load to being on the desktop 2-4 seconds after post. Apparently the speed of your ram directly impacts the performance of the CPU by also setting the frequency of AMD's "infinity fabric" or the interface between both sets of 4 cores on the chip. Also noticed an increase of frames in rust.

Only issue is that the system is very unstable until it's in Windows for some reason.

Can't wait to pick up a decent NVMe drive in the next month or 2

The major reason is due to the lack of time that AMD gave motherboard manufactures. The majority of recent times have shown that Intel gave every manufacturer about 3 months to adjust BIOS and Compatible. 

As a side note, what do y'all think about this build? Its what i'm going for this june :D https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BQDJHN 

Been watching Ryzen and Vega as replacements for the 1080Ti and the 7700k :D 

@Velo  Hey I just got the 1800X Crosshair VI too.  Was wondering if you have a RAID setup?  Seems like you don't but figured I'd ask because of the headache its causing me.

I' running with an M.2 boot drive then 2x512GB RAID-0 and 2x256GB RAID-1 and 1.5TB HDD.  But i can't get any of the raids to work, they show up fine in the BIOS/RAID config but don't show in windows at all.  The driver that ASUS has on their website doesn't work with WIN10, wouldn't even install because "its not supported on this operating system".  

And I guess im not the only one getting RAID problems http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3395597/setting-raid-ryzen-asus-crosshair-hero.html

EDIT: LOL i just fixed it.  Just installed the update X370 chipset driver 17.10 (Not the recommended one) http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 10 - 64

The one's from ASUS aren't up to date.

11 hours ago, Revöker said:

@Velo  Hey I just got the 1800X Crosshair VI too.  Was wondering if you have a RAID setup?  Seems like you don't but figured I'd ask because of the headache its causing me.

I' running with an M.2 boot drive then 2x512GB RAID-0 and 2x256GB RAID-1 and 1.5TB HDD.  But i can't get any of the raids to work, they show up fine in the BIOS/RAID config but don't show in windows at all.  The driver that ASUS has on their website doesn't work with WIN10, wouldn't even install because "its not supported on this operating system".  

And I guess im not the only one getting RAID problems http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3395597/setting-raid-ryzen-asus-crosshair-hero.html

EDIT: LOL i just fixed it.  Just installed the update X370 chipset driver 17.10 (Not the recommended one) http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 10 - 64

The one's from ASUS aren't up to date.

Glad you got that situated. Had me worried. I'm not using raid at the moment but plan on it in the future. I only have 1 SSD and had 1 HDD up until 2 weeks ago, then it shit the bed. (lost everything)

I'm gonna get a nice NVMe hopefully in about a month, haven't had enough cash as of late to dump in to this box since I put it together. Also currently running a cooler master evo 212 cooler, and until I put a load on it, it's just barely warmer than room temp. The only gripe I have about it is that it's too damn big. May pick up a water cooling kit eventually.

Hopefully you got the RAM recommended by AMD. I bought the Gskill Aegis 2x8gb 3000mhz kit not realizing it wasn't the correct kit and am having trouble getting it to boot at advertised speed. 60% of the time it will fail to post, but sometimes it will and when I boot windows I have no problems oddly enough. Hopefully we should be getting a new BIOS update soon, it's been almost a month since the last one. Tried forking with the voltages following various overclocking guides to no avail. Until then it will be set at 2133mhz :(

Also running Win7 on it because fuck M$

Was able to get my board to clock my RAM at its speed (3200). I have the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 and GSkill Trident Z 16GB. Had to do a BIOS update for it to work.