Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerald

2016 Presidential Election: The Year Memes Came True

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/500716650/donald-trump-clinches-the-presidency-in-major-upset

Donald J. Trump has been elected the 45th president of the United States, the capstone of a tumultuous and divisive campaign that won over white voters with the promise to "Make America Great Again."

Trump crossed the 270 electoral vote threshold at 2:31 a.m. ET with a victory in Wisconsin, according to Associated Press projections.

The rise of Trump, a candidate with no prior experience in the military or elected office, confounded nearly everyone in politics. Improbably, the real-estate-scion-turned-reality-TV-star had not even been a member of the

Republican Party for long. That made his victory over Democratic rival Hillary Clinton even more stunning, preventing her from becoming the nation's first female president.

But in a rough and tumble campaign, Trump convinced a large slice of the American electorate that the government, Wall Street and the justice system were rigged. "I will be your voice," he told supporters, who then defied the polls to propel him to the nation's highest office.

http://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/2016-election-day-results-live-analysis

Mr. Trump called his campaign a "movement" and said he will start the "urgent task of rebuilding our nation and renewing the American dream." He called for the U.S. to "get along with all other nations willing to get along with us."

"America will no longer settle for anything less than the best," he said. "We must reclaim our country's destiny, and dream big and bold and daring. We have to do that."

Now, Mr. Trump is thanking his family members, including his late parents; his wife, Melania; and his children.

"I love you and I thank you and especially for putting up all those hours," he said. "This was tough."

HOLY FUCK, I ALMOST DIED OF LAUGHTER!

At the end of Trump's speech, on the official Youtube stream, they played "You Can't Always Get What You Want". HE KNOWS!

....I wasn't expecting to win my bet with Clinton getting 47%-49% of the vote by her losing by getting only 47% of it.

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

HOLY FUCK, I ALMOST DIED OF LAUGHTER!

At the end of Trump's speech, on the official Youtube stream, they played "You Can't Always Get What You Want". HE KNOWS!

But, "you get WHAT YOU NEED!"

he knows, trolling everyone.

Pretty cool that for my first election, I got to help elect the new President of the United States.

Big congrats to Trump and Pence! Now let's hope the road we go down will be a good one, but I'm sure it will be!

I hope this guy lives up to your expectations

CwyoYIwUsAENMoX.jpg

It's really strange how you can win the popular vote but lose the election. What's up with electoral colleges and why are they still a thing?

I know how he promised electoral reform but I think we all know that won't happen. But it's a really strange way to elect someone in this day-and-age.

41 minutes ago, Travesty said:

It's really strange how you can win the popular vote but lose the election. What's up with electoral colleges and why are they still a thing?

I know how he promised electoral reform but I think we all know that won't happen. But it's a really strange way to elect someone in this day-and-age.

Wasn't Electoral vote a thing because the poulation wasnt as informed or smart back then?

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Want Electoral vote a thing because the poulation wasnt as informed or smart back then?

Ha. Apparently time hasn't changed much.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

get absolutely fucked

meme magic stopped ww3, im technically a war veteran now

I mean sure Hillary wanted a no fly zone, but you realize Trump wants to basically leave S. Korea and Japan and has gone on record saying they should be allowed to start their own nuclear programs. He's also basically said if countries want our protection from Russia they'll have to pay us, in countries like Syria and Ukraine that basically means "good luck." You have a guy who is willing to let russia spread it's empire and become the Soviet Union again over money. Back to my first point, pulling out of S. Korea and Japan and letting them develop their own nukes is, by far, worse than a no fly zone. We should be disarming nukes from every country not whatever his plan is. 

But hey maybe he'll try and make tax evasion legal so we can all be like him and be "smart"

49 minutes ago, Travesty said:

The reason for the electoral college is so small highly dense states don't overpower bigger low populated states.  There is a real divide in what the needs/desires are of these places.  Just look at how most of rural america is all for Trump while highly dense areas are for Hillary, their needs are different.

This goes for example on gun laws.  In a high dense city you wouldn't want guns because of mass shootings and just general gun crime, but when you tell the farmer that owns acres of land he'll tell you his biggest worry is the bear or maybe wolf that will kill his farm animals or even attack him.

Honestly the urban areas and rural areas shouldn't really be telling each other how their laws should be set up.  I'd be all for more state power than having a centralized government. 

4 minutes ago, Revöker said:

The reason for the electoral college is so small highly dense states don't overpower bigger low populated states.  There is a real divide in what the needs/desires are of these places.  Just look at how most of rural america is all for Trump while highly dense areas are for Hillary, their needs are different.

This goes for example on gun laws.  In a high dense city you wouldn't want guns because of mass shootings and just general gun crime, but when you tell the farmer that owns acres of land he'll tell you his biggest worry is the bear or maybe wolf that will kill his farm animals or even attack him.

Honestly the urban areas and rural areas shouldn't really be telling each other how their laws should be set up.  I'd be all for more state power than having a centralized government. 

That should be why you vote for the electorate in your area to represent you. But if a person wins more total votes in the entire country, you'd think they should become President.

Trust me Canada understands that with our highly dense areas over lower populated sparse areas.

If you're LGBT, Mexican, Muslim, concerned about climate change, or concerned about reproductive rights then the next 4 years will be harrowing. With Trump at the helm of the Republican-controlled House, Senate, and probably Supreme Court, we may all see the country take a huge and terrifying step backward. 

It was one thing for Trump to have said all the stupid, hateful, and dangerous things he did, and become a meme, but it's entirely depressing that more than half of the country rallied behind such messages.

12 minutes ago, Travesty said:

She is literally playing heavy metal right now before her concession speech

Has anyone seens her?  Did she leave the country? because of "Hillary For Prison 2016"

14 minutes ago, Prosak said:

Image result for Revolutionary war meme

Nah mate we got rid of that crap in 1776

I'm glad, means we don't have the Terry's Chocolate Orange in charge.

3 minutes ago, Revöker said:

Has anyone seens her?  Did she leave the country? "Hillary For Prison 2016"

I deleted the video because her ipod changed to some weird country happy go lucky song lol.

Haha she's now 45 mins late so not sure what's up.