Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slyfox

(SPOILERS) Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

We are getting complaints that text from these posts are showing up in various feeds(main page, mobile, apps). If you post you must copy/paste the follow block at the top of your post... even above quotes!!! If you can't follow this rule then this thread will be deleted and we will go back to infracting/banning those that post spoilers.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

POILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

That is how I saw it. However, they could have played that up more to emphasis that he was at severe disadvantage. Something like first show him cringe holding his side as a bunch of blood hits the snow. Then maybe uses his own lightsaber to cauterize the wound. Then he does that weird beating his side thing but immediately goes into his fighting stance and give a war cry. 

The time between him getting "pumped up"(not very well acted) and them fighting was too long. If they had finn ignite the lightsaber first then had kylo do this crazy prep to get pumped and have him attack first then I think that would make more sense to show how badly hurt he was and he had to muster up the strength to fight.

However, I get why they staged the scene that way. It was more about Finn/Rey and what would happen to their characters. I really hope this scene had subtle hints to their character development. Finn is reluctant to use the lightsaber and a little worried but he does so to protect Rey. I see him more in a Luke role not wanting to come to terms with his powers. Which is I think will be a big twist because everyone is expected Rey to be like Luke. However, Rey was super aggressive when she got the lightsaber. If you notice Kylo is defensive when he is dueling which would make sense because he was training to be a Jedi and light has a more defensive fighting style. Rey just went super aggressive and going for the kill. I would not be surprised if they have her be persuaded by the Dark side.

Given the "homage" imagery they used in several scenes I suspect that is the path for Rey. In the beginning of the movie she put on that helmet in a scene very reminiscent to child anakin wearing the pod racing helmet... and we all know how he turned out.

Hmm good point about the injury, still not sure myself if this is us finding reasoning/excuses for a mistake or if Disney actually intended to have it this way. Either way I guess only time will tell, I should probably watch it a few more times in the meantime.

Still thinking going back a few generations to Darth Bane and exploring that arc with the rule of two would have been a more interesting story but Star Wars is Star Wars.

What also troubled me was how the new deathstar had to drain a sun to be able to fire. How is that a viable weapon concept? I mean they fired it once already in the film did they have two suns nearby? If not where the fuck did they get the power? And after they would have destroyed the rebellion, the weapon would have been useless since it's a planet and how are you going to pilot a planet to another nearby star?

Also really dumb way for Han Solo to die.. Dang Leia pissed me off.. 

so instead of fixing the forums you guys opt to ban people for a rule that literally doesn't exist

nice

Pretty obvious Rey is connected to Luke. I'm guessing she is either his daughter or the last survivor of the massacre of Luke's new order. I presume the ship that flys off in the flashback is Luke leaving her and going into hiding. Han or Leia would guess who Rey is otherwise. My theory is that Snoke is Darth Plaugeis palpatine's old master. It would make sense. Plagueis was supposed to have learned to cheat death and he looks like hes half dead. Finn probably is important for another reason we havent seen. I'll edit this later when I have time.

Pretty obvious Rey is connected to Luke. I'm guessing she is either his daughter or the last survivor of the massacre of Luke's new order. I presume the ship that flys off in the flashback is Luke leaving her and going into hiding. Han or Leia would guess who Rey is otherwise. My theory is that Snoke is Darth Plaugeis palpatine's old master. It would make sense. Plagueis was supposed to have learned to cheat death and he looks like hes half dead. Finn probably is important for another reason we havent seen. I'll edit this later when I have time.

I think Finn is important because he was either in that ship that flew away in Rey's flashback or he knew someone in that ship and was in the same unit. That ship was a First Order transport.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER 

Not really a spoiler but Kylo reminded me of Professor Snape from the Harry Potter series, a young version if that. Hell, both character's temperments could be connected, both wanted something or someone that the couldn't get. 

This felt like a rehash of A New Hope. Would bang Rey 10/10

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I think Finn is important because he was either in that ship that flew away in Rey's flashback or he knew someone in that ship and was in the same unit. That ship was a First Order transport.

You sure? When I picture the scene now it looks more like a republic ship or a generic civilian thing. I get the impression she had the visions because she was there during the massacre of the new jedi order. And Luke dropping her off would make sense. Her being his daughter is the only thing that would explain how powerful she is and how she seems to naturally know how to use the force. She might have repressed memories from the experience of watching the massacre. I don't think shes Han and Leia's kid because they would have mentioned a daughter by now. I mean they mentioned they grew separate because of Ben and they would have stayed together to search for Rey if she went missing. Poe's family has a comic about them now.

My theory is that Snoke is Darth Plaugeis palpatine's old master. It would make sense. Plagueis was supposed to have learned to cheat death and he looks like hes half dead.

Palpatine was supposed to have killed Plagueis the night before he got elected Senator in the Phantom Menace -- he killed him right as Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul. However in the movie, this was never shown nor mentioned. Plagueis being Snoke is totally still on the table. Selfie of Plagueis -- could totally be a pre-death Snoke.

9cGq7bc.jpg

Palpatine was supposed to have killed Plagueis the night before he got elected Senator in the Phantom Menace -- he killed him right as Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul. However in the movie, this was never shown nor mentioned. Plagueis being Snoke is totally still on the table. Selfie of Plagueis -- could totally be a pre-death Snoke.

9cGq7bc.jpg

The book is non canon now so all we know of Plagueis is Palpatine's speech to anakin. But I noticed something. Palpatine says his master's title was "The Wise". Kylo Ren in the movie says "Leader Snoke is wise". In interviews they say snoke is a damaged figure. I feel they're referring to him only half resurrecting himself and that's why he's deformed.

Would bang Rey 10/10

Just went to go see it.

I enjoyed it but I'm also disappointed. Maybe it was my fault for hyping up Kylo Ren to be similar to Revan. I didn't like Kylo Ren's actor either, it didn't feel like it suited him at all. The ending was pretty dull too, I was expecting more but didn't receive orz.

I was hoping they'd show the Jedi Academy with Luke and how the first order started up and more of Knights of Ren. Also waiting for Kyle Katarn to show up #hype

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I like how an untrained newbie Jedi was kicking Kylo's ass and can hold her own in a saber fight. Hell, even the black dude was using the saber

Also I'll belong to a movie retrospective podcast called Now Playing. They have a free feed and a subscription feed.

Here is the free 2.5 hour critical review of the movie:

http://nowplayingpodcast.com

I like how an untrained newbie Jedi was kicking Kylo's ass and can hold her own in a saber fight. Hell, even the black dude was using the saber

Also I'll belong to a movie retrospective podcast called Now Playing. They have a free feed and a subscription feed.

Here is the free 2.5 hour critical review of the movie:

http://nowplayingpodcast.com

The going theory is that Rey had training at Luke's jedi temple but repressed the memories after witnessing the massacre. Also its pretty obvious shes Luke's daughter or something similar. And they hinted Kylo Ren hasn't actually been trained that much by Snoke since he left the jedi. I also thing Luke was guiding Rey during the fight. Plus Kylo was hurt. Its a stretch but not too much.

He was hurt. Don't expect them to explain it because I doubt they will. They aren't going to go into detail and it seems like they might have subtle hints at things so doesn't look like they will be blatant with that type of stuff down the road anyway. Only blatant stuff you are getting is who is who's father. 

Its weird how in some scenes it looks like kylo is one of the most powerful force users in the series with the whole freezing energy beams in place with inhuman reactions and sensing his fathers presence the second he lands on the notdeathstar. But then he gets his ass kicked in a fight with noobs, cant even pinpoint his fathers location when they are in the same room together and cant force pull a lightsaber to himself half the distance rey was able to on her first try

its realy cool how ghetto his light saber is tho, matches his personality completely

Its weird how in some scenes it looks like kylo is one of the most powerful force users in the series with the whole freezing energy beams in place with inhuman reactions and sensing his fathers presence the second he lands on the notdeathstar. But then he gets his ass kicked in a fight with noobs, cant even pinpoint his fathers location when they are in the same room together and cant force pull a lightsaber to himself half the distance rey was able to on her first try

its realy cool how ghetto his light saber is tho, matches his personality completely

I think it has to do with his emotional instability as well. They made a big deal of that throughout the movie. I wanted his character to be a badass but they made him too childish.

Well It's pretty obvious that Kylo Ren didn't really receive training in the Dark Side, since he was trained by Luke but then turned and had no real "dark side mentor", like he had Luke for the light side.  

This is how Kylo got his "dark side" education

tgE7QTq.jpg

Also don't forget his saber was incomplete while Fin and Rey were using Luke's saber which was complete. It's even stated that Ren's saber had a cracked kyber crystal and his "crossguard" was to vent out the mass of power since his saber couldn't hold it properly.

You can even see his saber being rigid and unstable.

Ya'll suck at picking up on details.
Then again, JB retardation is contagious.

Alright, let's start from the top:

FIRST ORDER:
Purposeful ambiguity. Otherwise they would have explored who Snoke is, the level of conflict on a universal scale. The audience is supposed to have a view point more concentrated around Fin and Rey and as such there is little information on an omnscient scale. Will definitely be delved into more in later movies along with hierarchy, recruitment, regime, etc.
SNOKE: ??? Giant space oaf, looks like an XCOM Alien had an affair with Doctor Who Silence, probably some secret sith master not involved with Empire affairs. Too old to be a new generation-er. Gonna be revealed alongside Knights of Ren later on.

CLONES: Explicitly mentioned by Ren in the film that they are NOT clones, but normal(?dunno what star wars 'normal' constitutes) people. Implied by some of Phasma's lines that there is some brain washing involved in regards to keeping people in line/ along with the regime whatever it be. Also shows some human aspects out of the clones; the witty retort from Rey's guard about tightening the restraints as well as the dying soldier in the beginning looking for solace from Fin in his dying moments.

FIN: Seems to have little prior interaction with other people in terms of personality conflicts. Fascinated by Rey from minute 1. Over indulges when facing some emotions such as when he starts gloating to Phasma during her capture, utterly confused by some of Solo's gestures, etc. Meant to coincide with Rey's "small-world" mindset in that they both are exploring untold territories.

REY: Obviously knowledgeable about certain things beyond her. Very tech-savvy. Hidden past. Perceived to have no force training, but blossoms from her contact with Luke's saber (obviously from resonating with her innate powers) as well as Kylo and seeing his powers first hand. You see her mental shift in that she realized she needs to be mentally confident and controlling of her powers in order for them to work (during the scene of getting out of restraint). Obviously going to be the main Jedi - Luke's mirror.
On a side note with extreme athleticism - Rey inhibits this in a way with her combat prowess shown on Jakku and the fact that she pretty much scales the extent of entire remnants of old Empire machinery without any visible fatigue/issues. But thats just speculation.

KYLO: meant to be edgy whiney sith. It's his character. Has tantrums, no control over his power nor the mentality to fit the role of Vader he wishes - he doesn't have the respect from First Order people that Vader had from the Empire. Looked at as snoke's disciple like the boss's son nobody likes at the work place but everyone has to deal with. Inner conflict is meant to be a binding force between himself and Leia/Han conflict, though doesnt seem to be the only factor causing the marital rift between the two.
My dad likes thinking that Rey is his twin sister, going back to original trilogy ideas, who is presumed dead after a ploy brought by Fett/Hutt family in wanting revenge for the two of them's murder of Jabba. Kylo recovered by baby girl presumed dead, but was really raises as a hostage until something happens and is abandoned on Jakku, being unlooked for by family. Counterargument that Leia would know she's alive through force, though Vader doesn't realize Leia is his daughter until later into the trilogy. Speculation.

JEDI IN GENERAL:
Jedi aren't limited to bloodlines, otherwise the entirety of the Old Republic would be a genetic cesspool. Nor would there be many if there was prohibitions on marital ties. The whole idea present in the prequels is that part of the Jedi duty is identifying force sensitive children and bringing them to the Order to be trained to use their powers for the good of humanity. Order 66 looks to kill off the current Order so that no more resistance to the Sith would be exist, not necessarily the extinction of all Force users. If anything, the raising of force users to be Sith would help the empowerment of the Empire. Also evident that Luke was gathering force sensitive users to establish the Jedi Temple, which then Ren slaughters everyone and runs, leaving Luke distraught and on his way to hermitage. Force sensitivity is not purely genetic. Hopefully it wasn't a large family day care or r/wincest has something to answer for in bribing Abrams.

Willing to refute other concepts as they pop up.
9.5/10 overall.

Only point of disagreement, you state that Kylo doesn't have the same respect that Vader had, but it's a lot closer than you think. Vader was referred to as a "mad dog" in Episode IV multiple times, I'd say on this point they're very similar overall.

Onward, to gripes!

-At the beginning, how did John Boogiedawg get blood on his mask? Lasers don't cause bleeding, they never have, they shouldn't have. WTF

-Non-force sensitives can't use lightsabers, it's pretty much generally accepted, how did John Boogiedawg do it?

-No lost hands, 0/10

-Tie fighers aren't 2 seaters, and they do not have rear-firing capabilities

Onward, to gripes!

-At the beginning, how did John Boogiedawg get blood on his mask? Lasers don't cause bleeding, they never have, they shouldn't have. WTF

-Non-force sensitives can't use lightsabers, it's pretty much generally accepted, how did John Boogiedawg do it?

-No lost hands, 0/10

-Tie fighers aren't 2 seaters, and they do not have rear-firing capabilities

-Was it a blaster bolt or explosion that hit that storm trooper? I forget but why wouldn't a gut shot bleed out even if it was a blaster? They never say it cauterizes the wound which be kind of stupid for gun to do. Not very efficient weapon to kill with.

-Pretty sure Finn is force sensitive and will take a path similar to Luke. I think Rey will take a anakin path but I don't think they will fully take her down that path.

-wouldn't be surprised if that is coming in the next one.

-But they weren't really like the old Tie fighters. Seemed like they made some changes. Maybe they combined the Tie Bomber and Tie fighter? IDK, or maybe it was just a convenient plot device.