Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slyfox

(SPOILERS) Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

--STAFF EDIT-- Please follow these rules

We are getting complaints that text from these posts are showing up in various feeds(main page, mobile, apps). If you post you must copy/paste the follow block at the top of your post... even above quotes!!! If you can't follow this rule then this thread will be deleted and we will go back to infracting/banning those that post spoilers.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

--FINISH EDIT--

Hello everyone,  

I guess there is no topic about this (which is surprising to me), but after seeing the latest Star Wars, I had a few questions maybe you guys will know 

-What is the First Order? I know they came out from the Empire, but who is their leader "Snoke", and where did he come to power? 

-Who is Rey?  I'd like to know more about her story (Orphan on Jakku, future Jedi knight) 

-How did Finn become 'self aware'? Aren't the storm troopers from the Empire clones of Bobba Fett? Apparently he was kidnapped as a child but how does that line up with the Empire? 

-So Kylo Ren (Ben Solo) was a Jedi knight, but how did he turn to the Dark Side? 

Otherwise the new movie was fantastic, really great classic vibe to it.  10/10. 

RIP Han Solo. 

Anything I missed or anything you guys would like to add? 

I watched the movie at the premiere on Thursday and I thought it was amazing! The only answer that I have for one of your questions is that actually no, after Revenge of the Sith the Empire stopped using clones for their Storm troopers. So I believe all the other Storm troopers are like Fin and they were all captured and were trained to kill and all that. It did kind of surprise me that apparently Fin has been the only New Order Storm trooper to end up thinking "hmm maybe what I'm doing is actually wrong". I just thought that surprised me.

So long story short no they don't use clones anymore for Storm troopers, clones were only used for Clone troopers.

And there is still tons of questions that are to be asked, I just hope in the next two movies (Episode 8 and 9) that they clear a lot of questions up!

-How did Finn become 'self aware'? Aren't the storm troopers from the Empire clones of Bobba Fett? Apparently he was kidnapped as a child but how does that line up with the Empire? 

First of all Boba Fett is a clone as well, they are all clones of Jango Fett.

And no they didn´t stop using clones (Kylo Ren even refers to it at some point when he says "If your people can´t catch them without shooting them we should maybe use clones instead of your people" it could also be a fuck up of the german translation but who knows) but they are also using normal people now which get kidnapped at their birth, also he shouldn´t have become self aware because they get trained from their birth on and even have chips in their head to kind of controll them but apparently it didn´t work with him for what reason what so ever.

OH and I didn´t really like the movie.

First of all Boba Fett is a clone as well, they are all clones of Jango Fett.

And no they didn´t stop using clones (Kylo Ren even refers to it at some point when he says "If your people can´t catch them without shooting them we should maybe use clones instead of your people" it could also be a fuck up of the german translation but who knows) but they are also using normal people now which get kidnapped at their birth, also he shouldn´t have become self aware because they get trained from their birth on and even have chips in their head to kind of controll them but apparently it didn´t work with him for what reason what so ever.

OH and I didn´t really like the movie.

No, after the Clones started aging and dying off they started recruiting people and kidnapping people to be Storm troopers.

Read this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper

And it states "As the clones' accelerated aging process began causing their physical skills and abilities to deteriorate, they were replaced by non-clone volunteers and conscripts"

They did use the remaming clones from Revenge of the Sith, but they didn't make anymore after that.

No, after the Clones started aging and dying off they started recruiting people and kidnapping people to be Storm troopers.

Read this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper

And it states "As the clones' accelerated aging process began causing their physical skills and abilities to deteriorate, they were replaced by non-clone volunteers and conscripts"

They did use the remaming clones from Revenge of the Sith, but they didn't make anymore after that.

Yes I know but they are still using clones that is my point :c

Yes I know but they are still using clones that is my point :c

I don't think so, because The Force Awakens is way way in the future from Revenge of the Sith so I doubt any are still left alive since they stopped making them...

Edit: But I do see your point now, at first I thought you were saying that they are still making and using clones for their army lol

Just gonna point out that even if you post Spoiler warning on the thread the 'recent posts' on mobile and the side of the screen still shows the first few lines of text...so probably still gonna spoil shit for people.

It was hard to watch because it was literally just a rehash of A New Hope.

Likewise, the main Character, Rey, was literally a genius in every way and not once in the movie did she ever face a moment where you thought she might struggle. At the point where she runs out of the building after touching the lightsaber, you're sitting there wondering, "Where the fuck did this spastic moment come from?" It's more or less some random plot contrivance to pull the main character into solitude for the evil bad guy to get at her.

The comedy and way the scenes changed so fast also reminded me of The Big Bang Theory show. Expected a lot more tension like in the other movies. Comedy is cool every once in a while, but Han Solo just didn't stop.

Going on to Harrison Ford- I personally thought he wasn't too great of an actor this movie. Probably just because he was too old tbh. It was even worse when we saw his inevitable death scene from a mile away. There was a noticeable shift in the movie's atmosphere when he entered.

What Slyfox had said too was spot on: They NEVER explained anything. It wasn't terribly detrimental to the plot, but it would have been nice to know how things got to where they were. How did the First Order become that powerful so fast? Why didn't the republic stop them from making a super weapon? A lot of it just seemed like it was contrived for the sake of the movie. Poor story writing imo.

Lastly, the villain in this movie sucked. He looked/acted like some angsty, faggot teenager after he took his mask off. Kind of mad about that, but I'm not a Star Wars fanboy so I don't care. It looked like his scars after his last battle might make him look a bit more villainous next movie regardless.

I didn't even expect to watch the movie last night, so it was a pleasant surprise. Character development should have been better, and they should have made their own story. Liked it overall regardless because the production quality was amazing despite it pretty much being a remake of an old movie in a different timeline.

Hello everyone,  

I guess there is no topic about this (which is surprising to me), but after seeing the latest Star Wars, I had a few questions maybe you guys will know 

-What is the First Order? I know they came out from the Empire, but who is their leader "Snoke", and where did he come to power? 

-Who is Rey?  I'd like to know more about her story (Orphan on Jakku, future Jedi knight) 

-So Kylo Ren (Ben Solo) was a Jedi knight, but how did he turn to the Dark Side? 

Otherwise the new movie was fantastic, really great classic vibe to it.  10/10. 

RIP Han Solo. 

Anything I missed or anything you guys would like to add? 

What is the First Order?

As far as I know we are supposed to be given little to no information on the First Order, because the eight movie will be going over the backstory as well as who Snoke is and how he came into power.

Who is Rey?

My guess is Rey is Luke's daughter or somehow related to the Kenobi bloodline. She was insanely strong with the force very early on and was able to even use the Jedi mind trick. Not only that, but she is already stronger than Ben (Kylo Ren) as we saw when Ben tried to read her mind but she was able to counter it. Someone who is that strong to the force has to be related to most likely Luke.

Finn becoming self aware

No idea.

Kylo Ren and the Dark side

In the movie they explained how Snoke got a hold of Ben and convinced him to join. I'm assuming it is very similar to the story of Anakin and Chancellor Palpatine.

Lastly, the villain in this movie sucked. He looked/acted like some angsty, faggot teenager after he took his mask off. Kind of mad about that, but I'm not a Star Wars fanboy so I don't care. It looked like his scars after his last battle might make him look a bit more villainous next movie regardless.

YES! this kid is a fucking faggot!

You guys who are complaining about Kylo Ren being an angsty teenager are stupid. Looking at you Rune.

He was MEANT to be like that, it's his CHARACTER. He was trying to re-create Vader's dream, but was too hasty and had temper tantrums, and failed.

Personally, I thought he was a fantastic character and pulled off the role PERFECTLY.

You guys who are complaining about Kylo Ren being an angsty teenager are stupid. Looking at you Rune.

He was MEANT to be like that, it's his CHARACTER. He was trying to re-create Vader's dream, but was too hasty and had temper tantrums, and failed.

Personally, I thought he was a fantastic character and pulled off the role PERFECTLY.

no he was gay and ur gay

feel bad

Rey CAN'T be related to Luke, as they said in the Trilogy movies and Jedi is forbidden to love.  Maybe Rey is another "there was no father" conception "miracle"... *cough Anakin cough* 

Kyle Ren (Ben Solo) is meant to be a "faggot teenager", that is his character.  He is still in training, and is meant to be weak with the force.  It is kind of weird how Rey is able to use the force with no training what so ever from anyone.  

Overall, the movie was quite good, way better than the trilogy.  Just can't wait till the next one comes out so everything will be answered ;-; 

And @crobat, the 1 week ban is really excessive.  Not that you gave it to me, it's just not right.  

@Cheng I literally said SPOILERS twice in the title...

Rey CAN'T be related to Luke, as they said in the Trilogy movies and Jedi is forbidden to love.  Maybe Rey is another "there was no father" conception "miracle"... *cough Anakin cough* 

Kyle Ren (Ben Solo) is meant to be a "faggot teenager", that is his character.  He is still in training, and is meant to be weak with the force.  It is kind of weird how Rey is able to use the force with no training what so ever from anyone.  

Overall, the movie was quite good, way better than the trilogy.  Just can't wait till the next one comes out so everything will be answered ;-; 

And @crobat, the 1 week ban is really excessive.  Not that you gave it to me, it's just not right.  

@Cheng I literally said SPOILERS twice in the title...

Well the whole "Jedi aren't suppose to fall in love" was a rule back in the original republic so maybe they aren't to strict about it, because anyways weren't they trying to rebuild the Jedi anyway? The only way they could rebuild the Jedi is for Leia and Luke to have kids because they are some of the only ones that actually have the force. So I do think it's quite possible that she is his daughter, but she may not be. We'll just have to see.

And I agree with Slyfox and Sean on Kylo Ren's character. He's suppose to be a crazy teenager who's obsessed with Vader. I do agree that whenever he didn't have the mask on he did seem a whole lot less scary then when he actually wore the mask. I'm hoping in the next movie they will share more details about The First Order and a lot of other stuff and I hope that Kylo Ren is more powerful and more scary then in the first!

I have a couple of problems with the use of force in this movie and a question.

First things first, Did they fucking blow up coruscant? If that was coruscant that shit is stupid.

Edit* ....the Hosnian System. Chandrila and Coruscant are safe.**

Secondly, you do not just stumble upon force powers in the way that Rey did.  Even if she was incredibly powerful and force sensitive there is no way she would have been able to pull off a jedi mind trick with literally ZERO training.  The only ways the force manifests itself in untrained individuals is through things like extreme athletics and resistance to disease.  Resisting Kylo Rens attack is possible enough. 

Kylo Ren being a descendant of the Skywalkers should have been powerful, so when I saw him literally stop an arcbolt midair I wasn't too surprised (However this still would have been stupid hard to do and would have required far more training).  But then he goes on to pretty much get ravaged by Rey and prove to be a worthless sniveling faggot excuse for a sith in every other scene and pretty much get ravaged by Rey. Wtf Disney get your shit straight, unless Rey had some insane grasp of how to fight a force user in a lightsaber battle he should have cut her down in less than 10 seconds, but Disney just doesn't care about how that shit works.

IMO if you are going to completely scrap the cannon storyline that already existed for this timeperiod  you should at least understand some of the finerpoints on how the universe works.

Finn was nearly impossible to identify with as a character, Rey was too flighty for me to actually like and Po was too douchey

I rate Disney/10 

this movie felt like fanfiction from someone with zero creativity. it was a literal shot for shot rehash of a new hope trying to be as safe as possible while barely bringing anything new to the table. Every new idea was left unexplained for the sequels and the entire movie was kind of boring to sit through.

but its a new star wars so 10/10

Ya'll suck at picking up on details.

Then again, JB retardation is contagious.

Alright, let's start from the top:

FIRST ORDER:

Purposeful ambiguity. Otherwise they would have explored who Snoke is, the level of conflict on a universal scale. The audience is supposed to have a view point more concentrated around Fin and Rey and as such there is little information on an omnscient scale. Will definitely be delved into more in later movies along with hierarchy, recruitment, regime, etc.

SNOKE: ??? Giant space oaf, looks like an XCOM Alien had an affair with Doctor Who Silence, probably some secret sith master not involved with Empire affairs. Too old to be a new generation-er. Gonna be revealed alongside Knights of Ren later on.

CLONES: Explicitly mentioned by Ren in the film that they are NOT clones, but normal(?dunno what star wars 'normal' constitutes) people. Implied by some of Phasma's lines that there is some brain washing involved in regards to keeping people in line/ along with the regime whatever it be. Also shows some human aspects out of the clones; the witty retort from Rey's guard about tightening the restraints as well as the dying soldier in the beginning looking for solace from Fin in his dying moments.

FIN: Seems to have little prior interaction with other people in terms of personality conflicts. Fascinated by Rey from minute 1. Over indulges when facing some emotions such as when he starts gloating to Phasma during her capture, utterly confused by some of Solo's gestures, etc. Meant to coincide with Rey's "small-world" mindset in that they both are exploring untold territories.

REY: Obviously knowledgeable about certain things beyond her. Very tech-savvy. Hidden past. Perceived to have no force training, but blossoms from her contact with Luke's saber (obviously from resonating with her innate powers) as well as Kylo and seeing his powers first hand. You see her mental shift in that she realized she needs to be mentally confident and controlling of her powers in order for them to work (during the scene of getting out of restraint). Obviously going to be the main Jedi - Luke's mirror.

On a side note with extreme athleticism - Rey inhibits this in a way with her combat prowess shown on Jakku and the fact that she pretty much scales the extent of entire remnants of old Empire machinery without any visible fatigue/issues. But thats just speculation.

KYLO: meant to be edgy whiney sith. It's his character. Has tantrums, no control over his power nor the mentality to fit the role of Vader he wishes - he doesn't have the respect from First Order people that Vader had from the Empire. Looked at as snoke's disciple like the boss's son nobody likes at the work place but everyone has to deal with. Inner conflict is meant to be a binding force between himself and Leia/Han conflict, though doesnt seem to be the only factor causing the marital rift between the two.

My dad likes thinking that Rey is his twin sister, going back to original trilogy ideas, who is presumed dead after a ploy brought by Fett/Hutt family in wanting revenge for the two of them's murder of Jabba. Kylo recovered by baby girl presumed dead, but was really raises as a hostage until something happens and is abandoned on Jakku, being unlooked for by family. Counterargument that Leia would know she's alive through force, though Vader doesn't realize Leia is his daughter until later into the trilogy. Speculation.

JEDI IN GENERAL:

Jedi aren't limited to bloodlines, otherwise the entirety of the Old Republic would be a genetic cesspool. Nor would there be many if there was prohibitions on marital ties. The whole idea present in the prequels is that part of the Jedi duty is identifying force sensitive children and bringing them to the Order to be trained to use their powers for the good of humanity. Order 66 looks to kill off the current Order so that no more resistance to the Sith would be exist, not necessarily the extinction of all Force users. If anything, the raising of force users to be Sith would help the empowerment of the Empire. Also evident that Luke was gathering force sensitive users to establish the Jedi Temple, which then Ren slaughters everyone and runs, leaving Luke distraught and on his way to hermitage. Force sensitivity is not purely genetic. Hopefully it wasn't a large family day care or r/wincest has something to answer for in bribing Abrams.

Willing to refute other concepts as they pop up.

9.5/10 overall.

Saw the movie today and loved it. Best part for me was the fighting scene with Rey and Kylo. 10/10 would use the force again.

RIP Han Solo

Okay this may not matter to 99% of the general public but the lightsaber battles just wouldnt have gone so well for Fin/Rey.  When there is a lightsaber battle between two force sensitive individuals it is a battle fought on two levels, physical through forms and technique but more important is the mental battle using the force.  Each opponent creates a "bubble" around them-self that makes it so the other cannot sense their next moves, this is how jedi are able to deflect lasers and such, they just know that it's coming. So anyway both battle it out to crush the others bubble and gain the advantage of knowing what the other is going to do next, once the bubble is broken the fight is pretty much over. This is where the problem arises, Kylo would have ravaged Finn and more than likely Rey almost immediately for this reason.

tl:dr  Disney doesn't know how the force works 

Okay this may not matter to 99% of the general public but the lightsaber battles just wouldnt have gone so well for Fin/Rey.  When there is a lightsaber battle between two force sensitive individuals it is a battle fought on two levels, physical through forms and technique but more important is the mental battle using the force.  Each opponent creates a "bubble" around them-self that makes it so the other cannot sense their next moves, this is how jedi are able to deflect lasers and such, they just know that it's coming. So anyway both battle it out to crush the others bubble and gain the advantage of knowing what the other is going to do next, once the bubble is broken the fight is pretty much over. This is where the problem arises, Kylo would have ravaged Finn and more than likely Rey almost immediately for this reason.

tl:dr  Disney doesn't know how the force works 

This is true but kylo was shot in the side so i think that was messing him up the most. might have been different if he wasn't shot who knows.

He's shot critically by Chewie following the one scene, which they reference more than once when he beats his wound and blood splatters on the snow. He wasn't portrayed as level headed to begin with so him being pissed off and injured probably doesn't lead into him being a calm fighter. Which is also a key point - he has a lot of brute strength/potential force, but has no idea how to properly utilize it, hence Snoke's beckoning him to be brought back to him to finish his training. As far as we know, kylo has his limited training from the Jedi Temple and that's it. He's more than likely received something from First Order puppeteers, but it's unsure. We also see that some of kylo's cosmetics get in his way during the fight, ie: the large cape being a hindrance at one point and his saber having both useful (pinning fin against the tree and searing his shoulder for a good amount of time) but also being a little too big/heavy for him to wield properly under fatigue. His gear is supposed to help him model after Vader in hopes of seeking this power he thinks is entitled to his bloodline, but now its becoming his undoing because he's bound to fail seeking the same outcomes as vader through being a mere poser.

This is true but kylo was shot in the side so i think that was messing him up the most. might have been different if he wasn't shot who knows.

He's shot critically by Chewie following the one scene, which they reference more than once when he beats his wound and blood splatters on the snow.

That is how I saw it. However, they could have played that up more to emphasis that he was at severe disadvantage. Something like first show him cringe holding his side as a bunch of blood hits the snow. Then maybe uses his own lightsaber to cauterize the wound. Then he does that weird beating his side thing but immediately goes into his fighting stance and give a war cry. 

The time between him getting "pumped up"(not very well acted) and them fighting was too long. If they had finn ignite the lightsaber first then had kylo do this crazy prep to get pumped and have him attack first then I think that would make more sense to show how badly hurt he was and he had to muster up the strength to fight.

However, I get why they staged the scene that way. It was more about Finn/Rey and what would happen to their characters. I really hope this scene had subtle hints to their character development. Finn is reluctant to use the lightsaber and a little worried but he does so to protect Rey. I see him more in a Luke role not wanting to come to terms with his powers. Which is I think will be a big twist because everyone is expected Rey to be like Luke. However, Rey was super aggressive when she got the lightsaber. If you notice Kylo is defensive when he is dueling which would make sense because he was training to be a Jedi and light has a more defensive fighting style. Rey just went super aggressive and going for the kill. I would not be surprised if they have her be persuaded by the Dark side.

Given the "homage" imagery they used in several scenes I suspect that is the path for Rey. In the beginning of the movie she put on that helmet in a scene very reminiscent to child anakin wearing the pod racing helmet... and we all know how he turned out.