Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sean

Windows 10 is now available for upgrade

Had it for about 24 hours and went back. The indexing (for me at least) is fucking terrible/non-existent. Couldn't find any programs I installed even after recreating the index file

The snapping between screens pissed me off to no end, I want to move to the next screen with my window, not fucking snap it and require way more mouse movement than necessary to get it over there.

Also all the settings to disable was stupid, going from a clean Win8 I had to restart my computer a couple times before it would even recognize my other monitor with the driver updates. I also couldn't create a fucking shortcut in my programs folder due to permissions even after verifying I was in the administrators group.

That's my rant, and I'm sure I did something wrong but the whole thing was just a pain.

I'm being a trooper and sticking it out with Windows 10. I've had it for 24 hours and I don't see any performance increases from 8.1 to 10. However, if you have Windows 7, I STRONGLY encourage you to update to windows 8.1. 

However, if you have Windows 7, I STRONGLY encourage you to update to windows 8.1. 

Why? What's so good about it that I should leave my familiar desktop OS and then install this new OS to make my desktop look and feel like a mobile device in which all my information is needlessly stored on the internet somewhere. (WHY, MICROSOFT, why can't you release a desktop version in which there is NO TOUCHSCREEN ENVIRONMENT or ANY OF THE CHANGES TO EXPLORER so it at least feels like the familiar OS i've grown to love since I got my first Windows 95 box?! There are still some of us that don't want to work off of a desktop tablet mobile phone server.)

I'm not making this post out of malicious intent or to be a dick or anything if that crosses anyone's mind. I'm legitimately frustrated with the road M$ has taken, but what can you do?

Why? What's so good about it that I should leave my familiar desktop OS and then install this new OS to make my desktop look and feel like a mobile device in which all my information is needlessly stored on the internet somewhere. (WHY, MICROSOFT, why can't you release a desktop version in which there is NO TOUCHSCREEN ENVIRONMENT or ANY OF THE CHANGES TO EXPLORER so it at least feels like the familiar OS i've grown to love since I got my first Windows 95 box?! There are still some of us that don't want to work off of a desktop tablet mobile phone server.)

I'm not making this post out of malicious intent or to be a dick or anything if that crosses anyone's mind. I'm legitimately frustrated with the road M$ has taken, but what can you do?

because it makes your pentium pc perform better

However, if you have Windows 7, I STRONGLY encourage you to update to windows 8.1. 

Why? What's so good about it that I should leave my familiar desktop OS and then install this new OS to make my desktop look and feel like a mobile device in which all my information is needlessly stored on the internet somewhere. (WHY, MICROSOFT, why can't you release a desktop version in which there is NO TOUCHSCREEN ENVIRONMENT or ANY OF THE CHANGES TO EXPLORER

P much this, I stuck with 7 even after 8 came out. Planning to try 10 but 8 was just a clusterfuck of things I needed to get used to -- the start menu for example. Waay too much work for stuff I will never even touch/look at.

Went from 8.1 to 10, Had for about an hour, worked great, but wouldnt launch csgo or css. Had to go back, very sad times.

Went from 8.1 to 10, Had for about an hour, worked great, but wouldnt launch csgo or css. Had to go back, very sad times.

When I first launched csgo it took me like 15 minutes for it to load but now it loads fine

When I first launched csgo it took me like 15 minutes for it to load but now it loads fine

Mine came up with an error, not anything to load. :\

Fml.. Finally got the win 10 update but it won't start... After pressing the "ok update" button it gets stuck to "processing" part.. I think that's how it translates..

GG! NO RE! -.-

Fml.. Finally got the win 10 update but it won't start... After pressing the "ok update" button it gets stuck to "processing" part.. I think that's how it translates..

GG! NO RE! -.-

That's a common problem. Just go in your control panel, install all updates, restart pc, check for updates again and windows 10 upgrade should show up there.

I honestly don't know how you guys are having issues. I've been on it since the day it came out (Also was part of the insider beta thing the day it came out, but I couldn't deal with drivers and stuff not working right). But I have had better performance in my games (partially due to just needing a fresh install anyways I'd assume). But as for those that are still hesitant to move from 7, Chosen is right. I understand you didn't like the feel of 8, with the new layout, no start menu etc. After a bit of time, it was actually easier to use than 7 was, it just took some time, and my computer always booted onto the typical desktop screen, just passing the tiled screen all together. I only used that to quick search for something. 

As for Windows 10, I like it a lot more, and it gives you your start menu back. Microsoft even said something to the effect of knowing that Windows 8 wouldn't be as popular, and would be a bit rocky, but it was more of a stepping stone to their next operating system (this was before/when it came out, not after seeing peoples' reactions). Learning from what people liked, and didn't, and although it's not perfect, I think it's in the right direction.

I'd also like to point out (mainly to those of you that are refusing to change because you don't want to learn something new) that most of you are in your late teens, maybe early twenties. You're kidding yourselves if you think technology is not going to continue to change, veering even further from what you currently know. If you're not willing to learn something as simple as this, in 30 years, you're going to be just like your parents (maybe grandparents if your parents are younger/not-so-tech-stupid) in that you refuse to use any of the new things that come out or have to constantly call your kids/grand-kids asking how to do something that seems as stupid to them as you explaining to your grandma how to open internet explorer.

I'd still like to get off of Windows, I really hope that Steam keeps pushing their OS for Linux where I can run the majority of games on Linux without issues.

Maybe (although probably not) this whole W10 privacy thing will stir up more interest in Linux

That's a common problem. Just go in your control panel, install all updates, restart pc, check for updates again and windows 10 upgrade should show up there.

Yeah I left it to install after 8h of processing still nothing... So I went to work :P

Now giving it another shot...

works

I'd still like to get off of Windows, I really hope that Steam keeps pushing their OS for Linux where I can run the majority of games on Linux without issues.

Maybe (although probably not) this whole W10 privacy thing will stir up more interest in Linux

?

I've never had an issue running anything on Linux......

Upgraded to windows 10 the day of and absolutely no problems. I didn't see any fps gain on my desktop for csgo, but holy hell for my laptop, the fps went from an average of 180ish to 200+ and my temperatures got about 2-3 degrees cooler. It was the first time I saw my laptop run anything 200+ consistently

Also, for those getting weird font issues in certain programs like steam, which chosesone had a problem with, open up your font options in control panel and check to see if the font size is at 125%, if it is, switch it to 100%. Users who run more than one monitor or run at a resolution that's higher than 1920*1080 might have this issue.

?

I've never had an issue running anything on Linux......

Same, been gaming in Linux since the 90s, no problems

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Upgraded to windows 10 the day of and absolutely no problems. I didn't see any fps gain on my desktop for csgo, but holy hell for my laptop, the fps went from an average of 180ish to 200+ and my temperatures got about 2-3 degrees cooler. It was the first time I saw my laptop run anything 200+ consistently

Also, for those getting weird font issues in certain programs like steam, which chosesone had a problem with, open up your font options in control panel and check to see if the font size is at 125%, if it is, switch it to 100%. Users who run more than one monitor or run at a resolution that's higher than 1920*1080 might have this issue.

Just pretend I'm negrepping you.

Well first impression is goodish... There are bugs here and there mostly with audio settings.. Somehow win10 keeps muting some programs when you launch multiple... And it dropped my mobo output from the sound devices all together for some reason... Also for some reason I couldn't remove the windows store from the taskbar.. Had to restart comp for it to take effect.

Starts hella fast though

Did you clean install, sounds like upgrade issues

The start up time is about the same as windows 8.1

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.

I attempted all 3 methods.  First I try creating a bootstick, which gave me 3 different errors over the course of about an hour, so I said fuck that, and tried just an upgrade from the download client.  Same errors, another wasted 2 hours, because it insists on downloading the entire fucking client again if you fail the first time.  I unplugged peripherals and deleted extra languages in the 100mb partition, but I was not going to go through the trouble of cracking open my case and figuring out which of my 6 SATA connections I needed to disconnect (1 SSD main drive, 4 HDD storage drives, DVD drive).  Doesn't matter if installing this OS on my computer triggered the second coming of Christ, it wasn't worth the trouble.

In the end I just burned the image to a disk, bam, first install worked with zero issues.  Using it now.

Upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.

I attempted all 3 methods. First I try creating a bootstick, which gave me 3 different errors over the course of about an hour, so I said fuck that, and tried just an upgrade from the download client. Same errors, another wasted 2 hours, because it insists on downloading the entire fucking client again if you fail the first time. I unplugged peripherals and deleted extra languages in the 100mb partition, but I was not going to go through the trouble of cracking open my case and figuring out which of my 6 SATA connections I needed to disconnect (1 SSD main drive, 4 HDD storage drives, DVD drive). Doesn't matter if installing this OS on my computer triggered the second coming of Christ, it wasn't worth the trouble.

In the end I just burned the image to a disk, bam, first install worked with zero issues. Using it now.

What did you use to activate windows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk