Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sean

Windows 10 is now available for upgrade

So as you all probably know by now, Windows 10 is officially released, although I am not planning to upgrade soon, I have had the insider edition on my secondary PC, and I find it to be quite stable.

Most of you had information that you could upgrade on a non-genuine version of Windows 7/8/8.1 ... this is false. You will continue to have a non-genuine version of Windows if you upgrade, regardless. No point.

For those of you who DO have a genuine windows 7/8/8.1 key, you can go ahead and upgrade. But as a warning, I suggest you first continue with upgrading to windows 10, and if you want to do a CLEAN INSTALL, do it afterwards, otherwise you'll be in a bit of a shitty situation, since you won't have that free valid windows 10 image without utilizing the upgrade feature. I also recommend you do a disk cleanup and dskchk after upgrading to make sure everything is solid there.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS have a plan B, in case something goes wrong. Whether its a backup install or a flash drive/disk with windows on it incase something goes wrong. Never be left in the dust in case something goes wrong.

In terms of doing a clean install of windows 10 after the upgrade you can head over to  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and downloading the image.

"Note If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer"

If you wish to keep a record of your old windows key before you upgrade... (you get a new generic license when you upgrade), there are several tools which actually allow you to grab it. 

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

and

http://janek2012.eu/ultimate-pid-checker/

and for the real questions... How will my video games be on this brand new version of windows?

AMD and Nvidia released stable versions of their drivers for Windows 10, and I have tested all of the games this community plays and they all work perfectly, without any hiccup on both intel based and amd based PCs.

PSA: I ran into a bit of a problem where my games were locked at 60 fps, the reason for this is because the xbox DVR app was enabled and was ready to record constantly, which for some reason locked my games. So if you're stuck there just disable the DVR crap, it's useless.

If you have any other questions you can post in this thread or use google, I can answer most.

Also, if you have any issues that you particularly can't stand about windows 10, you can easily go back to windows 8.1 if you had that previously installed and upgraded.

j0PeGEh.png

im just gunna stick with my windows 7 for now. probably gunna be lots of bugs nd shit like windows 8 when it first came out. (I HATE WINDOWS 8)

You didn't even read my post rofl

im just gunna stick with my windows 7 for now. probably gunna be lots of bugs nd shit like windows 8 when it first came out. (I HATE WINDOWS 8)

You must be some kind of OS Guru

i did and i stated my opinion on the matter. WINDOWS7MASTERRACE

i dont really listen to opinions of people that got caught by a simple phishing method.

you guys are ruining my thought-out thread man this is tech department not spam 

Is your computer plugged in? No? Well ma'am you should plug it in real quick... did it turn on? Good, glad to be of service. *hangs up phone* Dumb bitch.

Thank you mr computer man. You may have saved us countless threads by people like 

This guy ^.

I was in beta testing for Windows 10 for a year or so. Can I get genuine for free?
If you're upgrading from 8 I believe so.

I was in beta testing for Windows 10 for a year or so. Can I get genuine for free?

I'm assuming that means you don't have a valid copy of Windows? The one thing that Sean left out was that originally, Microsoft had said valid or not you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. They retracted that, but from what I understand if you reserved a copy before that happened, you are still entitled to that upgrade ( I could be wrong on this part, my point was more that it was it was originally stated by Microsoft that you could, the second part is just what I heard, as I have a valid copy, I didn't follow it too much).

Acutally, afaik windows insider associates get a free license if you were beta testing. Quick google search says you can disable the insider builds and upgrade windows to the RTM build. 

Waiting a couple months for everything to get ironed out and when more peer reviewed results are released.

Also been a rumour about it having issues with overclocked PCs

Waiting a couple months for everything to get ironed out and when more peer reviewed results are released.

Also been a rumour about it having issues with overclocked PCs

Good call, I actually did overclocking via AMD overdrive/MSI afterburner for both my CPU and GPU and was running very stable on all games the community plays. Not sure about newer Nvidia cards but google is your friend.

Have you tried Microsoft Edge yet?

Great browser, unfortunately did not have extension support in the Insider build, could have it in the future or in the RTM build. Less RAM consumption compared to Chrome and is extremely fluid, has a great GUI, etc. Just missing the big extension support.

I'm assuming that means you don't have a valid copy of Windows? The one thing that Sean left out was that originally, Microsoft had said valid or not you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. They retracted that, but from what I understand if you reserved a copy before that happened, you are still entitled to that upgrade ( I could be wrong on this part, my point was more that it was it was originally stated by Microsoft that you could, the second part is just what I heard, as I have a valid copy, I didn't follow it too much).

I left it out because I know they definitely did retract that offer for non-genuine users and I really don't recommend non-genuine users to upgrade to windows 10 via the upgrade offer because it will continue to be non-genuine and not receive signed windows updates.

lol noob.

ive been using win10 for about 2 months now. no problems in gaming or anything else. I started running RTM (what's now GA) about 2 weeks ago and it's very solid. Edge is a great browser but lacking as Sean mentioned so i still use chrome. 

if you're on 7 still.. you've been a retard for a little while now. if you're on 8/8.1 that's fine, windows 10 is what 8/8.1 should've been.