Sign in to follow this  
ChosenOne2000

Recruitment "No" Votes

No Votes  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should "no" votes require an explanation ?

• Yes, a voter should be required to list why they voted no for the vote to be valid
    • No, a voter should be allowed to vote "no" without explanation.

There has been a recent discussion about the validity of "no" votes, by spammers in the recruitment threads. Should a "no" vote be valid without an explanation? What makes an explanation valid, thus allowing the "no" vote to be valid?

I want to hear your thoughts on the subject.

I heard spell made you do this (Staff leak??)

:D i think they should.

He just thought I should revisit an old idea that was hard to enforce in the past. I'm willing to give it another shot, but I need community buy-in to make it work. The community can help police R&R as well.

Yes

When I go to vote on someone's app and they play a server I don't play on at all, I go by what the community has to say, and the support the person has from the community. If people are just voting no for no reason at all,and just trolling, it could possibly influence someone to vote no, when the person in recruitment period could actually be a good player on the server. 

Edited by Eddy

I understand it being a pain in the ass seeing certain members consistently vote no without showing their reason, or in the case of Sakaro no reason, but you must consider that sometimes people just don't want to share their reasons. It could be due to a personal matter, or whatever but I think they should be able to keep the right to not post their reasoning, though as mentioned before, it would be nice to have a valid reason out there.

**As to what Eddy is saying, in my opinion, you should not be voting based on other people's votes. This is your vote, not theirs. If you don't have enough knowledge of who the player is or how they act, simply abstain from voting. Its there for a reason.

Yes

When I go to vote on someone's app and they play a server I don't play on at all, I go by what the community has to say, and the support the person has from the community. If people are just voting no for no reason at all,and just trolling, it could possibly influence someone to vote no, when the person in recruitment period could actually be a good player on the server. 

dont vote, then. if you dont know the person at all, you dont need to vote on them.

The entire reason I brought up the idea of requiring a "valid" reason for no votes is simply:

"maybe I just don't like seeing people say no to joining without atleast telling them what they did wrong/ or appeared to do wrong.
Requiring it on a "yes" vote shouldn't be needed, since if you say yes, it means you have only had good experiences with them, but a "no" vote can be a no for multiple reasons, and without the reasoning behind it, you don't know what you did wrong"

You should at-least have the decency to give a reason why you voted no on someones app, so they know what they did wrong or how they are being seen as on the servers. If you voted no simply because you don't like them, then well that is technically a "valid" reason since they had made a negative impression. I am not wanting people to write a novella on the reasons they shouldn't be let in , but rather a small little sentence saying either a) you made a bad impression on jb, b ) your forum posts are terrible, c) You constantly troll, you need to be less of an asshole.

Those aren't the only "valid" reasons obviously, but it makes it easier for a recruit to either know what they did wrong or what SMALL things they can do to improve. I'm not wanting people to do a 180 and completely change, but small changes can greatly improve presence either on servers or forums.

Edited by Spell
smalll typos

I understand it being a pain in the ass seeing certain members consistently vote no without showing their reason, or in the case of Sakaro no reason, but you must consider that sometimes people just don't want to share their reasons. It could be due to a personal matter, or whatever but I think they should be able to keep the right to not post their reasoning, though as mentioned before, it would be nice to have a valid reason out there.

**As to what Eddy is saying, in my opinion, you should not be voting based on other people's votes. This is your vote, not theirs. If you don't have enough knowledge of who the player is or how they act, simply abstain from voting. Its there for a reason.

I was talking to spell about sakaro voting no on everybody's app for no reason at all, then this was made, but I mainly just wanted sakaro's voting privileges taken away. If you look at every single app in community vote right now, he has voted no on every single one of them, and has not given a single reason as to why, you can even look back 3 months and see him doing the exact same thing. I believe when it comes to personal reason when voting no, a simple "no,past experiences haven't been good" is good enough, I don't want people to be forced into writing walls of text when they vote no, but I would like to see something done about sakaro's "no, lol" and "something something something" reasons.

I usually don't concern myself with people's apps I don't know, but when it comes to the end of the month and people haven't gotten around to voting, I like to help out by looking at what the SO's of the server and some of the regulars have to say about the person. I worded my original statement wrong, it should'v gone something along the lines of "troll no votes hurt the recruits chances of getting in, when they simply have done nothing wrong". Maybe these new vote counts will counter the trolls... idk

Edited by Eddy

Validity of reason is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe being a bad TTT player is a good enough reason for one person to say no but another to say thats not important.

I think that any 'no' votes should be accompanied by at least a little bit of an explanation.

Let's say someone is playing on one of our servers every day, they're enjoying it, and never even hear any complaints or anything about them, then goes to the forums and applies only to see multiple 'no' votes with no reason. This can really be frustrating for that person, and not only that but it gives even less incite as to what kind of a person they are, making it that much harder for staff (as well as the remaining clan members who have yet to vote) to decide if they should make it into the clan or not.

As said by Spell it's really the little things that count, the way you view that person and the way that person views their self can really be quite different.

However both sides are really quite even, as again said already some people may not be comfortable sharing their 'no' reason with everyone, regardless of what it is.

They should have an explanation just so the person applying knows what they are doing wrong in some cases. Don't think about it as explaining your reason to the person but thinking about it if you were applying to join or for a promotion. Wouldn't you like to know why some people said no?

People shouldn't have to give a reason for voting no. True, the applicant might like to see why however it isn't all that important. Obviously if someone is being spammed no votes they are either being trolled or most of the community has a reason they don't want to vote yes.

Making someone give a reason won't change anything. Anyone can bullshit a reason so all your doing is making no voters add another line. Leave it the way it is. If people who vote no want to give a valid real reason for it then good for them. They're giving the applicant insight on what to work on. If they don't give a reason then oh well. It's not like your going to have someone scan every applicant's thread looking for valid reasons and constantly changing the count because someone's reason wasn't good enough.

At first I was going to say yes make them explain the vote for no and then after thinking about sketch and Drunk both present completely valid points. You don't need to vote for every recruit that comes walking up. If you have had interaction with a person and they are applying vote yes or no otherwise just don't vote at all.

/>

Make them type a captcha in recruitment threads, filters spam

Lol'd.

In an ideal world, it would be nice for everyone to have a reason to say no. However, all it would bring about is having the people who already vote no consistantly to start including some made up excuse.

People shouldn't have to give a reason for voting no. True, the applicant might like to see why however it isn't all that important. Obviously if someone is being spammed no votes they are either being trolled or most of the community has a reason they don't want to vote yes.

Making someone give a reason won't change anything. Anyone can bullshit a reason so all your doing is making no voters add another line. Leave it the way it is. If people who vote no want to give a valid real reason for it then good for them. They're giving the applicant insight on what to work on. If they don't give a reason then oh well. It's not like your going to have someone scan every applicant's thread looking for valid reasons and constantly changing the count because someone's reason wasn't good enough.

At first I was going to say yes make them explain the vote for no and then after thinking about sketch and Drunk both present completely valid points. You don't need to vote for every recruit that comes walking up. If you have had interaction with a person and they are applying vote yes or no otherwise just don't vote at all.

It's not about voting on every recruit that comes up, however it is about giving recruits valid feedback if they are getting voted no on. If you haven't had interaction with someone, you probably shouldn't vote on someones application. However, giving constructive feedback via your reasons is a good way to let someone know that they are either doing something correctly or not in their perceived appearance on the forums or ingame.

I don't understand? I would hope im allowed to have an opinion without being forced to detail it to everyone. I mean this is kinda like extremely invasive.

This was not meant to be invasive, if you have reasons that you wish to vote no on someones application, then you don't necessarily have to voice that reason to everyone. However, what you should do is at-least let the recruit know if they would like to via pm. This can easily be done with the reason "No, if you would like to know why, feel free to private message me"

@Drunk: The valid reason is merely a reason other than the obvious troll "lolno, 'something something something' " posts in which it's obvious you voted no just for the sake of voting no. If you want to put time into bullshitting a reason to vote no, well good for you, voting "no" means that much to you that you have to type out a bullshit reason then go for it.