Sign in to follow this  
Ironic

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Thoughts/Opinions [SPOILERS])

Feel free to post your opinion on the new Star Wars movie here! Don't forget to use the "spoiler" button over all your text so no one gets butt hurt.

Spoiler

Honestly, the movie wasn't terrible, but there was definitely some parts I didn't enjoy. The fact that Leia was able to survive being sucked into space and used "the force" to fly back to the ship had so many people in my theater going "The fuck....." (yes, people screamed that lol) was such a turn off almost for the rest of the movie. Then, later on Snoke dies in the most stupidest way possible by Kylo just moving the lightsaber over a little bit on his chair then activating it through the force, not to mention the whole movie we still didn't learn a single thing about Snoke and how the whole First Order was even formed through Snoke, or how Snoke found Kylo.

Now, besides all that I thought the rest wasn't bad. There was some great space battles, as well as ground lightsaber battles.

What are your guys' opinion?

4 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Spoiler

I thought the movie was great, but I do share your opinion on the Leia using the force part. It felt really weird and out of place; like it shouldn't have really been a part of the movie since it doesn't really add much in terms of the movie. 

spoiler perma ban :cmonBruh:

Spoiler

I wasn't a huge fan of what seemed to be "forced comedy". Some places a joke was cracked had pretty bad timing. The Leia thing was kind of strange, simply because we never see her use the force except for the "6th sense" she has mentally.  The film pulled way too much from the original trilogy.  Off the top of my head, the salt planet reminded me way too much of Hoth from episode V, the scene in the throne room resembled the throne room scene in episode VI.  It just looks like the films aren't bringing anything new to the table. 

All in all, it was a good movie and I wouldn't say it was a waste of money by a long shot.

Edited by Avery

Ok boys lemme list EVERYTHING, I thought was wrong with the movie. I'll probaby forget some things doe.

Here we go 

Spoiler

Ok so, first of all this movie didn't explain how rey knew how to use the jedi mind tricks from force awaken nor did it show us who made the map that led to luke skywalker NOR did it tell us how someone who never held a lightsaber before could beat someone who has ie. kylo ren.

The movie suffered from many VERY stupid plot decisions.  For example, When Holdo was promoted if she just TOLD poe dameron about the plan finn would not have gone to the planet to find a code breaker and then accidentally compromising the mission they started in the first place. This led to almost ALL of their fucking shuttles to be blown up. IT could have ALL been avoided! Second, the love interests make no sense anymore.  Why would they introduce all these potential love interests when they haven't even addressed the ones from episode 7. For example, finn and rey?? or rey and kylo?? or rey and poe dameron. For fucks sake they have no clue what the fuck they are writing. Skywaker dieing from exhaustion was the biggest joke ever.  You see luke exhausted bending over a rock then the next scene hes fucking chilling in a meditation pose like nothing is wrong. THATS when he dies....the fuck. If you look at his death compared to any others THERE IS NO emotional attachment at all. Look at vader or obiwan or yoda or han solo. All those deaths were WAY more emotional than luke just fucking chilling and meditating after making a 5 minute hologram.  I won't talk about the stupid plot choice to make him almost kill ben solo even though it is fucking retarded.  Anyways, near the end when they are on crait (salt planet) they think of a way to get out of the base at the end because luke magically came into the place (we later find out it was a hologram or projection but that means there should be no way out. JK ROCKS ARE BLOCKING AN EXIT THERE ACTUALLY IS A WAY OUT GUYS.   Third, remember how much training it took for luke to even use the force just to move a tiny fucking rock, look at rey with no training or the little kid at the end of the movie who brought the broom to him LOL force actually takes no training at all to master apparently. Now lets talk about character development, Phasma had probably 5 minutes of screen time this movie and probably 2 minutes from the last. For her being advertised as much as she was it was VERY disappointing seeing ZERO backstory on her character. Same can be said about SNOKE. We finally get to see snoke and who the fuck this ugly mother fucker is and before he even gets to show any kind of backstory, jk we kill him off.  We don't see the knights of ren so that's probably for the next movie (which i won't be seeing) and now we have the issue of addressing the last character which is poe dameron.  We don't see any character development from him at all even after all his fucking mistakes. Hes just the same person with no backstory and personality. Why would i care about this fucking guy?? Hes really good at flying ships OK.  We don't learn about finn and his heritage. We ATLEAST learn about Rey and her family. There were so many things however that could have just been a MILLION times better. For example, why is the rey timeline taking place over the span of days while the main storyline taking just a couple of hours. How does it sync at all if the movies pacing is going directly from the last movie.  It doesn't make any sense at all.  The only thing that CAN be said is the writing for these past two movies are LAZY as fuck. I'm done with starwars.  You probably didn't read all this shit but yeah for people who actually LIKE continuity it was VERY disappointing.

Spoiler

I think some of you guys forget that in every Star Wars movie the plot is pretty convenient for the Rebels. This movie was no different. 

I agree the humor was forced (pun intended) a little too often but I suppose its all to add to the entertainment of the movie. We should remember what the new movies are made for: entertainment. And it's hard to deny the movie was entertaining. It's gotta cast a huge net to make it entertaining for all and I think in the end they succeeded. 

It was still a fun ride all in all and worth seeing in theatres... even with the weak plot holes and poorly timed humor. 

Edited by Sean

spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler 

Spoiler

I think that killing snoke abruptly sucked ass, he was cool as hell and I wanted to see a larger story revolve around him....

I liked how they ended Luke's saga, it was the correct way, and Leia not dying in this one was stupid. 

Also, that purple haired chick kamizake'in was DOPE.

Edited by Sean

Martyrdom played a huge role in the movie and how to win a battle/war. I'm not sure I like that tbh, especially with all the kids that go and see Star Wars.

11 hours ago, Sean said:

spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler 

Hide contents

I think that killing snoke abruptly sucked ass, he was cool as hell and I wanted to see a larger story revolve around him....

I liked how they ended Luke's saga, it was the correct way, and Leia not dying in this one was stupid. 

Also, that purple haired chick kamizake'in was DOPE.

Spoiler

snoke was total BS. I'm guessing maybe they are planning a follow up movie of how he came into power and his backstory

Leia didn't die because they did not alter her story. They said they debated but decided it was better to honor her by not changing the story. The going theory is the next will be a bigger jump in time and she will only be meantioned. Her likeness will not appear... or that's what they are saying as of current.

The hyperspace bullet was insane!!! So awesome.

Spoiler

1. Rey is explained to have a lot of raw potential and energy by Luke. He says the only other person he's seen that level of innate strength before was Kylo. You can write off the unknowingly using mind tricks as raw power being carried by the will/want of the action to overcome the lack of expertise or finesse that comes with experience.

2. i'll have to relook at the map references in 7 since there was literally no mentions of it in 8 lol

3. Rey fighting on par with kylo. Can't really give this any credence given that we now know Kylo definitely had a lightsaber at the Academy when he defends himself from Luke, so one can all but assume he's had training with it. Before that, one could perhaps argue he had never actually dueled another lightsaber, but we now know that other lightsabers definitely exist, probably made by Luke or looted remnants. Cop out emotional rage and emotional instability from Rey/Kylo respectively factoring in? Heck, you could argue Luke had the same problem. Who is he going to practice actual duels against in that world beyond Vader? thats probably a weaker argument to make though.

4. Holdo didn't really have a plan from the looks of it. I interpreted it as "Hey, as time has passed and nothing else has turned the tides into our favor, we'll abandon ship now that we've gotten into position near the planet and go from there." Not like going to an abandoned facility with who knows what resources is a viable plan one would go with without an alternative in the situation given whether or not they would even get off the planet w/o millenium falcon since no allies were willing to come to a rescue. I think Holdo was hoping for allies of some sort to come. I don't think she wanted to sacrifice herself which is why she took so long to come to that decision, yet she was never going to ask it of anyone else as a leader. Heck, sending everyone on shuttles and immediately turning around and kamikazi'ing at lightspeed sounds like a REALLY good strategy now that you've seen it in action, it just requires sacrificing troops, and who would want to volunteer for that. If anything, Poe is the catalyst for her to give up her notions of trying to find some other method. She loves the fire that he has and she is willing to let go of herself in order for the survival of that fire of rebellion to live on.

4.5. Guillermo del toro's character was.... weird. I understand the notion of going to another planet and giving this universe expanding view of a place where the rich elite exist and profit from war and such. I liked the idea of it, but think it was executed poorly. Very brief glimpse of these people beyond "haha we have money lets gamble and party woo". I like the introduction of Guillermo showing Finn "Hey, you think ALL of these people are bad, but this isn't black and white good and bad, there is no perfectly self righteous side to choose here." His motivations and his connection with Phasma were obviously very poorly planned. Questions of "well how did they really know that finn was going to look for help, and why have a guy waiting on standby looking for rebels to lure in unless it was to be expected, and it what scenario would you -really- have expected that to happen?" etc. etc. I can understand the only move in a positive direction for the rebels to try and even attempt in a non-combative way seeing as they had literally nothing in the movie was to go the espionage/infiltration route, but I felt like I had already seen that with Rogue One and didn't care for any of it, and with how little of the infiltration actually mattered, makes me feel like the directors felt the same way. Phasma could definitely have had a more fitting role. Oh well.

5. don't care for the love interests thing. Not really any groundwork to build upon given there werent really that many characters in the OT (nor in the prequels I suppose) to really build anything like that on. New water to tread, sort of flops. asian chick's character feels way to forcefully (heh) rushed. On a similar note, the humor was okay. I didn't care for the mom jokes and that crap, but the some of the more snide humor fits. Favorite perhaps being Rey asking Kylo to put a shirt on when theyre having a connection at one point. Very human reaction to a new uncomfortable scenario.

6. Luke's death was perfectly fine. Dude's old and using a power he's knowingly forsaken and blocked out for years, and the extent he's using it (projecting himself who knows how far away) after having just gotten it back might come at a physical cost. But more than that, I see it as him finally coming to peace with himself, the thing that's been causing him to live this hateful secluded life all this time. The view of the sun is supposed to give you that notion that he can finally put his lingering doubts and anger to rest with how the situation is resolved and how he handles it, and can move on.

7. Luke reveals that his thought to kill Ben was a fleeting thought. It came and quickly disappeared, and he was mad that he ever let fear take hold of him like that, but like he said, that one split moment decision created a permanent impact on Ben. He didn't know what was going on, he was the scared animal thinking of survival at that point, and becomes a huge part of his character development which I loved.

8. Learning the force, again, could perhaps be written off as just the raw strength inside manifesting faster or stronger since she's supposedly on par with kylo and theyre the two innately strongest force residents Luke's ever seen. Series seems to be leaning towards this idea that it comes as a sixth sense to some people just like the broom kid.

9. I don't mind Poe's development. Finn's/Rose's sucked because it seemed to be a parallel to Poe with nothing new or expounded upon beyond the 7th (if anything I feel like Finn's characters already been shafted from what it originally was set to be in 7 [in no way does he resemble a counterpart to Rey like say Han was to Luke]), but Poe's seemed fine. On the topic of what @Travesty also stated, the movie deals with a lot of themes of self sacrifice. It's by no means a happy movie per se. It sucks for the good guys. Lots of deaths and lots of struggling to accept that. But it's by no means a new concept to Star Wars. Literally look at it's supposed counterpart in the OT, Revenge of the Sith. Lots of crap goes badly. Battle of Hoth sucks for the Rebels overall. Luke loses a hand and gets mentally crushed by learning of Vader's identity. Han gets backstabbed and frozen in carbonite. Leia gets sold off to Jabba. (C3P0 gets disassembled... but who really cares). It sucks for the protagonists and a lot of the themes of that movie are definitely reflected in 8. The battle isn't always going to go good for the good guys. People you love are going to be hurt or die, there are going to be losses that you can't accept. The pacing of RotS is very similar to me as well, not much happens in the grand scheme of the passage of time or overall objectives being taken by the rebels. So I don't think any of the underlying themes were an issue at all.

10.The big stinker everyone seems to hate. Snoke. I hated it too for a bit, but after thinking on about it for several days, I think the overall character of Snoke is BRILLIANT. It's very understated and perhaps just bs being spewed by someone trying to rationalize the lack of any substance to the character, but if you look towards Snoke moreso in regards to Kylo and his newfound backstory, it makes a lot more sense. Snoke is given 0 clarity as to who he is in this movie. Because he's a nobody. Who Snoke is doesn't matter. He's a sham. He has force powers obviously denoted by his ability to use lightning and also choke over long distances, but he has nothing beyond his actual force powers and his controlling nature. He is to Darth Sidious what Kylo was to Darth Vader, he's just someone who wants to imitate the great before him and gain something in trying to be someone he's not. Kylo had a similar mask to Vader? Snoke has similar royal guards and a throne room. All Snoke is good at doing is prying at Kylo's insecurities and trying to mold him by making Kylo think that Snoke is more powerful than he is, most likely by demonstrations of using his force and being generally aggressive towards him like we see with the yelling and what not. On the same vein as the other force users, he appears to have a lot of raw power, but again, probably no teacher to really know how to hone any of it or know what to do with it in a manner beyond just using it. He mentions linking Kylo and Rey's minds, but did he really? We see the connection was still there even after Snoke was dead when Rey leaves on the Falcon at the end and Kylo stands on the salts after Luke's disappeared. Did he really see that much into Kylo's mind seeing as he couldn't identify the emotions he was feeling as being towards himself opposed to Rey? He has raw power, but not finesse, and is trying to compensate and be something he isn't in order to bolster himself to a higher standard just like Kylo has been trying the past two movies. Ironically, he helps Kylo get rid of this notion of trying to be a child chasing Vader which ultimately gets himself killed. Ironic he could save everyone but himself... :thinking: where have I heard that before. None of this comes out squarely in the movie, but I hope that its what the writers were going for, even if it wasnt, it turned out beautifully if you think along that line of reasoning which is why I'm sad so many people hated Snoke not having any expounding upon. I think what they did with the character was awesome and any trying to paint him as another random Sith leader who rose to power through tyranny and is an ultimate bad guy to defeat is cliche and overdone by this point. Snoke was able to pry on the scared animal mentality of Kylo in order to use him, and we can definitely come to the conclusion that Kylo fits that stereotype more than any other in the way he treats the main characters in his life. He's not truly bad, he hesitates to kill his mother, most likely the body who actually raised him. He doesn't want to hurt her. Han? Why would he care for Han, he was never there in his life. He was a father in name alone. He feels nothing killing him and is where he gains his hopes of trying to climb to some higher ledge than where he currently is, scared. Same with his uncle, who he thought would help him but he now thinks wanted to kill him. Can you blame the guy for having trust issues? This makes Kylos killing of Snoke so much better when we get to see that he truly is beyond that past idea of letting his scared animal phase control him and who he is. He wants to move forward with Rey. He wants to trust people again. He doesn't want to be alone, and he probably never did, and was just chasing the rabbit holes that Snoke was laying for him up til then. I'm losing my focus on what i'm trying to say so i'll probably stop there for now.

poor formatting, but response to @fps_trucka on some points

Spoiler

Movie was AWESOME. Director did a great job of pacing the movie with answering unsolved questions while seamlessly advancing the movie's actual plot (Rei's parents brought up in the beginning, finding unclear answers in the middle, full answer at the end, same with Kylo Ren's history), it's honestly a great technical example from a storytelling perspective.

It has a lot of parallel to the older movies but I don't think that's a bad thing. Luke sacrificing himself to Kylo Ren vs Obi Wan to Vader just shows some nice character development because unlike Obi, we actually see what leads him to doing the act. He's still  learning from Obi Wan, even though he's the teacher now. IMO the story has a theme of passing knowledge/leadership on to the next generation and we see it take an extra step further with Obi and Luke here. I like that Luke copies Obi with the "Strike me down..." quote but also adds his own character to it (Everything you just said is wrong). Sassy Luke.

The character development between Rei and Kylo are also p decent. I liked the parallel that they were both abandoned but have a totally opposite outlook on life. The story could've ended after Snoke was killed but their differing viewpoints lead to an inevitable conflict that ends with them fighting. It was honestly p tragic considering that just before they fight, they were both the only ones who truly understood the other (and also just got done fighting back to back with eachother).

I was pogchamping at the kamikaze, holy frick that was some visual eye candy. I'm gonna need a high quality gif of it. Top quality /r/cinemagraph material imo. The 8 speeders making trails of red on snow was also really visually pleasing.

I dislike Snoke's death but only because I HATE it when a sith apprentice kills a master who's obviously stronger than him. Snoke was tossing Kylo around early on and he's obviously got some crazy force strength. Kylo only kills him through deception and a surprise attack, which is common throughout Sith history. I had a whole paragraph here about sith history and lore and ideals and shit but frick, I hate it when a weaker sith becomes Master only through deception. E A R N IT SMOrc.

It was a good death though and certainly plausible, Snoke was audibly orgasming to Kylo's fabricated mental imagery -- he got played. It shows that 1. Kylo is pretty intelligent: he comes up with it on the spot (and keeps that imagery going while the only person he's ever truly connected with is being tortured in front of him) and also knows the character of his Master and 2. He can manipulate people, even his Master. Manipulating is evil. Contrast him to that idiot nazi admiral leader dude, worlds apart.

I disliked the first part of the fight with the royal guards, I actually rolled my eyes because they legit got their choreography from the clay dudes off of the OG power rangers. Literally dancing around when Kylo and Rei were back to back. After they split up though, the action gets much better and Kylo goes crazy with his sword. I didn't think much of Daisy Ridley before this movie but omg her battle shouts were so fierce bro what the heck, that was some 10/10 swordmaiden acting. Those guys sucked as royal guards tho wtf, only scratched Rei in the arm. I fought some weakass Reborns serving Desann in Jedi Academy who put up a better fight than that.

Kylo and Rei each pull a move that I saw on some neckbeard's chart of crazy Jedi swordtricks you can do, which I thought was pretty cool to see choreographed. Rei gets in a clash with a guard who puts his weight on her and she drops her saber, only to spin and slash in a flash cause lightsabers are practically weightless. Kylo pulls the "i'm just gonna activate this sword into ur face k" trick.

I also liked Disney's new adaptations of vibro weapons, first the vibro-sword/baton and now a vibro-whip/sword and detachable twinswords/spear, really nice since lightsabers were the only melee weapons before the 7th movie.

I read a lot of comments not liking the Finn+Rose trip to the casino but I really liked that aspect of it. It dove deeper into the universe and likens the story to a DnD session: most people play the actual campaign but the real fun happens off the main story. Why sit and wait in the cruiser when you can fucking head to a casino, get locked up by the local PD, then escape on the back of a wild stampede and earn some reputation points with the locals? Btw if you take this route you also meet a cool NPC by chance who's really good at hacking. The whole casino arc was entirely unnecessary but I enjoyed the ride.

Also

On 12/18/2017 at 4:14 PM, TurtleFrenzy said:

4.5. Guillermo del toro's character was weird.....His motivations and his connection with Phasma were obviously very poorly planned. Questions of "well how did they really know that finn was going to look for help, and why have a guy waiting on standby looking for rebels to lure in unless it was to be expected, and it what scenario would you -really- have expected that to happen?"

I don't think he planned the betrayal at all, since the entire squad was spotted by a bad-guy-bb8 right after they leave their ship inside. I'm fairly sure they got ambushed and only then did he strike a deal in exchange for freedom + moneys, although I could be wrong. I do agree with Phasma being killed off too fast & easily tho, she seemed super hardcore and badass like Jango and Boba Fett but I guess all of them met a really unfortunate end. I guess we needed a "even badass villains can be beaten if u believe hard enough" moral and she was it.

Oh and the birds are fricken adorable in the campfire scene with Chewy.