Sign in to follow this  
XCapn

Claiming A Room

I believe the rule that states "You may claim a room once it reaches overtime" that lets you get away with RDMing. Some people ignore the chat, some people mute the voice chat, a lot of people do one of these things. So stating you're claiming a "room" which in open areas has unspecified parameters, is stupid and should be removed. If you're in a room and declare it's "yours" over the voice chat, the people who have it muted are vulnerable to being RDMed, with no consequences to the RDMer. The same thing goes for people who either ignore the text chat or have found some way to remove it. The rule has very loose parameters and is available for loopholes which allow anyone to get away with RDMing anyone else, they only have to wait for overtime

Just now, XCapn said:

I believe the rule that states "You may claim a room once it reaches overtime" that lets you get away with RDMing.

It isn't RDMing if they enter your claimed area, so no one is getting away with RDM..  

Just now, XCapn said:

Some people ignore the chat, some people mute the voice chat, a lot of people do one of these things

That's just plain idiotic.

Just now, XCapn said:

So stating you're claiming a "room" which in open areas has unspecified parameters, is stupid and should be removed.

The rule states "You may claim a room during Overtime, you must describe the room over voice chat or normal chat", open areas like "I claim outside" aren't allowed.

Just now, XCapn said:

If you're in a room and declare it's "yours" over the voice chat, the people who have it muted are vulnerable to being RDMed, with no consequences to the RDMer. The same thing goes for people who either ignore the text chat or have found some way to remove it.

Refer to my first 2 points.

Edited by Avenger

Although I have my own reservations about the claiming rule and rarely use it (it often leads to a lot of innocent deaths due to people not paying attention), it does have its benefits. It's a particularly useful way to advance a slow-moving round, and it can give better odds of survival to an inno or group of innos who'd otherwise be unequivocally fucked by the remaining Ts. It can also ferret-out the remaining Ts if all the innos are claiming rooms and the Ts have no choice but to try to take one of them on.

Edited by Darren

15 minutes ago, XCapn said:

I believe the rule that states "You may claim a room once it reaches overtime" that lets you get away with RDMing. Some people ignore the chat, some people mute the voice chat, a lot of people do one of these things. So stating you're claiming a "room" which in open areas has unspecified parameters, is stupid and should be removed. If you're in a room and declare it's "yours" over the voice chat, the people who have it muted are vulnerable to being RDMed, with no consequences to the RDMer. The same thing goes for people who either ignore the text chat or have found some way to remove it. The rule has very loose parameters and is available for loopholes which allow anyone to get away with RDMing anyone else, they only have to wait for overtime

The biggest point of claiming rooms in overtime IMO is to force the t's to confront the remaining innocents before overtime hits and gives the innocents a better advantage when it does. The rule is stated very clearly about claiming. If someone is already in a room and another runs in and claims the room they can't kill whoever is already in the room. Only those who enter afterwards. Outside open areas aren't claimable for obvious reasons. Descriptions of the room being claimed are absolutely necessary as to avoid inno's killing inno's, but it still happens because like you stated people mute VC or ignore regular chat which is on them.

This is quite an essential part of the game mode and has been an easily followed rule for many years. If you believe someone isn't following the specified rule properly feel free to take ss's and either ask an SO or staff member about the circumstances or report it in the complaint department if you feel any staff currently on aren't doing their job. Someone usually responds to any complaint within the moment you post to a few hours at most. 

i love claiming rooms, it's the only time i can get away with mass rdm as an inno/detective, warned y'all bout running into my single entrance house that has my spray on it with guns on your person, too bad my karma takes a hit too.

I still remember the first time I claimed a room I ended up getting karma banned because people don't read the motd and know that claiming is so they just kept on entering :// rip lol

But yeah everyone else above me pretty much summed it up.

There's really no arguing with you guys, there's no point. It's not idiotic to mute the voice chat, I do it because no one will shut up and you're all still loud as heck. People ignore the text all the time, so I don't need to explain that one. The claiming a room rule is not at all essential and the game would be fine without it, if a round's moving slow and the traitors won't ever approach you, go out and find them, get killed, another round will start very shortly. I know you won't change it and I know you're just going to mock me or not explain why I'm wrong but I don't care, this is one of the only servers with the rules and every other server works just fine

Just now, XCapn said:

There's really no arguing with you guys, there's no point. It's not idiotic to mute the voice chat, I do it because no one will shut up and you're all still loud as heck. People ignore the text all the time, so I don't need to explain that one. The claiming a room rule is not at all essential and the game would be fine without it, if a round's moving slow and the traitors won't ever approach you, go out and find them, get killed, another round will start very shortly. I know you won't change it and I know you're just going to mock me or not explain why I'm wrong but I don't care, this is one of the only servers with the rules and every other server works just fine

Muting voice chat and ignoring chat? So basically you never hear or see callouts...yep that's real smart in TTT; basically means you are playing against bots since you don't communicate/listen to communication.

Is the rule necessary? No, hell none of the rules are technically necessary if you just want chaos. The rule allows for a little fun and controlled chaos. "Because every other server works just fine" doesn't really fly as an argument, why just be like every other server with no variation?

Just now, XCapn said:

Hmmm some servers that I know have rules that you can kill anyone on suspicious in overtime and it won't count as rdm.

Most common servers have same rules that you can claim the area in overtime I assume.

I'm deaf and I never really have any issue with people who claim the area, it didn't really happen often. 

If you are traitor then better start kill people faster before overtime.

Come on guys, relax. This guy brings up good points. It's really hard to play cooperative games and not actively handicap your game experience. While we're implementing these changes I think it's time to add spectator deathmatch and a shop to our vanilla server!

Just now, XCapn said:

You haven't provided a valid argument or any argument to begin with. Your entire OP is nothing but complaining about how you don't like the rule and how other servers don't have it. 

It's very idiotic to mute voice chat then complain cause you walked into a claimed room. Some people don't see chat as it can move fast depending on how many are using it and some do ignore it, but people do read chat. You can't state everyone ignores chat when it is a false statement. 

Yes it isn't an essential rule. As Sportsteen stated none of the rules in place are essential to the game mode. In my first post I pointed out how it get's traitors to act faster during rounds before overtime and gives inno's an advantage when it hits. The entire game mode for inno's is literally to survive or kill all the traitors. They don't have to run out and die when they just need time to run out to win. Traitors are the ones required to hunt the inno's down. If the traitors are screwing around and not doing what they are supposed to do they can get punished for it. IE sitting in a room all round not trying to kill anyone. From this sentence alone it appears you don't even know the basic way to play the game. 

The rule won't change because it has been one for many years and no one has ever had any issue with the rule. It's extremely easy to understand and if anyone has any questions we can answer them without any trouble. You basically came here complaining about the rule probably because you were dumb enough to mute VC and ignore chat to get killed by someone who claimed a room. Admins most likely explained this to you on the server and you didn't like the response. 

When multiple people already gave you reasons for the rule being in place you clearly don't understand them. Our server has been doing completely fine for years with the current rule set and the population has been high that we have 2 servers! If our rules bother you so much then go play on one of the other servers you want to compare us to. We aren't holding a gun to your head demanding you play here. 

2 hours ago, XCapn said:

console 

"volume 1" change to "volume 0.6"

As already stated, this rule can be a pain due to people not listening to voice chat or disregarding text chat, as for someone like me without a mic, people normally overlook my claim in the text chat. So, they end up reporting me(or another individual) for RDM, when I clearly stated in chat what I claimed. Obviously ending in "The player does not want to forgive you" and then an argument arises when I am or someone else is not slain. I realize this rule can really anger the traitors, especially when it is one or two innocent players left versus some traitors. There have been multiple occurrences when I have killed 2 or more innocents for walking in which really sets back my karma. 

What I recommend to all players is to read text chat and listen to voice chat to enhance your experience, and potential chances to win. Maybe because I only use text chat I am used to looking at text chat, and listening to voice chat, but either way I agree with this rule since it is only in overtime when you can claim, giving innocents a chance to win. 

Just now, That_Kitohusky said:

As already stated, this rule can be a pain due to people not listening to voice chat or disregarding text chat, as for someone like me without a mic, people normally overlook my claim in the text chat. So, they end up reporting me(or another individual) for RDM, when I clearly stated in chat what I claimed. Obviously ending in "The player does not want to forgive you" and then an argument arises when I am or someone else is not slain. I realize this rule can really anger the traitors, especially when it is one or two innocent players left versus some traitors. There have been multiple occurrences when I have killed 2 or more innocents for walking in which really sets back my karma. 

What I recommend to all players is to read text chat and listen to voice chat to enhance your experience, and potential chances to win. Maybe because I only use text chat I am used to looking at text chat, and listening to voice chat, but either way I agree with this rule since it is only in overtime when you can claim, giving innocents a chance to win. 

If you typed it in chat then there is no argument. That is solid proof. Any admin slaying you when there is text chat proof is an idiot.

Just now, centran said:

If you typed it in chat then there is no argument. That is solid proof. Any admin slaying you when there is text chat proof is an idiot.

I understand there is proof on my end, but I am normally the admin having to make the slays(which I don't) and then the guy yelling and complaining, "abuser, doesn't want to slay himself for RDM". I always overlook these complaints since I clearly know I am in the right but I always inform them to read !motd or if they still aren't satisfied to ask/ make a post on the forums.

1 hour ago, That_Kitohusky said:

I understand there is proof on my end, but I am normally the admin having to make the slays(which I don't) and then the guy yelling and complaining, "abuser, doesn't want to slay himself for RDM". I always overlook these complaints since I clearly know I am in the right but I always inform them to read !motd or if they still aren't satisfied to ask/ make a post on the forums.

Yeah every admin deals with this in their own way, I like yours [=. Don't worry about it too much, the amount of people who don't actually understand all of the rules is pretty surprising.

21 hours ago, XCapn said:

There's really no arguing with you guys, there's no point. It's not idiotic to mute the voice chat, I do it because no one will shut up and you're all still loud as heck.

I also play with voice_enable 0 for the same reasons as you. However the other players are not at fault when you die to this rule, nor should you complain when someone calls a KOS on you over the mic and you suddenly get shot out of the blue. It's on you if you don't want to hear other players.