Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hay0ger.Tonee

Water Damage

So I just spilled a decent amount of water on my mechanical keyboard. It is, right now, covered in rice.

Am I fucked or not?

It was a decent amount of water, maybe like 6 ounces..

You are probaly fucked. I spilled just a little bit of water on my old keyboard and it fucked it up completely I had to buy a new one.

I have spilled water on my keyboard before as well it was perfectly fine for the first 2 days after all the water had gone away but after those 2 days it completely stopped working and i had to buy a new one so you are most likely fucked..

2 hours ago, Swed said:

Shouldn't have put rice on it tbh.

Unplug, let sit for 48 hours, it'll be fine.

inb4 noise forever

6 ounces is quite a bit. I've spilled some water on my keyboard and it was fine, but it wasn't much. 

Let it dry for a while. Idk what else to suggest. 

bake it in the oven!

but if you can wait then pop off all the keys(except shift and space bar unless you know what you are doing) and leave it alone for a week.

Oh, and I wasn't kidding about baking it. I have sent keyboard through the dishwasher before and then baked them @ 150 for an hour or two. let set for a day or two. then nice clean keyboard! 

I'm not sure about mechanical keyboards but there isn't much electronics going on with a keyboard unless it has a display or something. you can seriously send that fucker through a dishwater. just don't set it to high heat or have the dishwasher dry it as it gets too hot and might warp some parts. ~150 F should be fine and thus putting it in the oven to help the drying time. either that or leave it for a week.