Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerald

2016 Presidential Election: The Year Memes Came True

20 minutes ago, TOBEEB said:

Believe it or not, that IS how you vote. When you vote for your "candidate" you are actually casting a vote for someone that will support said candidate.

https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/electors.html#selection

Here, that article can explain things far better than I can.

Here's a small video summarizing the issue:

I mean sure Hillary wanted a no fly zone, but you realize Trump wants to basically leave S. Korea and Japan and has gone on record saying they should be allowed to start their own nuclear programs. He's also basically said if countries want our protection from Russia they'll have to pay us, in countries like Syria and Ukraine that basically means "good luck." You have a guy who is willing to let russia spread it's empire and become the Soviet Union again over money. Back to my first point, pulling out of S. Korea and Japan and letting them develop their own nukes is, by far, worse than a no fly zone. We should be disarming nukes from every country not whatever his plan is. 

But hey maybe he'll try and make tax evasion legal so we can all be like him and be "smart"

Not to mention the guy has only the highest praise for leaders like Putin and god damn Kim Jung un

4 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

This was always an ego trip. Hes handing the country over to the Tea party. American democracy is no longer democracy anymore when conservatives have full control over the entire government

Republicans have control of the executive and legislative branch now (just like Democrats did when Obama began his term in 2009) because people voted for them.  Just because people are in office that you disagree with doesn't mean it isn't a democracy.  There are also plenty of disagreements between traditional Republicans like Paul Ryan and Trump's views on the issues as well and many who distanced themselves from Trump in the past few months.  On another note the Supreme Court has had a conservative majority for 30 or 40 years and have been fair on the issues in my opinion upheld gay marriage, Obamacare, not overturned Roe v Wade etc.

Ybfk0mR.jpg 

Electoral is fine, especially given the voter turnout percentage of the country. The popular vote isn't accurate either, as states like California and Texas always suppress voters because they always go Blue/Red. Hence swing states being the key and more representative of the entire country. Hillary won the popular by a plurality of 200,000 but regardless, Trump still wins. If you really wanted a full popular vote, that gets recounted about fifteen to twenty times and can swing the election either way. See: My state swinging Bush V Gore by a 40,000 difference in the recount vote.

The bigger issue is the 2018 midterms because redistricting occurs in 2020 and stricter voting legislation. Granted the Republican party doesn't have to worry about amnesty in an effort to dilute the voting system and inflate party voters but I digress.

Hopefully, moving away from the party centered election options (I.E. Rubio/Obama being chosen as potential candidates years prior and prepped) brings some change. I'm stunned Trump pulled the upset, as I thought not distancing himself from the Populist approach would be a horrific move and that was further supported by the popular opinion on the debates. However it ended up working out and he actually kept neck and neck with her on the white female voter line. Just goes to show you really can't ride a novelty to the bank. Trump isn't uneducated, contrary to popular opinion, the man graduated from Penn, an ivy league school. I'd like to see if the populist movement approach will impact further election approaches for both parties, Trumps movement itself a result of the surging success in Europe, much like how Nixon and Reagan have affected how campaigns are run to this day.

The general public response to flip the fuck out about homophobia, racism, etc is somewhat silly and ironic given that Hillary has a much shadier past into that matter. Plus it doesn't help that three of the four major networks were revealed to be in the pockets of the Clinton campaign. Give it a month or two and no one will care. I'm happy we moved away from political families and Trump will be kept in check by his own party, as he needs their support in Congress.

Also, if someone posts that god damn "This is what millenials voted like" map, I might strangle you. Yes, youth votes left. Then they get a paycheck, start paying taxes, and live in the real, non college, world and realize that it isn't butterflies and bees. As you get older you generally become more conservative on matters. It's been like that since forever. For those that disagree; If it didn't, this country would be run like the 70's because Baby Boomers have had such a huge voice and that's obviously not the case in current political spheres/movements.

2 hours ago, Travesty said:

Here's a small video summarizing the issue:

Yeah, that's the idea. It's set up this way so that the minority voice doesn't get completely shut out and they do this for good reason as well. At the same time, even if all these states got their equal representation, there is still potential for this situation to happen.

To put it simply, it goes like this.

A state has 10 pop and gets 1 representation

B state has 10 pop and gets 1 representation

C state has 10 pop and gets 1 representation

D state has 10 pop and gets 1 representation

E state has 10 pop and gets 1 representation

All 10 votes in states A and B go for Candidate Y

Candidate Y now has 2 rep for them

However, Candidate X won C,D, and E by 1 vote and due to majority rule, he gets  3 rep.

Candidate Y has 32 votes for 2 rep

Candidate X has 18 votes for 3 rep

Candidate X wins

The basic underlying issue with the electoral college is that it's a two-phase voting system. We vote for our representatives and then they have a separate vote. Since the representatives gain more weight based on the amount of people they represent, it can easily skew the popular vote for one candidate while the other candidate takes the electorate.

I mean let's be honest here. Hillary was a worse pick due to her history while Trumps just a jerk who had locker room talk at one point and a rich womanizer when he was younger. What rich kid isn't like that? From playing sports I can tell you that locker room talk was tame but the fact is I cant believe people are so upset over something that they haven't even given a chance. Everyone deserves a chance even though Hillary bit her tongue when she was being nice.

For now we just wait to see what is to come. Hopefully he let's the military do their thing and doesn't put such a tight leash on them like Obama did. Also I don't know where the racist, Sexist and anti LGBTQ came from. He's stated multiple times he supports the LGBTQ. Jeez people like starting shit. 

Can't wait till this all blows over and everyone is back to normal jeez. Can't come sooner.

Edit: apparently stating facts that people don't like gains down votes from angry children.

5 hours ago, Oreo said:

Also, if someone posts that god damn "This is what millenials voted like" map, I might strangle you. Yes, youth votes left. Then they get a paycheck, start paying taxes, and live in the real, non college, world and realize that it isn't butterflies and bees. As you get older you generally become more conservative on matters. It's been like that since forever. For those that disagree; If it didn't, this country would be run like the 70's because Baby Boomers have had such a huge voice and that's obviously not the case in current political spheres/movements.

You make it sound like liberalism is an immature ideology held by people who know nothing of the world, and conservatism is the inevitable conclusion of life. I think that's a rather ignorant view. 

Both liberalism and conservatism are rooted in what people want out of the government. Conservatives, generally, want the government to operate on a level that doesn't interfere with their lives or values, to remain as small as necessary to keep society running smoothly while protecting a way of life and a standard of living. The appeal of conservatism goes up with age because when we build a life, when we work, start a family, settle in to our niche, we become invested in the values and ways of thinking that brought us there, and as we get older the more invested we become. The turbulence that invariably follows any kind of change becomes more and more abrasive and we're more likely to view it negatively if we have a lot to lose. We just want to live our lives peacefully and freely without worrying about how things are going to change.

Conversely, liberals generally want the government to operate on a level that enforces continually higher standards, even if that means interfering with people's lives and challenging the values that society once held. This is most appealing to the younger generations because youth is defined by change. We're exposed to new ideas, we're trying new things, and have nothing invested in the status quo. We've learned how the world operates and imagine a different, presumably better way. We become invested in the future, because that's where our lives are, that's where we'll build something and we want to correct the mistakes of the past and present, even if it's a painful process.

Both are valid points of view depending on what you value more - maintaining a way of life, or changing it.

So while you're right that people tend to grow more conservative with age, you forget that society becomes more liberal with time, because changes are forced through and they add up. The conservatives of today aren't concerned with all of the same things that conservatives of yesteryear were - take interracial marriage for example. The premise of a small, non-intrusive government remains the same, but the details change as programs and laws are put into place, and the perception of what's necessary for maintaining a standard of living changes.

@Arctic Freeze You're so very wrong. After announcing his candidacy Trump said he'd strongly consider appointing justices to the SC who would try to overrule the decision made about same-sex marriage. He's said he wants to rescind the guidelines put in place under Obama regarding transgender people and their use of bathrooms that match their gender, and he sticks by North Carolina's discriminatory bill. He supported LGBTQ rights many years ago, but he doesn't now. Mike Pence is also anti-LGBTQ, go figure.

Also, the womanizing issue isn't just "locker room talk" or rich boys being rich boys, that apologist tactic won't work. There's a difference between making crude jokes and describing in no uncertain terms how you use your wealth and fame to get away with sexual assault. If you think it's normal for someone to treat women that way then I don't even know what to say to you. Besides, that's far from the only reason people think Trump's a terrible person. Try the climate change denial, birther bullshit, mocking the disabled, wanting women to be punished for abortions, mocking war heroes, proposing to deport millions of families, proposing to block immigration into the country based on religion, wanting to use nukes, his LGBTQ stances, and so on. He makes for a good meme, not a good president. 

If you are truly upset with the fact that the Republicans control all three branches, make sure you vote in the midterms.  I personally believe midterm elections are more important than the presidential election.  Living in California, this talk of a Calexit is somewhat comical to me.  The dude is NOT even the president yet and the entire country is acting like he has been running it into the ground for over 2 years.   

2 hours ago, Couls said:

If you are truly upset with the fact that the Republicans control all three branches, make sure you vote in the midterms.  I personally believe midterm elections are more important than the presidential election.  Living in California, this talk of a Calexit is somewhat comical to me.  The dude is NOT even the president yet and the entire country is acting like he has been running it into the ground for over 2 years.   

#Calexit #NotMyPresident

Btw you seeing the protest in DTLA? 

40 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

The fact that people can't see Trump is already threatening America's future with his garbage is appalling to me

please explain while killary supporters are rioting like the mature adults they want us to believe they are.

6 minutes ago, shikaku158 said:

please explain while killary supporters are rioting like the mature adults they want us to believe they are.

Pretty sure if I recall correctly america started with what was essentially a riot. You'd be rioting to if a man was elected promising to limit the rights of you or your friends and family. I can't honestly believe america has allowed ourselves to become such a joke we elected a man who believes climate change is a hoax

2 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Pretty sure if I recall correctly america started with what was essentially a riot. You'd be rioting to if a man was elected promising to limit the rights of you or your friends and family

I'm awaiting some links. Act like he can just  change it all by himself and doesn't need to have congress vote on it

9 minutes ago, shikaku158 said:

I'm awaiting some links. Act like he can just  change it all by himself and doesn't need to have congress vote on it

You realize he controls congress now right? And that the republican party official platform is the repeal of marriage equality and Roe vs Wade?

This quote is pulled straight from the platform. The republicans want to push to define marriage as between man and woman. That is why there are riots. Peoples actual freedoms are at stake

Traditional marriage and family, based on marriage between one man and one woman, is the foundation for a free society and has for millennia been entrusted with rearing children and instilling cultural values. We condemn the Supreme Court’s ruling in United States v. Windsor, which wrongly removed the ability of Congress to define marriage policy in federal law. We also condemn the Supreme Court’s lawless ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, which in the words of the late Justice Antonin Scalia, was a “judicial Putsch” — full of “silly extravagances” — that reduced “the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Storey to the mystical aphorisms of a fortune cookie.” In Obergefell, five unelected lawyers robbed 320 million Americans of their legitimate constitutional authority to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman. The Court twisted the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment beyond recognition. To echo Scalia, we dissent. We, therefore, support the appointment of justices and judges who respect the constitutional limits on their power and respect the authority of the states to decide such fundamental social questions.

6 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

You realize he controls congress now right? And that the republican party official platform is the repeal of marriage equality and Roe vs Wade?

Doesn't mean they'll vote his way. Yes they are the same party but that doesn't mean they'll follow him blindly

5 minutes ago, shikaku158 said:

Doesn't mean they'll vote his way. Yes they are the same party but that doesn't mean they'll follow him blindly

You realize they are the ones who fucking wrote that right? They also go on to say they want to cut funding for sex ed and focus on abstinence only . Seriously go read the platform you just voted for

4 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

You realize they are the ones who fucking wrote that right? They also go on to say they want to cut funding for sex ed and focus on abstinence only . Seriously go read the platform you just voted for

I don't vote, I just meme

2 minutes ago, shikaku158 said:

I don't vote, I just meme

You don't really understand what just happened to america do you. Its really not funny when the actual platform of the party that just got elected says they want to start enforcing "Judeo-Christian values"

10 minutes ago, shikaku158 said:

thought this was pretty well made

Theres multiple points I can call out in this. First off there hasn't been in a long time such a concentration of power in one party. Second there has not in years been a candidate going into their presidency promising to wipe away peoples rights as soon as he goes in. Third. He kind of makes a horrible point about fascism when he says "Its not fascism when hes elected. Literally every fascist the average person could name was voted into power. We are actually seeing a full on  government thats going to push christianity down everyones throats

48 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Theres multiple points I can call out in this. First off there hasn't been in a long time such a concentration of power in one party. Second there has not in years been a candidate going into their presidency promising to wipe away peoples rights as soon as he goes in. Third. He kind of makes a horrible point about fascism when he says "Its not fascism when hes elected. Literally every fascist the average person could name was voted into power. We are actually seeing a full on  government thats going to push christianity down everyones throats

Given your past posting history, I don't think you really have the mental capacity to be commenting on this election.

2 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Given your past posting history, I don't think you really have the mental capacity to be commenting on this election.

Im a political science major with straight As.I can guarantee I've done more research than you on this. 

18 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Im a political science major with straight As.I can guarantee I've done more research than you on this. 

then why don't you support trump like anyone else with a brain?

stop being a sore loser, embrace the Trump he is your commander in chief now

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

then why don't you support trump like anyone else with a brain?

stop being a sore loser, embrace the Trump he is your commander in chief now

Think I'm going to need a new coffee... thanks Carl!