Sign in to follow this  
ZachPL

Interest in a Rust Server

Mods  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should the server be modded?

I've only ever played vanilla servers so I was kind of leaning that way, but with that being said there probably wouldn't be ways to really monetize it all that effectively 

I dont think we'll get much of a population if we leave it vanilla. There's just plenty of official vanilla servers out there to join. I voted for modded. Doesnt have to be anything nuts, but 2 or 3x resources and even maybe /tp would work. 

So I never actually got into Rust, but I do have it and would try again if the sG community got one going. I voted either because I honestly have no experience with either to make a contribution towards either argument...

Edited by Sportsteen583

4 hours ago, centran said:

Those that play rust. Do you even bother looking at the modded server list at all? We might be interested in adding some mods that had a minimum impact and the vanilla gameplay. However I think that even installing one that does not change vanilla gameplay one bit forces the server on the modded list. I just worry about shooting ourselves in the foot if most people don't even look at that list.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

i don't look very often unless its for a battlefield server.besides that the only mods that aren't like game changing would be like the death notify one or the ones that assist building.

3 hours ago, ZachPL said:

The entire point of the game is to collect resources, build , and raid so having mods that do 2 of the 3 things kinda takes the point out of it in my opinion 

my standing on modded servers,they ruin the game.

19 hours ago, Rune said:

Why wouldn't you do teleport mods and insta craft like moose said?

Fuck trying to sit there and wait for that shit to load.

I said don't do insta-craft. As Zach said, that would defeat the purpose...

I really would be into creating our own mod... perhaps a war3-like level up system, which you can choose to increase craft/resource gathering speeds, etc.?

9 minutes ago, Moose said:

I said don't do insta-craft. As Zach said, that would defeat the purpose...

I really would be into creating our own mod... perhaps a war3-like level up system, which you can choose to increase craft/resource gathering speeds, etc.?

That would be a nice addition, but it also would not completely take away the grinding aspect of the game. As far as a tp mod imo those ruin the game since you could be trapped and have 4 people tp to you and then easily get away. I'd love a rust server but im not sure how much I'll be able to play on it due to my toaster. Last time I tried to play rust I got less than 10fps :(

3 hours ago, ZachPL said:

Should be up in some form today or tomorrow 

How will we know when the servers up if you decide to launch it today?

Server is up, rust.joinsg.net:28015

We installed oxide so it will show under modded, but it will be mostly vanilla for now with the only game change which isn't really a game change is the clan plugin.

View the map here http://rust.joinsg.net:28015

Edited by ZachPL

Can we maybe get a rust event going for this weekend or next weekend? Maybe drum up some players with steam group notifications or something

I believe the server should have teleport commands since running through every danger (bears, raiders and helicopters mostly) to your friend's house isn't always worth it.

11 minutes ago, Velo said:

Can we maybe get a rust event going for this weekend or next weekend? Maybe drum up some players with steam group notifications or something

We could have a competition like JBingo where you have to complete certain tasks and screenshot them.

• Run over a mine and survive!
  • Kill a bear with a wooden spear!
  • (With a mod that tracks the distances you get kills) Kill a player with a crossbow at a distance of 100m!

Something like that but a lot more creative and challenging.

There wouldn't be an event for a month or two. We are still discussing types of plugins, doing wipes, other backend stuff, etc.

Also I wouldn't count on a teleport command. There was issues with our minecraft server and we do not want to see those come about in rust. I have one idea that may make it debatable but I need to research the api first. Unfortunately the only well documented calls are for the C# language and given the server is linux we want to avoid having to code in C#. That leaves me cross referencing the unfilled gaps in the docs for other languages and looking at the C# one to see what those methods give you access to and how it would translate into the other language. Not very fun.

tl;dr - shit is going to change so be patient with us

54 minutes ago, Dakka said:

I believe the server should have teleport commands since running through every danger (bears, raiders and helicopters mostly) to your friend's house isn't always worth it.

We could have a competition like JBingo where you have to complete certain tasks and screenshot them.

• Run over a mine and survive!
  • Kill a bear with a wooden spear!
  • (With a mod that tracks the distances you get kills) Kill a player with a crossbow at a distance of 100m!

Something like that but a lot more creative and challenging.

after about 2500 hrs I can confidently say TP is aids.  you wouldnt know until you got tp cheese raided if you think its bad now how would you feel about the fact someone could set their tp in their house spawn there and kill you?

Since its already not vanilla server needs to be bumped to 2x 3x otherwise people arent gonna play. If you wanna stay lightly modded take a look at deadlaugh server they got something pretty decent going on over there.. and centran, I totally laddered into your house and blasted you the other night 

1 minute ago, chris said:

after about 2500 hrs I can confidently say TP is aids.  you wouldnt know until you got tp cheese raided if you think its bad now how would you feel about the fact someone could set their tp in their house spawn there and kill you?

Since its already not vanilla server needs to be bumped to 2x 3x otherwise people arent gonna play. If you wanna stay lightly modded take a look at deadlaugh server they got something pretty decent going on over there.. and centran, I totally laddered into your house and blasted you the other night 

10 second teleport, the person being asked for a teleport has to agree, and remove the ability to set teleports.

In all cases, it's the person that allowed the teleport's fault if their base gets raided by the people that teleported to them.

1 minute ago, Dakka said:

10 second teleport, the person being asked for a teleport has to agree, and remove the ability to set teleports.

In all cases, it's the person that allowed the teleport's fault if their base gets raided by the people that teleported to them.

Aids aids aids who cares about tping to someone /set home is the issue if i raid your base I can /set home in your shit and when u get off tp there take everything and tp out without having to break a thing i can tell your new to rust your idea isnt bad but im letting you know first hand from being around an sG sandbox server you will cry many tears

1 minute ago, chris said:

Aids aids aids who cares about tping to someone /set home is the issue if i raid your base I can /set home in your shit and when u get off tp there take everything and tp out without having to break a thing i can tell your new to rust your idea isnt bad but im letting you know first hand from being around an sG sandbox server you will cry many tears

I said remove the ability to set teleports in my post, meaning no way to "/set home" anywhere.

Edited by Dakka

Just now, Dakka said:

I said remove the ability to set teleports in my post, meaning no way to "/set home" anywhere.

So then theres no point in tp. just had your friend drop you a bag

Just now, chris said:

So then theres no point in tp. just had your friend drop you a bag

The point is to get to your friends alive without having to suicide into a bag.