Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fps_trucka

Programming laptop for C++

There is a difference with writing code vs running the program. That being said, yes why would you code on a OSX if you are making a Windows program unless you just really like virtualbox and switching back and forth. That also being said, there are plenty of developers that do it but usually they have a proper pipeline to test their code in. If you are just working on personal projects for windows then just go with that unless you want to prepare yourself for the world of CI or interested into going into DevOps/System Administrator. 

8 minutes ago, centran said:

There is a difference with writing code vs running the program. That being said, yes why would you code on a OSX if you are making a Windows program unless you just really like virtualbox and switching back and forth. That also being said, there are plenty of developers that do it but usually they have a proper pipeline to test their code in. If you are just working on personal projects for windows then just go with that unless you want to prepare yourself for the world of CI or interested into going into DevOps/System Administrator. 

That's what I've been saying this whole time.

11 minutes ago, potaters said:

Point being? Bad advice is bad advice with your piece of paper or not.

Also I'm not a C dev, but I know better than to tell someone to dev on another IDE.

You guys are lying saying there is no learning curve to MS VCPP and knowing where/what the shortcuts are. Are you saying you don't use the windows.h header in almost all your projects??

Also in OP he had described a windows computer.

Obviously it's not a click of a button.

Clearly you don't have experience working in production environments or you guys would have setup a local identical forum and done the upgrade there then bring it to prod. Or just fuck it up on the live one... 

Regardless an easy task for any experienced full stack web dev.

I'm confused where you even got that he said he wanted to create windows programs? He said he wanted to learn C++, that's it. You're jumping to conclusions, and giving shit advice while at it. The only thing he said, was once someone suggested a mac, was that he has only ever worked on Windows computers, which yes, there will be a learning curve to learning a mac. But he never described any computer at all. Learn to read.

I also have to laugh at you, criticizing our updates, as an online gaming community. As staff, what we do is volunteer, we aren't treating this the same way we treat our jobs. Where I work, code passes through 4 different environments, before it gets pushed out to our production line, so yes, we have experience working in development environments. Also, the upgrade went fine, sure there were aesthetics and stuff that needed to be done, and we could have had those done ahead of time had we done this in dev first. The only hiccup was our DBs crashed, which is not something that you can plan for while going thru dev. We ran our backups, and everything was back to normal.

14 minutes ago, Moose said:

I'm confused where you even got that he said he wanted to create windows programs? He said he wanted to learn C++, that's it. You're jumping to conclusions, and giving shit advice while at it. The only thing he said, was once someone suggested a mac, was that he has only ever worked on Windows computers, which yes, there will be a learning curve to learning a mac. But he never described any computer at all. Learn to read.

I also have to laugh at you, criticizing our updates, as an online gaming community. As staff, what we do is volunteer, we aren't treating this the same way we treat our jobs. Where I work, code passes through 4 different environments, before it gets pushed out to our production line, so yes, we have experience working in development environments. Also, the upgrade went fine, sure there were aesthetics and stuff that needed to be done, and we could have had those done ahead of time had we done this in dev first. The only hiccup was our DBs crashed, which is not something that you can plan for while going thru dev. We ran our backups, and everything was back to normal.

Maybe it was my fault I felt that was implied, but I'm sure I'm correct on that. Fry's doesn't even sell any Apple laptops in that price range and it would be silly to spend that much just for development...

I only criticized (the incompetence) here because you attacked me. 

Also oooo noooo you had to run /etc/init.d/mysql start!!!

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-02%20at%2011.03.

Again, I'm not sure why you're assuming things. He wants to learn C++, and is essentially asking the best way of doing so. I personally learned using a Linux environment, so I'll always suggest that, no matter what kind of laptop he's running. It's free, easy to use, and quick to learn the basics, with lots of power behind it as you learn more.

I told you what happened during the update, because you seemed to think we were incompetent to do the update. I told you that was the only thing that went wrong, and other than that we just didn't have the aesthetics ready, as we didn't use a dev environment. So I don't see where you get incompetence from.

Back to the topic, like I said in my original post, you're really OK with anything with decent processing power. I don't know if you have any programming knowledge at all, but I do still have my intro level C++ text books in PDF from when I was taking those courses. Let me know if you'd want them, and I can send 'em your way.

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Again, I'm not sure why you're assuming things. He wants to learn C++, and is essentially asking the best way of doing so. I personally learned using a Linux environment, so I'll always suggest that, no matter what kind of laptop he's running. It's free, easy to use, and quick to learn the basics, with lots of power behind it as you learn more.

I told you what happened during the update, because you seemed to think we were incompetent to do the update. I told you that was the only thing that went wrong, and other than that we just didn't have the aesthetics ready, as we didn't use a dev environment. So I don't see where you get incompetence from.

Back to the topic, like I said in my original post, you're really OK with anything with decent processing power. I don't know if you have any programming knowledge at all, but I do still have my intro level C++ text books in PDF from when I was taking those courses. Let me know if you'd want them, and I can send 'em your way.

Yes please :D <3 also what do you think of the two laptops already posted? 

They're both good, I love Asus, and have never gotten a bad product from them personally. No matter what you decide to go with, I would suggest either putting Linux on it, or what I have done in the past is download cygwin, a free Unix-like command line interface. 

you don't really need a very powerufl laptop to learn programming. Personally, I recommend an ultrabook. If you really wanna get into software development, a macbook is expensive but definitely one of the best hardware/software unix based environments. Apple gets a lot of flack for being overpriced, but they really do make good quality products. If you have the money to blow, I would definitely get a Macbook. Nontheless, if your not about learning OS X, any laptop would do. I'm partial to small light laptops which is why I recommend an ultrabook. I'm generally on a Lenovo T440s and sometimes on a Macbook. Lenovo makes pretty solid products and I really like the aesthetics of the ThinkPad.  btw, ultrabook simply means a laptop 14" screen or less with an intel processor(and maybe a weight requirement, i dont remember). Check out intels ultrabook website, it has a lot of options to browse. 

1 hour ago, Moose said:

They're both good, I love Asus, and have never gotten a bad product from them personally. No matter what you decide to go with, I would suggest either putting Linux on it, or what I have done in the past is download cygwin, a free Unix-like command line interface. 

I've never really understood why and I hope you can elaborate but why linux? I know it's extremely popular for programming but never understood why? Also thanks everyone for the advice! I appreciate it greatly.

On 3/2/2016 at 3:04 PM, fps_trucka said:

I've never really understood why and I hope you can elaborate but why linux? I know it's extremely popular for programming but never understood why? Also thanks everyone for the advice! I appreciate it greatly.

Sorry, never saw your question. As you said, it's generally just popular for programming, and as an OS, it doesn't have much bloatware, and is mostly built for people with programming/more advanced computer backgrounds. There are some different versions that are more user-friendly, which are nice to get used to it also.. To give an example, when running on a Linux system, I rarely do anything outside of the command line, and if I do, I launch it through the command line. You can do a lot of this on Mac and Windows machines, but it causes a lot more grief with things like permissions, where as in Linux, it's extremely simple. In the end, I feel that the more you learn/understand on Linux, the more powerful it gets. In other OS', you may be able to do most of the same things, you'll just run into a lot more road blocks along the way. 

Don't think he wants a gaming laptop, and to learn programming and even moderate sized applications are not that large where you need a server farm to run it.

8 hours ago, Moose said:

Sorry, never saw your question. As you said, it's generally just popular for programming, and as an OS, it doesn't have much bloatware, and is mostly built for people with programming/more advanced computer backgrounds. There are some different versions that are more user-friendly, which are nice to get used to it also.. To give an example, when running on a Linux system, I rarely do anything outside of the command line, and if I do, I launch it through the command line. You can do a lot of this on Mac and Windows machines, but it causes a lot more grief with things like permissions, where as in Linux, it's extremely simple. In the end, I feel that the more you learn/understand on Linux, the more powerful it gets. In other OS', you may be able to do most of the same things, you'll just run into a lot more road blocks along the way. 

open source!

As one of the few computer science illiterate staff members (and probably the only cs illiterate "engineer"), this thread was still fun to read. Thanks for spicing it up for everyone else guys.

13 hours ago, skitt said:

open source!

I realized I left that out a little afterwards... Didn't care enough to come back and edit lol... But I suppose I did hit on it a little, by mentioning that there are many different versions, some of which are more user friendly.

Good choice on that laptop trucka , that ssd is going to be nice to have. Even if you end up needing an external drive they are pretty cheap.

Thanks for the keks potaters. I hope you didn't expect to get anywhere in this community. If so, you might have ruined your chances after taking your dick out and hitting every staff member with it.

he was right tho, albeit a little rude

ill take correct over polite any day

trucka asks for $600 laptop suggestions, these retards recommend $1200+ macbooks because muh build quality