Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fps_trucka

Programming laptop for C++

HI all. I am looking for a good laptop to program in C++. Wanted to learn it in my spare time and figured I'd ask you all before just going to frys and picking one up. Trying to keep the price around 600 (+/-100) is fine. Appreciate the help.

Acer Aspire E15.

Windows 10

8GB of Ram

Intel Core i7-5500U 5th Generation 2.4 GHz Processor

15.6" HD Display

1 TB 5400 RPM HDD

VIDIA GeForce 940M 4 GB Graphics 

Battery Life up to 5 Hours

Weighs 5.29 Pounds

It's really nice for a $700 Laptop.

Honestly, you'll be fine with pretty much anything. You don't need much power in it to write simple programs, and if your goal is to still be mobile just get a really light one. I got my laptop when I didn't expect to get a desktop anytime in the foreseeable future, and I regret not getting an ultra book that was slimmer, and lighter. The only real stipulation is if you're going to be doing this long term, you may want a decent to nice one. Once you get into writing programs that use multiple threads for example, having a nice processor is necessary.

25 minutes ago, Moose said:

Honestly, you'll be fine with pretty much anything. You don't need much power in it to write simple programs, and if your goal is to still be mobile just get a really light one. I got my laptop when I didn't expect to get a desktop anytime in the foreseeable future, and I regret not getting an ultra book that was slimmer, and lighter. The only real stipulation is if you're going to be doing this long term, you may want a decent to nice one. Once you get into writing programs that use multiple threads for example, having a nice processor is necessary.

Yeah I was debating getting like a nice small 13 inch but I heard for programming usually bigger is better so I figured I would get more opinions.

I would just double check that whatever you get that the CPU supports virtualization. They all should but I'm not 100% with mobile processors. I would just guess you might want different OS's or an isolated playground from your main OS to play with.

Unless you are developing very large programs with many dependencies and classes then you don't need a very demanding laptop. Just get something with a quad core intel i5 or i7.

At least 4GB of RAM, 8 ideally.

15 minutes ago, skitt said:

MacBook.

Bad suggestion. If he's wanting to buy a Windows laptop already that means he's not an OSX developer.

Win CPP !== OSX CPP

Just now, potaters said:

Bad suggestion. If he's wanting to buy a Windows laptop already that means he's not an OSX developer.

Win CPP !== OSX CPP

wtf are you talking about....

4 minutes ago, potaters said:

Win CPP !== OSX CPP

Umm... what? C++ is C++..... 

Just now, camelFun said:

Umm... what? C++ is C++..... 

Yes, but developing C++ programs for windows is a completely different set of libraries than it is for Mac.

1 minute ago, potaters said:

Yes, but developing C++ programs for windows is a completely different set of libraries than it is for Mac.

I think you might be retarded.

6 minutes ago, potaters said:

Why are you running off at the mouth about things you don't know anything about? Do you know what a library is? Probably not, or else you'd know what a library is...

15 minutes ago, Moose said:

I think you might be retarded.

You guys are retarded suggesting cross platform development will be so easy to do, or there is even a reason to do that when you won't be developing for that OS OR in that IDE.

Obviously it won't take long to learn C++ basics if he has any prior programming experience. Then he'll be using OS specific functions/headers.

12 minutes ago, Clamps said:

I mean, his name IS potaters...

and you like Futurama.

40 minutes ago, skitt said:

MacBook.

Only reason why I am against a macro ok is having to learn all about them and if I used windows I can easily transfer docs over. Other than that though I heard their laptops are amazing. 

7 minutes ago, potaters said:

You guys are retarded suggesting cross platform development will be so easy to do, or there is even a reason to do that when you won't be developing for that OS OR in that IDE.

Obviously it won't take long to learn C++ basics if he has any prior programming experience. Then he'll be using OS specific functions.

and you like Futurama.

please stop dude. you are making a fool of urself. 

Just now, skitt said:

please stop dude. you are making a fool of urself. 

ok... I'll concede to the people who cant even properly upgrade/maintain an Invision power forum ahahhaa

Just now, fps_trucka said:

Only reason why I am against a macro ok is having to learn all about them and if I used windows I can easily transfer docs over. Other than that though I heard their laptops are amazing. 

You can always get an external drive and dual boot or use parallels to have both Windows and OS X. 

I have a 2015 15" rMBP and I enjoy it, the screen is fantastic and wonderful for coding and reading things.

The keyboard feels nice and solid.

The only two things I don't like about it is the price (around $2k) and the fact that it barely comes with any storage for the price (256 GB SSD)

I can only recommend a Macbook for programming if you have the funds.

Just now, potaters said:

ok... I'll concede to the people who cant even properly upgrade/maintain an Invision power forum ahahhaa

Sorry, my Apple-developed, Mac OS X exclusive IDE wasn't working lmaooo

10 minutes ago, camelFun said:

Sorry, my Apple-developed, Mac OS X exclusive IDE wasn't working lmaooo

Ok bud, just don't forget the uploads go in the web root :lol:

You realize you're talking to people who actually have their degrees in web/software engineering fields? You obviously don't have as much experience as you think you do. It's extremely simple to develop on any OS, for any platform really. IDEs take care of most of those problems for you, or you can have other things to compile. 

Besides that, everything is moot because you keep telling him to go to Windows. If it really mattered, he would just put any type of Linux on it anyways. 

this thread is A+ thank you for your comedy potaters

arguing with people who have been programming since diapers Keepo

also fyi, the transition from ipb3 to ipb4 isn't easy, not everything just transfers with a click of a button, if we wanted a forum that worked the way it worked in ipb3 we would be down for more than half a day.

6 minutes ago, Moose said:

You realize you're talking to people who actually have their degrees in web/software engineering fields? You obviously don't have as much experience as you think you do. It's extremely simple to develop on any OS, for any platform really. IDEs take care of most of those problems for you, or you can have other things to compile. 

Besides that, everything is moot because you keep telling him to go to Windows. If it really mattered, he would just put any type of Linux on it anyways. 

Point being? Bad advice is bad advice with your piece of paper or not.

Also I'm not a C dev, but I know better than to tell someone to dev on another IDE.

You guys are lying saying there is no learning curve to MS VCPP and knowing where/what the shortcuts are. Are you saying you don't use the windows.h header in almost all your projects??

Also in OP he had described a windows computer.

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

this thread is A+ thank you for your comedy potaters

arguing with people who have been programming since diapers Keepo

also fyi, the transition from ipb3 to ipb4 isn't easy, not everything just transfers with a click of a button, if we wanted a forum that worked the way it worked in ipb3 we would be down for more than half a day.

Obviously it's not a click of a button.

Clearly you don't have experience working in production environments or you guys would have setup a local identical forum and done the upgrade there then bring it to prod. Or just fuck it up on the live one... 

Regardless an easy task for any experienced full stack web dev.