Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fps_trucka

Thoughts on Windows 10?

Not liking the mandatory updates, I'll wait to see how it plays out for a while. Hopefully the pro edition lets you choose updates.

I'm allowed to install it in a few days but was worried it will fuck with my games. Do I have to do further bs to get games not meant for 8 to work on 10? Also paranoid because when 8.1 was installed it installed wrong and I was forced to factory reset

I have an upgrade ready on both of my computers but I am going to wait a bit before I actually use them.

You have a year to hold onto them anyways

Not liking the mandatory updates, I'll wait to see how it plays out for a while. Hopefully the pro edition lets you choose updates.

"Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available," the Descriptions page explains. "Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates."

I'm getting a copy of pro for myself and my wife will get home edition as I know updates would never be done otherwise on her computer.

I personally think that is a great idea for home user, but I am somewhat concerned about possible security vulnerabilities.

Running latest Win10 builds on both my Desktop and Surface Pro 3. No problems here, actually runs pretty nicely. Also running Office 2016 Preview on both.

Dont you have to pay after the first year?

No, it's not a subscription-based OS

Well he isn't far off horny... This is the start to get people used to the idea of "subscribing" or activating with an account instead of product key. Also get people used to tying your install to an account and requiring to phone home every month. The next version of Windows will most likely be pay every year type of thing. 

People might equate it to giving free drugs and getting people hooked to then charge them but I think it is just people aren't used to paying for software like this. Subscriber model and typically SaaS are monthly/yearly payments which businesses are used to but consumer are not used to having to pay like this for their software. Windows 10 is baby steps to getting consumers used to this concept so they can charge us down the road. 

Pro can defer not decline. Enterprise can decline. That being said I've been running pro for a month with office 16 and no issues

Sent from my oneplus one