Sign in to follow this  
ctark

What to do with a server, or two, or three.....

So like the title says, what should I do with 3 servers?

Some more info:

I have two dual proc, dual core, 1.6Ghz servers, both with 2x160gb HDD's - 2xgbps ports

I have another server, either 2.0 or 2.4Ghz proc.

I have my main router (provided by ISP (supposidly it 'has' to be the first device from the WAN))

This router has a wireless AP connected to it.

Connected to the first router I have another router (with DD-WRT installed)  This has wireless capabilities - Currently it's set to bridge the wireless, and have it running on a different channel, idk how well this will work, idk.......

I think somewhere I have a 16 port rack mount switch, though I think it's only a 100mbps, so the two above router's 1gbps ports would be better.

I also have a couple rack mount HDD bays, probably with internal raid or some shit, haven't touched these, and I have to dig them out of my garage, but keep that in mind, that if I have a use, I could probably set it up too.

Other things to note, currently have one box running Server 2012 - R2.

Other options could be a nix box too, though playing with all the roles of a server installation would be fun and educational.

So, what should I do with these, what roles should I run?   I want to put something cool together on them, because right now they are just sitting there wasting space, and if I can learn off this, that would be awesome.

Also if theres thing you think I need, (like "omg it would be great if you had a 10hdd raid capable bay") maybe I have it, and it's just not installed on the rack yet, so throw things out, and I'll check if I have it.

i don't know jack about servers, but if they are good enough to host small servers, you could rent them out for a fee :^)

OR, better yet, you can stack them on top of each other and try to knock them over with a ball

Edited by Siesan

i don't know jack about servers, but if they are good enough to host small servers, you could rent them out for a fee :^)

1.6Ghz proc, kinda slow and old.  I mean it would be fine for an sql server or some web shit, but gameservs would suck on it.  The 2.4Ghz might be an option, but that would mean a lot of maint if I actually would rent them out.

Though, I could upgrade my internet to 175/175mbps, unlimited bandwidth, and buy some high end servers and host the sG servers on them!   ..... or not.

Didn't even ask me first?

*sigh*

Renting them out is a plausible idea, however assuming you're running these from home where the internet is not only limited but unreliable, it is going to be tough finding customers.

My suggestions,

- Leave one aside for a perma-temp server (have it handy for whenever you need it)

- Make a cool bot. One that can automatically trade stuff or whatnot, a cool forum bot that can PM you stats like who has uprepped and negrepped you the most, who does what, etc

- I don't know much about this stuff, but could you turn one into a mining rig / etc?

- Make a cool bot. One that can automatically trade stuff or whatnot, a cool forum bot that can PM you stats like who has uprepped and negrepped you the most, who does what, etc

THIS.

Set them up for a home theatre system to every tv in the house, and put all your downloaded movies there and can stream them.

Edited by Spell

install esxi 5.5 on both; then create an esxi cluster. install vcenter server appliance and make many VMs. add storage, and play with boot from san. take VMware course (required) and become a VCP-DV5 :)  too easy.

Phase2; make one of your VMs an asterisk PBX; peer your pbx with mine; provide free calling to Canada.

make a plex media server; a server 2k12r2 WSUS server; a server 2k12r2 domain controller/dns/dhcp/windows deployment server; an NTP/ssh entry point/SSL CA server

install esxi 5.5 on both; then create an esxi cluster. install vcenter server appliance and make many VMs. add storage, and play with boot from san. take VMware course (required) and become a VCP-DV5 :)  too easy.

Phase2; make one of your VMs an asterisk PBX; peer your pbx with mine; provide free calling to Canada.

make a plex media server; a server 2k12r2 WSUS server; a server 2k12r2 domain controller/dns/dhcp/windows deployment server; an NTP/ssh entry point/SSL CA server

I hope I'm not the only one who didn't understand anything that was said here.

Hmm, this is quite tempting actually.  Both options.  currently have 2k12r2 on one, so maybe I will start with the latter suggestion, and when I get bored of it, repurpose into the former option.