Sign in to follow this  
Ramenboi

I need overclocking help

Hi, as you know from the alst thread, i have a prebuilt gateway gt5428(http://support.gateway.com/s/pc/R/1009466/1009466nv.shtml) with extra ram and a new vid card. Here is the problem, i want to overclock the cpu and the bios dosnt let me do it, there is no option for me to overclock it.

I somehow need to change(?) or do something to my bios to overclock, winflash dosnt work and im out of options, any tips?

Thanks guys.

Ramen

simply, your motherboard is not made to overclock.

imo, theres really no reason to overclock a 3.2ghz Pentium D though.. the first thing you want to do is upgrade your ram if you havent already

ram is at 2.5ghz, 1x2gb 1x512mhz should i upgrade? cuz i have the money for that

Like I said about a bazillion times, you're fine with RAM, but feel free to continue to disregard anything I say if you want to waste your money.

you could flash your bios but i don't know that will help. either way, you could just get a better CPU. on the other hand, overclocking is typically dangerous and not recommended unless you have the proper cooling setup.

Speed is 800 and yeah i know you told me i was fine with my ram, but i really feel the need

(if that's referring to OCing) You can't. You have a stock mobo. Don't buy prebuilts.

(if that's referring to ram) You don't need to. You have 2 gigs of ram. What video card do you have/how slow is your operating system? I'm just going to take a guess and say you still have all that gateway bloatware start up with XP or Vista, or 7.

run > msconfig > startup > uncheck programs you KNOW you don't need, if you don't know what it does, don't fuck with it.

I would say the ram is the factor there though, it's a bit slow. might aswell just get a new computer, by the time you upgrade the ram, you will probably need a new gfx card for any new games, plus then your cpu will be the bottleneck, so new one of those, o and new mobo for the new cpu / ram....

Might as well just save up. Try to tweek the system asmuch as possible to remove unwanted programs, defrag the hdd....?

already did msconfig b4, computer runs FAST just need more resources for running the frostbite engine

i have a xfx nVidia GeForce 9500 gt 1gb ddr2 (on the card)

already did msconfig b4, computer runs FAST just need more resources for running the frostbite engine

i have a xfx nVidia GeForce 9500 gt 1gb ddr2 (on the card)

Anything less than a 9800 is fail

Just save and buy a new computer. or if you do buy a new gfx card, make it worth it, so you don't have to buy a new one when you get another mobo/cpu/ram... granted it will be bottlenecked for the time being, but it's better than spending money now, then getting some later.

O and really, OC'ing that rig just isn't worth it.