Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimic

Community Update 5/31/18

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since the last update, and I know a lot of you are anxious to see Staff changes, but due to the immediate need to make an announcement regarding a few of our servers, this announcement will be made in the meantime. That being said, expect a Staff update in the near future.

In order to save server costs and due to them being largely un-played and underpopulated, it has been decided that the following public servers will be shut down:

• 1v1
  • Retakes
  • Rust

Back in March of 2016, we started an sG Rust server. It started with a moderate and steady population which decreased over time but had some high points, even requiring an increase in slots to handle the player base. Lately, however, the population is almost non-existent and after two years (longer than anyone thought it would last, right?) we've decided it's time to let go of the rust server. I would like to thank those who were involved in running, voting for, making events for and populating the server over the past two years.

Karma, Rust Engineer

These servers account for 1 VDS and the Rust server, but do note that we are still looking into expanding into different games and/or servers in existing games. Keep on the lookout regarding these changes moving forward!

Regards,

- Mimic

RIP RUST!

MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME!

CENTRAN WALLS NEVER STAND A CHANCE!

Thanks Centran ,Karma and Yunki and everyone else who made rust fun!

Rip the rust server and retakes wondering what other games we might bring to sG

PUBG has been testing out private servers, the past couple of months. That is a huge game with a lot of current community participation, and I know some other communities have gotten access to such servers. This would not be immediate, unfortunately.

ZS has been talked about for a long time, and there was a prototype made a few years ago. With the removal of the central development server for the game mode (Noxious Net), there has been an uptake in other servers. Most of that population has migrated to Sun Rust, but we do have an avid core group that does play ZS, and it might get interest from ZE players.

It is interesting to consider the future of sG servers, given the decline of interest in TTT and CSGO in general. More avid and active developers should be looked into, as a lot of our current engineers are busy with real-life work, unfortunately.

33 minutes ago, Gerald said:

PUBG has been testing out private servers, the past couple of months. That is a huge game with a lot of current community participation, and I know some other communities have gotten access to such servers. This would not be immediate, unfortunately.

I've been actively watching the PUBGPartners Twitter @ https://twitter.com/PUBGpartners. Partnership is currently unavailable and is a strict application process. Another gaming community was able to acquire one on a trial basis, and I heard it wasn't easy to obtain it. We'd absolutely be open to the idea once they make their API available and allow true custom servers (Imagine Star Wars Royale, for example). 

Same goes for Fortnite, application process is very strict.

ZS has been talked about for a long time, and there was a prototype made a few years ago. With the removal of the central development server for the game mode (Noxious Net), there has been an uptake in other servers. Most of that population has migrated to Sun Rust, but we do have an avid core group that does play ZS, and it might get interest from ZE players.

I agree with this completely and have pushed multiple times for it to be looked into. Stay tuned (hopefully).

It is interesting to consider the future of sG servers, given the decline of interest in TTT and CSGO in general. More avid and active developers should be looked into, as a lot of our current engineers are busy with real-life work, unfortunately.

If anyone is capable and knows how gameservers work and is willing to be an active engineer/developer, they can apply via staff application.

EDIT: I also would like to mention that I am always on the look out for CS:GO-esque games that provide a community experience. It simply doesn't exist. Attention has been diverted towards the current "BR fad" that shows a never ending decline. We are at the mercy of game devs, unfortunately.