Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Avengers: Infinity War Discussion

Hey Guys!

It's Thursday, which means Avengers: Infinity War releases today! 

Some people unfortunately are not as privileged as others to be able to see the movie tonight, so I ask that any and ALL discussion be left in this thread using at least 5-6 lines of SPOILER tags before your post.

This means you cannot talk about how GREAT the movie was in Discord, as well. 

Thanks in advance for being respectful.

Of course the black one dies right? And RIP Doctor Strange! I was surprised about Spiderman dying though. Thanos got like what 20 of em? It was a bit weird that Captain America survived with Iron Man...

ca509be8f2.png

How do to spoilers..

Edited by Travesty

I was quite disappointed, the movie was advertised as having no cliffhanger, guess what? Cliffhanger, so done with the entire super hero movie thing at this point.

I don't this this is spoiling the film for anyone, but if I wouldn't recommend seeing the film, or at least waiting a while to see it.

Edited by willy (wilson)

@willy (wilson)

you didn't understand the premise then, there is no cliffhanger, because this movie wasn't about the Avengers, it was about Thanos. He did exactly what he wanted to do. Not every movie has a happy ending. 

23 hours ago, Sean said:

@willy (wilson)

Hide contents

you didn't understand the premise then, there is no cliffhanger, because this movie wasn't about the Avengers, it was about Thanos. He did exactly what he wanted to do. Not every movie has a happy ending. 

WHY ISN'T IT CALLED THANOS: INFINITY WAR THEN? 

On 4/27/2018 at 11:15 AM, willy (wilson) said:

Hide contents

I was quite disappointed, the movie was advertised as having no cliffhanger, guess what? Cliffhanger, so done with the entire super hero movie thing at this point.

I don't this this is spoiling the film for anyone, but if I wouldn't recommend seeing the film, or at least waiting a while to see it.

There's a sequel coming out in a year. If you didn't expect something to be left unresolved after the first part of a two part series, you haven't seen many movie series.

And as sad endings go, this wasn't particularly sad. Did you notice that Doctor Strange saw exactly one path to victory using the Time Stone, and when dying said "This was the only way"?

I was pleasantly surprised. This was actually quite good.

Edited by thorgot

On 27/04/2018 at 2:21 PM, Sean said:

@willy (wilson)

Hide contents

eh. It's def a cliff hanger. an amazing one tho.

Edited by Sean

Overall I loved the movie despite some strange plot holes. Thanos was an amazing villain who at times had me rooting for him which is a sign hes up there with Heath Ledger's Joker in terms of good superhero movie villains. I don't understand why Thanos couldn't just make endless amounts of resources appear instead of killing everyone but thats ok. Thor has gone from my least favorite marvel character pre-avengers 2 to possibly my favorite. I'm predicting a small time jump in the next movie where the heroes are basically wallowing in their defeat before a pissed off hawkeye who just lost him family appears to get the band back together. Was also awesome and weirdly statistically unlikely all the original heroes survived. I' really pumped for Captain Marvel now but I think the one who kills Thanos will be Hawkeye(because noone would expect him to do it) or nebula . Peter Dinklage was awesome but his fake accent was horrible and sounded more like a spoof than an actual attempt. I also predict that next movie we'll learn all the people who died from the finger snap are stuck in the soul stone world Thanos encounters child gamorra in. I think gamorra next movie will act as a guilty conscience for Thanos but that he'll ultimately stand by his convictions and still end up killing at least some of the original avengers even after everyone is revived.  I'm glad this was Thanos' movie. Hes arguably the single most important MCU character and always has been. Also its not really a cliffhanger to me because arguably the series could end at this point and make sense narrative wise. Thanos is the connector of the MCU and he has accomplished his mission. 

Edited by Ordinarygamer96

10 hours ago, Beerman said:

Reveal hidden contents

hulk with the whiskey dick tho

For once hulk was pissed off and not enraged. I don't think it was whiskey dick; more like being a dick.

From what I understand of the soul Stone, and from the glimpses that we could see from Thanos going to that Red Water dimension, where baby Gamora was waiting for him; I dont think that the people he "Killed" I don't believe are truly dead. The Soul stone is the strongest of the stones, being able to tap into someone's Soul, what makes them a person (Which could Ideally also be used to command the other stones) I think they may have been sucked into the stone, or at least their souls could be trapped there. But what I am curious to know is - Given how Dr. Strange is dead, there is no one else that has the power or knowledge on how to handle an Infinity stone. Those that could (Quill being part Celestial, Strange being Sorcerer Supreme, etc) are dead, or at least unable to fight, and not like they can just pop their hand in the gauntlet, I'm not sure what ingenous plan they'll use to bring everyone back. 

Which leads me to the next point; Not sure how good Captain Marvel will be either. She may be able to kick Thano's ass and put up a fight, but its not like she's an alien all knowing being that will know how to command the infinity stones, or even be able to handle them.

2 hours ago, Mark from Facebook said:

Hide contents

From what I understand of the soul Stone, and from the glimpses that we could see from Thanos going to that Red Water dimension, where baby Gamora was waiting for him; I dont think that the people he "Killed" I don't believe are truly dead. The Soul stone is the strongest of the stones, being able to tap into someone's Soul, what makes them a person (Which could Ideally also be used to command the other stones) I think they may have been sucked into the stone, or at least their souls could be trapped there. But what I am curious to know is - Given how Dr. Strange is dead, there is no one else that has the power or knowledge on how to handle an Infinity stone. Those that could (Quill being part Celestial, Strange being Sorcerer Supreme, etc) are dead, or at least unable to fight, and not like they can just pop their hand in the gauntlet, I'm not sure what ingenous plan they'll use to bring everyone back. 

Which leads me to the next point; Not sure how good Captain Marvel will be either. She may be able to kick Thano's ass and put up a fight, but its not like she's an alien all knowing being that will know how to command the infinity stones, or even be able to handle them.

Assuming they even handle the gauntlet at all. Remember it got fucked after Thanos did his infinite finger snap of infinity? Looked like the stones cracked as well, maybe they're diminished or out of the picture entirely, I have no idea. I don't think they would include the gauntlet destroying itself if it wasn't relevant.

I saw the movie two days after it came out and it was hard to avoid spoilers. I felt like it was a phenomenal movie that had many twists and turns. I thought it was one of most well crafted Marvel movies of all time.  And yes i was fanboying out the entire movie.

13 hours ago, Sith said:

Hide contents

Assuming they even handle the gauntlet at all. Remember it got fucked after Thanos did his infinite finger snap of infinity? Looked like the stones cracked as well, maybe they're diminished or out of the picture entirely, I have no idea. I don't think they would include the gauntlet destroying itself if it wasn't relevant.

That is an interesting point about the gauntlet being fucked up at the end. Lets go with the Soul World within the soul stone theory and that everyone can be brought back without some time travel foolery. If this was really a Thanos story arc and since this movie was originally marketed as Part 1 then maybe Part 2 will continue his story but not in a way to defeat like you would think. Going by some of the comic book lore that the soul stone craved souls maybe the true villain is the soul stone. It would be an incredible twist if Thanos has to be convinced that the soul stone tricked him and then has to help re-assemble the gauntlet to free everyone because he was wrong.

However, given the leaked set photos I think they are going to go with a multi-verse adventure and steal gauntlet and/or stones from another universe. It would be awesome if they could have used the second part as means to bring in the characters that Fox owns but the merger probably won't happen till end of 2019 so it would be too late (unless they made some sweet heart back room deal).

Edited by centran

1 hour ago, centran said:

Hide contents

That is an interesting point about the gauntlet being fucked up at the end. Lets go with the Soul World within the soul stone theory and that everyone can be brought back without some time travel foolery. If this was really a Thanos story arc and since this movie was originally marketed as Part 1 then maybe Part 2 will continue his story but not in a way to defeat like you would think. Going by some of the comic book lore that the soul stone craved souls maybe the true villain is the soul stone. It would be an incredible twist if Thanos has to be convinced that the soul stone tricked him and then has to help re-assemble the gauntlet to free everyone because he was wrong.

However, given the leaked set photos I think they are going to go with a multi-verse adventure and steal gauntlet and/or stones from another universe. It would be awesome if they could have used the second part as means to bring in the characters that Fox owns but the merger probably won't happen till end of 2019 so it would be too late (unless they made some sweet heart back room deal).

I also agree with the multiverse thing. Agents of Shield in their most recent episode brought up the concept of the multiverse multiple times and even potentially are hinting the reason the show and movies don't connect as much is because they're actually different universes. I do believe the theory that the soul stone has a pocket universe and I actually think the girl Gamorra is the real Gamorra basically now acting as Thanos' guilty conscience. I think Captain Marvel will help them go to another universe possibly. I think the Gauntlet itself is broken but the stones likely each work individually. We also know more gauntlets can be made by Peter Dinklage's character 

2 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Hide contents

I also agree with the multiverse thing. Agents of Shield in their most recent episode brought up the concept of the multiverse multiple times and even potentially are hinting the reason the show and movies don't connect as much is because they're actually different universes. I do believe the theory that the soul stone has a pocket universe and I actually think the girl Gamorra is the real Gamorra basically now acting as Thanos' guilty conscience. I think Captain Marvel will help them go to another universe possibly. I think the Gauntlet itself is broken but the stones likely each work individually. We also know more gauntlets can be made by Peter Dinklage's character 

Yeah that would make sense. Baking off what Centran Said, the twist could be amazing to happen, especially since in the comics, Thanos 

does fight alongside the Avengers in some of the comics. I feel like them going to different multiverses is a bit of a lazy escape. It would be more interesting to see them attempt to reason with Thanos on to his Human side and attempt to bring everyone back. It will be fun to see what happens, that is for sure. 

But something that I never quite understood- Thanos in the Comics is in love with death, not the salvation of everyone. Why would they alter his character like such? In the comics, he literally is in love with Lady death, and believes no one is deserving to live in the Universe (including himself) and kills everyone and their mothers so lady death would notice his devotion for her.

Would definitely be interesting to see if they are able to reverse everything (or fix) without killing Thanos. 

But something that was extremely well done is how Infinity war, thanos is the Protagonist. Its a movie about him, him being the lead character.

1 hour ago, Mark from Facebook said:

Hide contents

Yeah that would make sense. Baking off what Centran Said, the twist could be amazing to happen, especially since in the comics, Thanos 

does fight alongside the Avengers in some of the comics. I feel like them going to different multiverses is a bit of a lazy escape. It would be more interesting to see them attempt to reason with Thanos on to his Human side and attempt to bring everyone back. It will be fun to see what happens, that is for sure. 

But something that I never quite understood- Thanos in the Comics is in love with death, not the salvation of everyone. Why would they alter his character like such? In the comics, he literally is in love with Lady death, and believes no one is deserving to live in the Universe (including himself) and kills everyone and their mothers so lady death would notice his devotion for her.

Would definitely be interesting to see if they are able to reverse everything (or fix) without killing Thanos. 

But something that was extremely well done is how Infinity war, thanos is the Protagonist. Its a movie about him, him being the lead character.

I just read an article today that Russo scrapped the whole comic book lore of Death. They decided to go with an overpopulation reasoning than a scorned lover thing, so don't expect her to play a part in this upcoming movie.

Dr Strange foreseeing tons of futures and the only one where they win has StarIdiot literally throwing in the boss fight

:thinking:

I really liked that fight though, in any movie where the good guys fight 2v10 it's usually really five 2v2s while the other bad guys dance around the fight. This fight had a little of that (Thanos pretty much did like 10 bouts of 1v1s, 1v2s) but each superhero's presence and actions were usually accounted for throughout the fight. Pretty neat imo that Dr Strange played the support role in that fight rather than a nuker dps carry.

I like this take of Thanos tbh. It's easier to see where he's coming from when his actions are explained through his past over him simply being crazy/depraved and the producers did a great job at the end imo where we see the aftermath through his eyes. We see a guy who reluctantly just committed mass genocide because he thought it was the right and moral thing to do. Whether it sits right or not with him, we'll only find out in the next movie.

12 hours ago, Sith said:

Hide contents

I just read an article today that Russo scrapped the whole comic book lore of Death. They decided to go with an overpopulation reasoning than a scorned lover thing, so don't expect her to play a part in this upcoming movie.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more bitching about "social commentary" and Russo was trying to push political agenda with overpopulation, destroying the planet, wasting resources idea. So given that problem hasn't come up I think it was the better route as people would be more understanding then he is in love with Death. They wanted to portray him as very smart, hurt, and miss-guided in his logic. Being in love with death at best makes him a generic watch the world burn type of villain or at the worst a nut job.

It's weird though since I think if they had him in love death that would be a more easy to accept concept to understand then this whole balance thing. 

2 hours ago, centran said:

Hide contents

I'm surprised I haven't heard more bitching about "social commentary" and Russo was trying to push political agenda with overpopulation, destroying the planet, wasting resources idea. So given that problem hasn't come up I think it was the better route as people would be more understanding then he is in love with Death. They wanted to portray him as very smart, hurt, and miss-guided in his logic. Being in love with death at best makes him a generic watch the world burn type of villain or at the worst a nut job.

It's weird though since I think if they had him in love death that would be a more easy to accept concept to understand then this whole balance thing. 

I disagree, I feel like the more compelling villain is the "well, he's got a point" type of deal. Similar to Killmonger/Magneto/Dr. Doom, most of these villains aren't evil for the sake of being evil, they fight for a rational cause, just like our heroes, however for a more perverted means to an end. Unlike the comics, Thanos doesn't enjoy death, he really believes using the gauntlet is the more merciful approach for saving life by instantaneously wiping out half of the universe. No pain, no ordeal, just poof. And life continues to exist. It's not easy to do, but someone has to do it, and he believes he has the 'will' to.

Honestly, I would have preferred that they removed the whole crumbling in to dust scene and just have half of everyone INSTANTLY gone after Thanos came back from his vision/illusion/whateverthehellitwas with Gamora. I would've preferred coming back to Earth with everyone looking around to see who was still existing. I think it would've added more tension if the audience did a mental roll-call of who won the lottery of Thanos Infinity Snap of Infinity. However, I wouldn't have had that tearjerker with our spider-man fading away so that was a good scene for me.