Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordinarygamer96

Medicare for all bill has more support than ever

So this is currently the closest a universal healthcare proposal has ever come. It's not truly intended to pass yet considering the republicans control Congress but it's clear the dem party is going to make this a central focus of their coming elections.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/politics/bernie-sanders-medicare-for-all-plan-details/index.html

So watching the video I have questions now. If I maintain my companies insurance will I be provided with better care than those who do not have insurance? Will I receive any medications for a cheaper price? If not will I still be fined under the Affordable Care Act provisions for not maintaining insurance?

Just now, water.exe said:

So watching the video I have questions now. If I maintain my companies insurance will I be provided with better care than those who do not have insurance? Will I receive any medications for a cheaper price? If not will I still be fined under the Affordable Care Act provisions for not maintaining insurance?

While I haven't read the full proposal yet obviously the whole point of universal healthcare is it replaces the ACA and private insurance companies entirely.  The point is for the government to be the one insurance company with the power to bargain with medical companies to lower drug costs 

Just now, Ordinarygamer96 said:

While I haven't read the full proposal yet obviously the whole point of universal healthcare is it replaces the ACA and private insurance companies entirely.  The point is for the government to be the one insurance company with the power to bargain with medical companies to lower drug costs 

I dont see how this would lower costs for everyone because if they do eliminate private insurance and this does replace the PPACA the drug companies hold all the cards then and their is literally no point to lower the price any lower and the repercussion of this is I will get lower standard of care AND have my taxes increase which is something I am not okay with.

I dont see how this would lower costs for everyone because if they do eliminate private insurance and this does replace the PPACA the drug companies hold all the cards then and their is literally no point to lower the price any lower and the repercussion of this is I will get lower standard of care AND have my taxes increase which is something I am not okay with.

Ok for starters you understand you already pay more on average for healthcare than countries with universal healthcare. That's a known fact. The way it gets cheaper is 1. The government doesn't need to turn a profit like an insurance company does so you won't have to worry about the government trying to avoid paying for your services or overcharging you like insurance companies do. Second the reason drugs cost more in America than Canada or Europe is that it's currently not allowed for the government to force the drug companies to charge a fair price. Other countries have laws about overcharging and price gouging done by medical companies. The companies have to negotiate witg the government on a fair price and be open about what their costs truly are. You get almost perfect coverage under universal healthcare for a cheaper rate tham the average insurance payment and because coverage is universal it means the population is healthier and therefore more productive which helps the program pay for itself in the long run

Which is why private insurance won't go away just like in UK.

Sure I can go into the hospital for that stab wound and wait 4 hours. It wasn't life threatening but just hurts like a bitch.... or I can use my insurance and get treated immediately. (rich people problems)

Ok for starters you understand you already pay more on average for healthcare than countries with universal healthcare. That's a known fact. The way it gets cheaper is 1. The government doesn't need to turn a profit like an insurance company does so you won't have to worry about the government trying to avoid paying for your services or overcharging you like insurance companies do. Second the reason drugs cost more in America than Canada or Europe is that it's currently not allowed for the government to force the drug companies to charge a fair price. Other countries have laws about overcharging and price gouging done by medical companies. The companies have to negotiate witg the government on a fair price and be open about what their costs truly are. You get almost perfect coverage under universal healthcare for a cheaper rate tham the average insurance payment and because coverage is universal it means the population is healthier and therefore more productive which helps the program pay for itself in the long run

I pay only $100 a month 1200/yr for insurance. I doubt the government could compete with that. Also with vision and dental I pay around 1260/yr

I pay only $100 a month 1200/yr for insurance. I doubt the government could compete with that

I'm gonna assume 2 percent of your yearly income is less than 1200 so I think they can. It's probably better coverage that what you get as well

I actually pay a fraction above 2% of my yearly income for my insurance plan

The universal healthcare plan also doesn't have copays. So no matter what you save money still and you don't have to worry about not being covered for something random or the company trying to get out of not paying you 

The universal healthcare plan also doesn't have copays. So no matter what you save money still and you don't have to worry about not being covered for something random or the company trying to get out of not paying you 

But now we get to the nitty gritty part is my taxes going increase just 2% or will it be higher than 2%

But now we get to the nitty gritty part is my taxes going increase just 2% or will it be higher than 2%

The bill literally is there for you to read soon  enough. There's a reason no  country has ever voted to remove universal healthcare after getting it.  It's popular everywhere its done

Medicare for all would be a disaster. It's too expensive, there's too much paperwork, and it will decrease the quality of care in this country.

1 hour ago, Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV said:

Based on what? Not challenging you, just wanting a good reason why. 

He does have a point, here in the UK if you go to a general hospital you're treated like chickens. There's so many people there they need to get you in and out as fast as possible so as to keep up with the amount of patients they have.

If you go to a private hospital using work insurance, like I do, you get a much better level of treatment and actually feel like it's made a difference. I refuse to use the general hospital anymore because if you don't catch something worse than you already have during your visit, you're being treated like a number they want to etch out ASAP.

Not complaining... free healthcare is amazing, slightly taxable private healthcare doesn't break the bank though. I'll stick with the slightly taxable.

6 hours ago, Rayne said:

He does have a point, here in the UK if you go to a general hospital you're treated like chickens. There's so many people there they need to get you in and out as fast as possible so as to keep up with the amount of patients they have.

One of my History teachers back in High School said it was the exact same thing back when he lived in Canada.

Just now, Ironic said:

One of my History teachers back in High School said it was the exact same thing back when he lived in Canada.

I mean they're not going to stick some maggots in your gash and send you on your way, you get to see a doctor and 7 times out of 10 they sort you out. It's just the other 3 times out of 10 when you end up waiting for five hours to see a nurse / trainee doctor who doesn't give a shit, or at least gives off that impression, to be given a half arsed prognosis which usually equates to you having to go back in 2-3 days with some new illness they've given you.

I'll stick to my private health care I think. You actually get a room and a bed that way...

15 hours ago, Ian Kinsler said:

Medicare for all would be a disaster. It's too expensive, there's too much paperwork, and it will decrease the quality of care in this country.

• The US already spends the most per capita on healthcare while the average of other universal healthcare countries spend far less
  • I'm not sure what you mean about too much paper work but that doesn't seem like an issue to even bring up.
  • When everyone has access to health care of course its going to increase wait times, etc. However it will not change how your doctor treats you.

Universal health care is the way to go if you're looking at your country at a whole vs. just thinking about yourself. Private health care is awesome if you're only worried about yourself. Having a mix would probably work best for the US where you can purchase private health care if you're privileged enough but the less than fortunate would still get free healthcare covered by every tax payer simply because they're also American. Healthcare should be a right not a privilege.

Fun fact: The US ranks 31st out of all countries for life expectancy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Either way I'd put money on that in the next two or three elections you're going to see a candidate running on universal health care and winning because of it. It's going to happen soon enough, especially with since Americans have had a taste of it with Obamacare.

6 hours ago, Travesty said:
  • The US already spends the most per capita on healthcare while the average of other universal healthcare countries spend far less
  • I'm not sure what you mean about too much paper work but that doesn't seem like an issue to even bring up.
  • When everyone has access to health care of course its going to increase wait times, etc. However it will not change how your doctor treats you.

Universal health care is the way to go if you're looking at your country at a whole vs. just thinking about yourself. Private health care is awesome if you're only worried about yourself. Having a mix would probably work best for the US where you can purchase private health care if you're privileged enough but the less than fortunate would still get free healthcare covered by every tax payer simply because they're also American. Healthcare should be a right not a privilege.

Fun fact: The US ranks 31st out of all countries for life expectancy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Either way I'd put money on that in the next two or three elections you're going to see a candidate running on universal health care and winning because of it. It's going to happen soon enough, especially with since Americans have had a taste of it with Obamacare.

The US does spend a lot on healthcare and UHC will triple that number. Too much paperwork not being an issue you think should be brought up just shows how little you understand about this issue. When the government decides to get involved in anything, they spend money. There are a lot of people who demand that the money be spent appropriately. This means pay cuts for physicians, nurses, and pharmacists, the prior authorization phenomena will spread from pharmacy to medicine, and wait times will skyrocket. Have you ever been to a VA? Our veterans have to wait months, even years for simple procedures. 

Health care is not a right. You do not have a right to my services. We can argue that you have the right to access but health care is not a right. Believing health care is a right is actually immoral. 

10 hours ago, Ian Kinsler said:

The US does spend a lot on healthcare and UHC will triple that number. Too much paperwork not being an issue you think should be brought up just shows how little you understand about this issue. When the government decides to get involved in anything, they spend money. There are a lot of people who demand that the money be spent appropriately. This means pay cuts for physicians, nurses, and pharmacists, the prior authorization phenomena will spread from pharmacy to medicine, and wait times will skyrocket. Have you ever been to a VA? Our veterans have to wait months, even years for simple procedures. 

Health care is not a right. You do not have a right to my services. We can argue that you have the right to access but health care is not a right. Believing health care is a right is actually immoral. 

I've never been to VA and don't need to in order to understand universal health care... I'm from Canada lol. You have yet to prove why paperwork is an issue we should consider. Money should be spent appropriately and the budget would determine it. Physicians could just as easily not get pay cuts if the US decided to spend less on their military budget lol.

Fair enough, then we will agree the right to access health care should be a right. Either way I think the fear of abuse and discrimination of patients is a bit far fetched when considering health care a human right. There could just as easily be laws put in place for prevention of such abuse/discrimination.

Ian  who is afraid that he might get a paycut once people realize he overcharges  them is arguing with people who live in a country with single payer that they don't understand single payer lol. Also the fact he tried to bring up the same argument rand Paul did tha he government is going to force him to work on people makes  me cringe 

Health care is a privilege, not a right. You are guaranteed two things in life, you are going to pay taxes, and you are going to die. Feel grateful you get anything else. Life simply isn't fair and was never meant to be.

I personally do not care about other people. I've never been on board with ACA due to seeing how it actually works in the real world with my family / friends.

I don't think they can make Universal Healthcare cheap here in the states. I'd rather have multiple private providers compete than have the government control anything.

Providing for everyone is just not cheap. Sure in a perfect society this could all work, but this isn't a perfect society, and won't work.

Just now, Gashbell said:

Health care is a privilege, not a right. You are guaranteed two things in life, you are going to pay taxes, and you are going to die. Feel grateful you get anything else. Life simply isn't fair and was never meant to be.

I personally do not care about other people. I've never been on board with ACA seeing how it personally effects the people around me and my family included.

I don't think they can make Universal Healthcare cheap here in the states. I'd rather have multiple private providers compete than have the government control anything.

Providing for everyone is just not cheap. Sure in a perfect society this could all work, but this isn't a perfect society, and won't work.

Wow, you must be just loads of fun at parties

r/iamverysmart