Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trav

Free Speech

I love the notion that if you become violent then you're automatically worse than the people calling for a race war and cultural genocide. "Oh but beerman what about being the bigger man??" Fuck all of that. While the government can't stop you from saying stupid shit a mob if people sure the fuck can. I saw a man get decked on the bus once because he was yelling at and belittling a passenger. I gave a hard "hell yeah" before he got thrown off the bus. 

Sometimes we shouldn't have to tolerate this kind of extremist shit. 

Just now, Beerman said:

I love the notion that if you become violent then you're automatically worse than the people calling for a race war and cultural genocide. "Oh but beerman what about being the bigger man??" Fuck all of that. While the government can't stop you from saying stupid shit a mob if people sure the fuck can. I saw a man get decked on the bus once because he was yelling at and belittling a passenger. I gave a hard "hell yeah" before he got thrown off the bus. 

Sometimes we shouldn't have to tolerate this kind of extremist shit. 

You don't have to tolerate it but just know you'll be committing a crime when doing so.

Also using facts and logic to combat extremism work great in an ideal world. However in our day and age, with all the information and misinformation, no one gives a shit about the truth and facts don't hold any weight. Debating a white supremacist to try and prove why they're wrong would work as effectively as Fugner being a Staff Calendar.

(sorry fugner i just needed a meme for the tail end of my post)

Just now, Beerman said:

Well no shit it's still illegal. Nobody is asking to make punching somebody with a differing fucked up opinion legal. 

http://www.bostonglobe.com/rw//Boston/2011-2020/WebGraphics/Metro/BostonGlobe.com/2017/01/20punch/punch.gif

Swed made some good points though. This for instance didn't solve anything but made him think his opinions were valid. I'm certain Richard Spencer also thinks he's a bad ass now because of it. I wouldn't say the dude who punched him is automatically worse but imo he sunk to his level. Do I find entertainment and pleasure in seeing a white supremacist get punched in the face? Of course... I'm a human being after all.

(image embedding sux @fontaine)

Just now, Beerman said:

Well no shit it's still illegal. Nobody is asking to make punching somebody with a differing fucked up opinion legal. 

It would sure make my life easier.

In other interesting news:

GoDaddy decides to put an end to hosting the neo-Nazi website 'The Daily Stormer'

http://bnonews.com/news/index.php/news/id6332

Last month they didn't have an issue with it and even defended their decision to provide service to them:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/are-white-supremacist-sites-morally-offensive-to-godaddy

I guess after that dumbass ran someone else over with their car GoDaddy saw the business they would lose by keeping them.

Just out of curiosity: if you're spouting Nazi shit in a Starbucks, does Starbucks have the right to ask you to leave their business?

Just now, Travesty said:

In other interesting news:

GoDaddy decides to put an end to hosting the neo-Nazi website 'The Daily Stormer'

http://bnonews.com/news/index.php/news/id6332

Last month they didn't have an issue with it and even defended their decision to provide service to them:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/are-white-supremacist-sites-morally-offensive-to-godaddy

I guess after that dumbass ran someone else over with their car GoDaddy saw the business they would lose by keeping them.

Just out of curiosity: if you're spouting Nazi shit in a Starbucks, does Starbucks have the right to ask you to leave their business?

Starbucks can kick you out for literally any reason.  

Just now, Beerman said:

When does it become discrimination?

Just now, Travesty said:

When does it become discrimination?

It depends... did you order a latte or a superdoopercockachino?

Just now, Beerman said:

Yes, I know this true because I worked for Starbucks. If you're causing a scene, they can ask you to leave. Don't mix up first amendment right with people not wanting to listen to the bullshit you spout. Everyone has the right to say what they believe in. But they aren't safe from repercussions of their words or actions. If you become a liability for a business, then you can be fired. Unless you can prove it's for whatever reason, they could just slap on it "at will employee" and that'd be the end of it

Now if we're thinking more broadly and on the internet:

Can Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. limit the amount of views you get to your website/posts if they're deemed socially unacceptable?

Conspirators and the Alt-Right will mention that an election can be influenced due to the power these corporations have by silencing unpopular beliefs and opinions. We've seen Twitter and Facebook ban islamic extremist accounts, I wonder if they'll do the same with white supremacists in the future.

These are issues with 'the bubble' though, everyone only sees the opinion they want to see due to the nature of how Google, Facebook and Twitter operate and learn more about you. It's very hard to change someone's opinion when their bubble is only giving them one sided information. It is quite obvious that it is not simply just Main Stream Media causing these concerns.

Just now, Travesty said:

Now if we're thinking more broadly and on the internet:

Can Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. limit the amount of views you get to your website/posts if they're deemed socially unacceptable?

Conspirators and the Alt-Right will mention that an election can be influenced due to the power these corporations have by silencing unpopular beliefs and opinions. We've seen Twitter and Facebook ban islamic extremist accounts, I wonder if they'll do the same with white supremacists in the future.

These are issues with 'the bubble' though, everyone only sees the opinion they want to see due to the nature of how Google, Facebook and Twitter operate and learn more about you. It's very hard to change someone's opinion when their bubble is only giving them one sided information. It is quite obvious that it is not simply just Main Stream Media causing these concerns.

Yes. At any time Twitter can remove trumps account too if they wanted. They have no legal obligation.

Just now, Beerman said:

Yes. At any time Twitter can remove trumps account too if they wanted. They have no legal obligation.

Think about if/when net neutrality dies, an Internet Service Provider could refuse service to view/host these websites.

Just now, Travesty said:

Think about if/when net neutrality dies, an Internet Service Provider could refuse service to view/host these websites.

In an ideal world, a new competing service would pop-up to give people what they want. But with all the dickery that are ISPs, high barrier to entry, laws, and protections, it isn't viable in this current state. They're in a nice cushy safe space.

Edit: Also

17 hours ago, gemma said:

will edit reply after this overwatch game

NS0N1yc.jpg

Just now, B-cock #1 said:

In an ideal world, a new competing service would pop-up to give people what they want. But with all the dickery that are ISPs, high barrier to entry, laws, and protections, it isn't viable in this current state. They're in a nice cushy safe space.

Edit: Also

NS0N1yc.jpg

Don't think you're getting a reply from her anytime soon. She gone.

19 hours ago, gemma said:

if you don't think nazis should be fucking curb stomped, fuck off

I was actually insinuating that the "nazi's" were the ones curb-stomping but curb-stomping is generally a bad thing so it really shouldn't happen to anyone, y'know?

If you hate "nazi's" with linear and tunnel-vision passion (sound familiar?)... doesn't that make you an anti-nazi nazi? :thinking:

Oh and illegal immigration is 100% a bad thing to happen to the American workforce, for both legal and illegal workers. For legal workers, this undermines their pay and status. If a company can find an illegal worker to work twice as hard for you, for half as much, that's a negative impact to our workforce. For illegal workers, they are denied benefits and standard living wages, requiring them to usually work "sweatshop" type of jobs, diminishing their positive impact to their families and their work skills.

Just now, Moose said:

Tell me she rage quit the clan because she can't deal with our "narrow mindedness" and felt like she was in a hostile environment.

Just now, Moose said:

Water has gone afk too after proving his "logic" wrong LUL

Just now, Travesty said:

Yes because it wouldn't be against the law. 

Just now, Sith said:

:kms:

Should have known the Grammar Nazi of the clan was going to quote me on my typo!

Just now, Travesty said:

Should have known the Grammar Nazi of the clan was going to quote me on my typo!

Did you just call me a fucking nazi you degenerate, throw your head on some concrete, I'll be there in 15 mins

Just now, Sith said:

Did you just call me a fucking nazi you degenerate, throw your head on some concrete, I'll be there in 15 mins

Fuck this shit. I'm out. This is not a safe space for me to discuss my beliefs and views! I FEEL THREATENED.