Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get Schwifty

Racism

2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I grew up with the word (no hard -er) replacing pronouns like bro or dude, sometimes even people. Hell, you can walk through the hallways of my college and hear someone say it but noone will bat an eye cause everyone and anyone will understand the context that the person saying it is simply replacing a pronoun with no ill intent. Consider the example of using "hey guys" to address a group of girls. Some might raise an eyebrow but everyone knows what you mean -- you're simply addressing a group. The same thing applies with ****as (no hard -er, that's actually racist bro), the only difference is that the latter has a historical connotation of being derogatory.

My philosophy course comes to mind as it touched on the evolution of words and their meanings. Restricting the word locks it meaning in place when it could instead evolve to move past it; "bad" words like bitch and asshole are good examples of "!??! you can't say that!" -> "k." in the past 10-20 years. Honestly, I feel like ****as has evolved past its derogatory roots and taken its spot as simply a synonym for they, bro, dudes, guys, etc.

41 minutes ago, vexer said:

With the players coming in now its hard to disperse because the word is said on a constant basis at their schools (not the hard ER) by almost every ethnic and race in the school, its the older generations that honestly get more upset over the word than anything, you can walk through my college or my high school and its just a common term for approaching your friend white, black, Asian ,  middle eastern it doesn't matter now saying it with a hard ER is a completely different story because that is a solid term for being racist.

Times are changing and people are caring less.

The issue with allowing the non -er versions of it is that then retards will think its okay to then go all out racists and start spamming all versions of it. Personally the word itself doesnt bother me because just like you rootbeer I've grown up with just about everyone using it around their friends. You can either ban it all or allow it all.

3 hours ago, Beerman said:

I wasn't talking about soft a. I mean what context does somebody habe to use hard r

Look I event told you I come from the George Carlin thought group for this and you can use any word you want and it all about the intent behind it. If I went up to my black buddy and slapped hands and said "Hey my N****" or "Whats good my N*****" Their is absolutely no racist intents behind it. Other hand if I was chasing someone around with a pitch fork or chasing them with a knife calling them that their would be a greater argument for racism. My Point is you can't have a double standard for a word or anything depending on who it is.

Just now, Travesty said:

ITT white people discussing what's racist and what's not

We're not oppressed enough to talk about racism. You need at least 5 oppression points to talk about it. 

Here's always been my thinking on this subject. So, we can't use the N word because of it (to some) being "racist", however people are still okay to say "fag", "faggot", "Jewish", and etc. I feel that our global rule of "Respect all players at all times or face punishment on the administrators discretion" should pretty much cover it. I don't feel any word/words out there shouldn't be allowed, it's just if someone is using those words in order to degrade another player, then they should be dealt with accordingly.

I've always said  soft a. Sure go for it. But dropping hard R is over the line because it's never used in a positive context in america. People don't go up to people calling it other hard R n word. That's what the argument was @water.exe

7 hours ago, Beerman said:

Lol at the two people desperately trying to make excuses for their need and desire to spew the N word. @water.exe and @ATG_AGENT are on your side too. Apparently you can say the N word with the hard R if you hear black people using it.

Edgy. 

In what context do you feel the need to call somebody the N word?

Funny -  That wasn't even how the conversation went .

Ultimately it does boil down to context now, because the word has evolved passed what it was before. I told you i lived with and around many black people. The word is used non-stop all the time in all  variations. Personally i believe someone like you, who isn't part of the culture, know of the situation, or been personally around the entire culture itself ( When i asked you if you lived / grew up / been around / etc you said no. You are outside said "Bubble" ) shouldn't even have a comment at all about the word and how its used for other people.

What i find hilarious is people - example white,  decide whats racist for other people and then force it onto others.  If you think its racist, don't use it. That's perfectly fine, good on you. But don't push your views, especially if there limited, on other people. ( This can be used / said to a lot of people in the world )

Ultimate it comes down to this. Intent. Context. The word is used. The "Target" even uses the word in all forms. The word  has grown beyond and shifted into something now good. Stop holding onto the past.

If people want to say it, and they do say it - then by all means allow them. They are saying it not in old form, but the new form. If you cant see this or understand that, then that's fine. Just don't use the word.

In case you are wondering, as some might be reading this - i don't say it. Its not in my vocabulary. Its not part of me, But the word is for many others and i believe they can use it as much as they want.

EDIT

Back to the main question of this thread as it was derailed: According to sG rules the word would be considered racist and warn/kick rule would start. As well as them trying to loophole.

From what I noticed it's only racist if it's against African Americans, maybe due to all the media coverage of black lives matter? But if it's against Caucasians, Native Americans, Asians, etc... then it's not racist. I use "cracker" from time to time and no one seems to give a fuck.

On 9/20/2017 at 4:53 PM, ATG_AGENT said:

But don't push your views, especially if there limited, on other people. ( This can be used / said to a lot of people in the world )

Yeah, y'all. Don't push your opinions on others! They should be free to push their oppressive views on minority groups and use language that has historically functioned to subjugate marginalized communities for centuries!

Also, *they're, you rube. 

The word  has grown beyond and shifted into something now good. 

Reclaiming slurs and toxic language is for the targeted people to do, not anyone else.  Use by others, especially the oppressive class, erases the power of the marginalized group to form their own identity with it and simply reaffirms its initial harmful meaning, regardless of intent. 

In an online community mostly made of of angsty teenage boys, with online presences where background, identity, and race are otherwise unknown, a blanket ban on toxic language targeting marginalized people is a effective and efficient step to preventing a cesspool of shitheads. It certainly beats trying to make each person doxx themselves to explain the context and function of the language in question, and then leave a case by case judgement regarding the delicate nature of language, oppression, and identity of its appropriateness in the hands of a bunch of people I wouldn't trust to pick out clean underwear. 

Stop holding onto the past.

History and education. Who needs it, amirite?

On 9/21/2017 at 12:29 PM, B-cock #1 said:

From what I noticed it's only racist if it's against African Americans, maybe due to all the media coverage of black lives matter? But if it's against Caucasians, Native Americans, Asians, etc... then it's not racist. I use "cracker" from time to time and no one seems to give a fuck.

1. Don't use the N-word
2. Don't use the N-word
3. Using it has always been racist. It didn't suddenly become racist due to a social movement to fight racism.
4. Saying it is racist. Saying it as an insult, regardless of who it's directed against, is even more racist. You're claiming being this racialized term referring to black people is a bad thing.
5. White people aren't oppressed due to race. Say cracker all day long if it makes you happy.

Just now, Goldentongue said:

1. Don't use the N-word
2. Don't use the N-word
3. Using it has always been racist. It didn't suddenly become racist due to a social movement to fight racism.
4. Saying it is racist. Saying it as an insult, regardless of who it's directed against, is even more racist. You're claiming being this racialized term referring to black people is a bad thing.
5. White people aren't oppressed due to race. Say cracker all day long if it makes you happy.

Thanks for proving my point, talking about racism a lot people only assume it's about black people. Never did I say anything about "the n-word" or anything like that, racism isn't an African American only thing.

Also, are you one of those people that believe that white people can't be racially discriminated against?

Just now, B-cock #1 said:

Thanks for proving my point, talking about racism a lot people only assume it's about black people. Never did I say anything about "the n-word" or anything like that, racism isn't an African American only thing.

... This entire page has been a discussion about the N-word specifically. If you decided to just ramble to the abyss about racism in general without trying to use the context of the conversation, that you're fault for being shit at communicating, not anyone else. It doesn't prove any sort of point you think you're capable of making.

Yes, other minority groups can experience racism, and if that's not being addressed, then that's a failure by staff.

Also, are you one of those people that believe that white people can't be racially discriminated against?

Lol. Do you think they can?

... This entire page has been a discussion about the N-word specifically. If you decided to just ramble to the abyss about racism in general without trying to use the context of the conversation, that you're fault for being shit at communicating, not anyone else. It doesn't prove any sort of point you think you're capable of making.

Oh, I don't remember quoting anyone about the topic of "the n-word", I also thought this was a thread about racism, not just African Americans. No where did the OP mention anything about African-Americans or any other race, maybe you should consider forum context.

Also, are you telling me that if a white kid goes to an inner-city where 90% is African-American he won't get any grief from other students just for being white? What about prison? Are you saying white people are the only ones judging based on skin? If you honestly think that, then I can't see much point in arguing with you anymore.

Oh, I don't remember quoting anyone about the topic of "the n-word", I also thought this was a thread about racism, not just African Americans. No where did the OP mention anything about African-Americans or any other race, maybe you should consider forum context.

Just throwing your thoughts to the wind then, not knowing what the fuck is going on in the conversation. Alright.

Also, are you telling me that if a white kid goes to an inner-city where 90% is African-American he won't get any grief from other students just for being white? What about prison? Are you saying white people are the only ones judging based on skin? If you honestly think that, then I can't see much point in arguing with you anymore.

Yes a white person can experience prejudice based on skin in very specific micro-contexts. Yet even in these contexts there's no structure, or history, of racial discrimination to give an individual's prejudice any sort of systemic power against a white person. Terms like "cracker" haven't been used to keep white people down. At most they've just been used to annoy them.

Show me on the doll where the mean people called you a "white devil".

9 hours ago, Goldentongue said:

Just throwing your thoughts to the wind then, not knowing what the fuck is going on in the conversation. Alright.

Yes a white person can experience prejudice based on skin in very specific micro-contexts. Yet even in these contexts there's no structure, or history, of racial discrimination to give an individual's prejudice any sort of systemic power against a white person. Terms like "cracker" haven't been used to keep white people down. At most they've just been used to annoy them.

Show me on the doll where the mean people called you a "white devil".

You probably wont find the example you are looking for in the US for that type of example you would have to look over to African countries to find examples of racism against white people. I remember my old eve online corp leader telling me about living in south africa and the native africans hated every white person there.

Just now, water.exe said:

You probably wont find the example you are looking for in the US for that type of example you would have to look over to African countries to find examples of racism against white people. I remember my old eve online corp leader telling me about living in south africa and the native africans hated every white person there.

Well, the white colonial minority population did oppress the black majority for decades through apartheid so I'd have to say a) the power structure is still not anti-white and b) animosity is somewhat justified. 

11 hours ago, Goldentongue said:

Yeah, y'all. Don't push your opinions on others! They should be free to push their oppressive views on minority groups and use language that has historically functioned to subjugate marginalized communities for centuries!

Also, *they're, you rube. 

Reclaiming slurs and toxic language is for the targeted people to do, not anyone else.  Use by others, especially the oppressive class, erases the power of the marginalized group to form their own identity with it and simply reaffirms its initial harmful meaning, regardless of intent. 

In an online community mostly made of of angsty teenage boys, with online presences where background, identity, and race are otherwise unknown, a blanket ban on toxic language targeting marginalized people is a effective and efficient step to preventing a cesspool of shitheads. It certainly beats trying to make each person doxx themselves to explain the context and function of the language in question, and then leave a case by case judgement regarding the delicate nature of language, oppression, and identity of its appropriateness in the hands of a bunch of people I wouldn't trust to pick out clean underwear. 

History and education. Who needs it, amirite?

"In an online community mostly made of of angsty teenage boys, with online presences where background, identity, and race are otherwise unknown, a blanket ban on toxic language targeting marginalized people is a effective and efficient step to preventing a cesspool of shitheads. It certainly beats trying to make each person doxx themselves to explain the context and function of the language in question, and then leave a case by case judgement regarding the delicate nature of language, oppression, and identity of its appropriateness in the hands of a bunch of people I wouldn't trust to pick out clean underwear. "

Conidering my entire post had nothing to do with the servers views on racism(Which at the very end of the post i even stated what the views of sG are), was was directed towards beerman and our convo we had during a team speak conversation( I thought it was obveous looking at it, even when i said this was all off topic, but ok my fault on that.)

"Yeah, y'all. Don't push your opinions on others! They should be free to push their oppressive views on minority groups and use language that has historically functioned to subjugate marginalized communities for centuries!"

Read the first line as it was directed towards our conversation, but sure take the one snippet directed at him and use it to fit how you wish it would be saying.

Seeing as it may not have been clear from the start since @Beerman pulled me into this conversation out of nowhere and i only responded to him about our older conversation - i'll re-state a few things. The entire post was directed to beerman. I stated the clans views on the OP's Question about racism at the end of the post to stay on top. Beerman was saying how the use of the N word(In the "Real world" is racist in of itself (More particularity if it had a R) I was stating that it doesnt make it inherently racist, And that it has more to do with intent and context - And for this case in particular that R is used, "even by the targeted people." Anyways - the rest of my post should be well and clear with this small but not full background of the convo.

If you still want to take small bits and make your stawman and hyperbolic replies feel free - as i have nothing to do with, nor do i want to be apart of this conversation beyond what beerman and i spoke.

5 minutes ago, Goldentongue said:

Well, the white colonial minority population did oppress the black majority for decades through apartheid so I'd have to say a) the power structure is still not anti-white and b) animosity is somewhat justified. 

Didn't Africans sell other Africans as slaves though? So it's okay to be racist towards someone that took no part in racist activity, because someone of their skin color did in the past? Okay.

1 hour ago, ATG_AGENT said:

Conidering

Speaking of ambiguous dog whistle terms....

1 hour ago, B-cock #1 said:

Didn't Africans sell other Africans as slaves though? So it's okay to be racist towards someone that took no part in racist activity, because someone of their skin color did in the past? Okay.

The hamsters in your head must be working on full blast today. 
Yeah, it is justified to have anger and resentment towards people who benefit from and proliferate racial subjugation. Anti-black racism isn't dead when it comes to structural power in South Africa. Their anger towards white people isn't "racism". It's not a belief in the inherent inferiority of a race propagated by systemic inequality. It's a rejection of past and present injustice.

Since you're gonna try to make the "but Africans sold slaves too" argument as though that somehow justifies the enormity of the European slave trade, let's just get a few things you seem likely to be one self induced gag reflex away from vomiting up out of the way now:
1. Nobody gives a shit if you have black friends. You can still be racist.
2. No, it's not racism if they can say the N word but you can't.
3. No, the Irish were not slaves in America. 

4. Yes, you can still be racist if you flop your dick around to pics of Beyonce.
5. No, anti-racist activists movements aren't "just as bad" as white supremacist hate groups.
6. Yes, there are plenty of people of color who would disagree with a lot of what I've said, claim racism doesn't exist in America, etc. While they should be allowed to have their own voice and not be silenced, if it runs contrary to the positions of a majority of people in communities of color demonstrating tangible inequality, it is racism for a white person to use those arguments to undermine calls for justice and equality. 

The forums are telling me "New content begins here" but I'm not seeing anything original.

The forums told me "new content here" but all I see is the same self-righteous SJW attitude of "follow what I preach and not what I do"

Just now, water.exe said:

The forums told me "new content here" but all I see is the same self-righteous SJW attitude of "follow what I preach and not what I do"

lol you tried

@B-cock #1 you know you're doing great when water decides to take up the mantle for ya.