Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get Schwifty

Racism

Can you please describe what counts as racism please. People just don't quite seem to understand what counts as racism. Is there an actual rule somewhere on here that elaborates what racism is and isn't? If so please link it. Itd be greatly appreciated

Use common sense, if you think that someone is making racist comments you should warn>kick>ban or post it here on the forums with proof and steamid.

The N-word and loopholing of the n-word also counts as racism.

9 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Use common sense, if you think that someone is making racist comments you should warn>kick>ban or post it here on the forums with proof and steamid.

This is why I love you.

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

And any variation of the n word is counted as racism also --> ShitER is just as bad as ShittA   If you need more clarification then message one of us.

Just for input, calling someone a monkey, ape, or gorilla is not racist. These are common gaming terms for people who don't know how to play the game or play the game poorly.

When you put a skin color before these terms, the intent to call someone bad is now seen as intent to be racist toward another person whether that was what you wanted to do or not.

Additionally, using racial terms toward people the term doesn't apply to, even if they're your friend, doesn't matter because now the whole server just heard you call someone a black monkey and most of them will likely not know if that person you applied the term to is your friend or not and attempt to get you punished for breaking the racism rule.

Com·mon Sense

Noun

Good sense and sound judgment in practical matters.

"Use your common sense"

Synonyms: good sense, sense, native wit, sensibleness, judgment, levelheadedness, prudence, discernment, canniness, astuteness, shrewdness, wisdom, insight, perception, perspicacity; More

Funny how something called common sense is actually not so common nowadays. If it were, we wouldn't need a racism rule and we'd all just get along.

I also feel like Antisemitism is racist, as the Jewish are as much a religious group, as they are an ethnic and cultural group. However many people, even some in SG, don't seem to agree with me on that. Maybe it's because I haven't tried looking hard enough for proper stances by people, or maybe people are just kind of cool with Antisemitism, whatever it may be, antisemitism is still a form of racism when you get deep down to it, and needs to be punished. 

8 hours ago, Zachmanman said:

we can't use "niggardly" anymore apparently

that would be because of the low level of education of our staff. Sadly, they're idiots.   Speaking of which, i actually met an idiot who thought renege (pronounced renig) was a racist term from the early days of slavery. too bad that shit is latin from the 16th century. people are so fucking stupid.

I've always only kicked for any variation of the N word, and that's it.

If someone is directing negative comments to someone specifically, that is a handled differently.

20 hours ago, driz said:

that would be because of the low level of education of our staff. Sadly, they're idiots.   Speaking of which, i actually met an idiot who thought renege (pronounced renig) was a racist term from the early days of slavery. too bad that shit is latin from the 16th century. people are so fucking stupid.

Educated people are generally aware what coded language is and how words can be used dog-whistles to carry connotations something outside their literal definition. They generally don't use the word "niggardly" anymore for the same reason kids aren't named "Hitler" these days and toothbrush mustaches have been out of style since 1945.

We all know people online start giggling and feel so clever when they use words that are coincidentally etymological similar to "nigger". Because it's a way of making racially charged comments in a way that can't literally be called out as racist. There's only so many reasons why people would be reluctant to willfully ignore that.

The word niggardly had definitely been used in the last 20 years, the cessation of its use was due to uneducated blacks filling hr reports because.... They were ignorant.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, driz said:

The word niggardly had definitely been used in the last 20 years, the cessation of its use was due to uneducated blacks filling hr reports because.... They were ignorant.

You're missing the point. 

6 hours ago, JFK said:

Educated people are generally aware what coded language is and how words can be used dog-whistles to carry connotations something outside their literal definition. They generally don't use the word "niggardly" anymore for the same reason kids aren't named "Hitler" these days and toothbrush mustaches have been out of style since 1945.

We all know people online start giggling and feel so clever when they use words that are coincidentally etymological similar to "nigger". Because it's a way of making racially charged comments in a way that can't literally be called out as racist. There's only so many reasons why people would be reluctant to willfully ignore that.

I dont think people are reluctant to willfully ignore this. I think alot of people just dont care. 

You're missing the point. 
Fuck off™

the point is, you can't ban purely because of the word, you have to consider context.

Just now, Travesty said:

Agreed, I feel like a lot of the difficulty with 'figuring shit out' is finding the line between people that need help realizing that 'whatever' is racist is racist and people that use it with purpose. There's different ways to tackle it in that regard. 

Reminds me of this clip, while not 100% relateable I feel it's of a similar vein.

That or I'm actually just retarded and missing the point of the conversation.

10 hours ago, fatb0y said:

I dont think people are reluctant to willfully ignore this. I think alot of people just dont care. 

It's probably a bit of both, though the former is the more malicious of the two.

Lol at the two people desperately trying to make excuses for their need and desire to spew the N word. @water.exe and @ATG_AGENT are on your side too. Apparently you can say the N word with the hard R if you hear black people using it.

Edgy. 

17 hours ago, driz said:

Fuck off

emoji2.png the point is, you can't ban purely because of the word, you have to consider context.

In what context do you feel the need to call somebody the N word?

54 minutes ago, Beerman said:

In what context do you feel the need to call somebody the N word?

I grew up with the word (no hard -er) replacing pronouns like bro or dude, sometimes even people. Hell, you can walk through the hallways of my college and hear someone say it but noone will bat an eye cause everyone and anyone will understand the context that the person saying it is simply replacing a pronoun with no ill intent. Consider the example of using "hey guys" to address a group of girls. Some might raise an eyebrow but everyone knows what you mean -- you're simply addressing a group. The same thing applies with ****as (no hard -er, that's actually racist bro), the only difference is that the latter has a historical connotation of being derogatory.

My philosophy course comes to mind as it touched on the evolution of words and their meanings. Restricting the word locks it meaning in place when it could instead evolve to move past it; "bad" words like bitch and asshole are good examples of "!??! you can't say that!" -> "k." in the past 10-20 years. Honestly, I feel like ****as has evolved past its derogatory roots and taken its spot as simply a synonym for they, bro, dudes, guys, etc.

With the players coming in now its hard to disperse because the word is said on a constant basis at their schools (not the hard ER) by almost every ethnic and race in the school, its the older generations that honestly get more upset over the word than anything, you can walk through my college or my high school and its just a common term for approaching your friend white, black, Asian ,  middle eastern it doesn't matter now saying it with a hard ER is a completely different story because that is a solid term for being racist.

Times are changing and people are caring less.