Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordinarygamer96

Death of Darth Maul

So this topic is only going to apply to star wars fans but the show  Star Wars Rebels just had a Maul vs kenobi finale. I thought it was amazing and a great end to his story. Not sure if the link will get taken down. Title is not a spoiler rlly BTW I'm pretty sure they advertised this as the final battle 

Just now, ChosenOne2000 said:

Have you not watched Episode I? Also, this cartoon version went out like a bitch...

The two shows revealed Maul survived being cut in half and used scrap metal to build himself robot legs (they're cooler than they sound) and he went on a revenge spree against kenobi and Palpatine but ended up getting alot of his family killed (maul has a family the sith took him from). Part of the point of this scene is that maul by this point sort of was defeated and had a death wish . He actually became a pretty decent character who fought both sides on the shows and occasionally worked with the jedi because he hates the sith for leaving him to die and murdering his family. Not expecting you to watch the show but if you're interested it's really good

Just now, Ordinarygamer96 said:

The two shows revealed Maul survived being cut in half and used scrap metal to build himself robot legs (they're cooler than they sound) 

I faintly remember that, mind you in my opinion they should have left him dead. How many people have died from falling in star wars(or fallen almost to their death) and they brought this guy back. Next they will bring back Han Solo some how magically. Don't get me wrong, I loved Han Solo as a character but they killed him. They should leave him dead, like they should have with Darth Maul.

Just now, Husky said:

I faintly remember that, mind you in my opinion they should have left him dead. How many people have died from falling in star wars(or fallen almost to their death) and they brought this guy back. Next they will bring back Han Solo some how magically. Don't get me wrong, I loved Han Solo as a character but they killed him. They should leave him dead, like they should have with Darth Maul.

Overall everyone I know who's watched the shows agrees maul became a better character after being brought back. He has a legitimate story and background now and had alot of cool fight scenes(this one can't be as good because he's nearly 60 at the time of this show). Maul survived because he's a force user and because he uses the dark side he was able to use all the hate he had for kenobi and the sith to keep his body going long enough for him to build new legs. Also if you read the old books they explained Boba fett survived his fall and the emperor's ghost possessed a clone body he made of himself and came back later in the books. Characters coming back from seeming death isn't new to star wars. Maul was a plot device that they made into a character by giving him a few story arcs in the shows.

Overall my favorite thing about this scene is the end when kenobi is holding him and maul asks if he's protecting the chosen one and says "he will avenge us" when kenobi says yes. This  I think is an awesome exchange because it shows that in the end maul and kenobi came to an understanding that while they were enemies they overall were both relics from the past that had lost everything to the sith and because of that had alot in common. Maul shows he's still not fully redeemed by hoping to be avenged but that he wants kenobi to succeed in protecting Luke. 

Wasn't much of a fight but I think it showed how it is really a fight of the mind with the force. The changing of their stances wasn't posturing or showing off but changing their style before the other even made a move. Like a chess game trying to play out ever possible scenario.  There was an epic battle going on but one the audience never saw. 

Just now, centran said:

Wasn't much of a fight but I think it showed how it is really a fight of the mind with the force. The changing of their stances wasn't posturing or showing off but changing their style before the other even made a move. Like a chess game trying to play out ever possible scenario.  There was an epic battle going on but one the audience never saw. 

I think an important thing to notice is how kenobi transitions from his fighting style he had when younger to a new one more similar to qui-gon Jin and new hope kenobi. He baited  maul by doing that. I overall thought the dialogue was the best part of the episode. Like I said above it was as if maul had a bit of a death wish and had lost his purpose. The fact he realized kenobi had a purpose when he hadnt for years probably affected him. I loved their exchange at the end

Also if you read the old books they explained Boba fett survived his fall and the emperor's ghost possessed a clone body he made of himself and came back later in the books. Characters coming back from seeming death isn't new to star wars. Maul was a plot device that they made into a character by giving him a few story arcs in the shows

It does suck that Disney made the books/graphic novels non-canon. Like if looked into the graphic novels you would see Han having 3 kids, one of them dying and the other turning to the dark side. There was a lot of interesting stories from the books and novels, yet they were given the boot being related to the main story. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Caedus - More on Han's son if you didn't know about him already. 

Just now, Timeassassin103 said:

It does suck that Disney made the books/graphic novels non-canon. Like if looked into the graphic novels you would see Han having 3 kids, one of them dying and the other turning to the dark side. There was a lot of interesting stories from the books and novels, yet they were given the boot being related to the main story. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Caedus - More on Han's son if you didn't know about him already. 

I've read a ton of the old EU and probably am such a huge fan of star wars because I loved the Vong War books. I definitely wish they made Kylo Ren more similar to Jacen/Caedus. I've heard rumors they might bring the Vong into the new Canon which I would love 

Just now, Timeassassin103 said:

If they bring in the Vong, then oh boy the entire galaxy would be in trouble. 

The new book that just came out drops a ton of hints about threats outside the galaxy. So I think the Vong have a pretty good chance of showing up either in the movies or books in the future. They probably will be a bit toned down from the self mutilating religiously extreme genocidal maniacs they are in the old EU but I hope they stay true to what made them great 

I normally don't wait Rebels because I've never been a big fan of it, however I really enjoyed the clip you shared of Maul's death. I honestly think that was one of the best light saber battles I've ever seen. Why? Because it's not as drawn out as they normally are, it was different, and you could tell how poorly Maul was attacking, which ultimately ended in his fate.

3 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

The two shows revealed Maul survived being cut in half and used scrap metal to build himself robot legs

I thought in Clone Wars Maul was somehow able to get like spider legs or something, and it wasn't later till Savage brought him to that one witch place or wherever, and then they brought back his sanity and made him metal legs.

Just now, Ironic said:

I thought in Clone Wars Maul was somehow able to get like spider legs or something, and it wasn't later till Savage brought him to that one witch place or wherever, and then they brought back his sanity and made him metal legs.

They were robot spider legs lol. It was kind of ridiculous but I guess they looked cool. I agree with your thoughts on the fight. I interpreted it as maul letting kenobi win but letting his anger out after so many years with nothing but his anger to keep him going. And now that he's found kenobi who still has a purpose he realizes that state he's in 

They literally already did this in the (now non-canon) comics :rolleyes:

And they did it better imo.

cymaul2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

They could've at least changed it up a bit. I didn't watch the clip because I still plan on entering Rebels a virgin, so I didn't want any spoilers (visually or plot-wise). In this comic Maul comes to Tatooine looking for Luke, who is an infant at the time, and runs in to Owen. He kicks the shit (literally) out of Owen and Kenobi shows up, always around Luke for protection. However in the end, Maul is kneeling dying, and Kenobi couldn't finish the job due to morality issues within himself. Luckily for Kenobi, Owen had no issues and blasts him in the face.

526771_384513124928392_603372475_n.jpg?o

Here's the comic in its entirety:

Spoiler

533177_384511954928509_1127254195_n.jpg?

562435_384512064928498_1034411690_n.jpg?

543348_384512171595154_1649122313_n.jpg?

401596_384512241595147_1985321606_n.jpg?

576497_384512348261803_128051545_n.jpg?o

319776_384512581595113_1289745438_n.jpg?

556223_384512641595107_577859374_n.jpg?o

385705_384512851595086_685428802_n.jpg?o

521492_384512938261744_1497996380_n.jpg?

150432_384513038261734_1280970993_n.jpg?

577058_384513218261716_1639418475_n.jpg?

Just now, Sith said:

They literally already did this in the (now non-canon) comics :rolleyes:

cymaul2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

They could've at least changed it up a bit. I didn't watch the clip because I still plan on entering Rebels a virgin, so I didn't want any spoilers (visually or plot-wise). In this comic Maul comes to Tatooine looking for Luke, who is an infant at the time, and runs in to Owen. He kicks the shit (literally) out of Owen and Kenobi shows up, always around Luke for protection. However in the end, Maul is kneeling dying, and Kenobi couldn't finish the job due to morality issues within himself. Luckily for Kenobi, Owen had no issues and blasts him in the face.

Here's the entire comic in its entirety:

Hide contents

533177_384511954928509_1127254195_n.jpg?

562435_384512064928498_1034411690_n.jpg?

543348_384512171595154_1649122313_n.jpg?

401596_384512241595147_1985321606_n.jpg?

576497_384512348261803_128051545_n.jpg?o

556223_384512641595107_577859374_n.jpg?o

385705_384512851595086_685428802_n.jpg?o

521492_384512938261744_1497996380_n.jpg?

150432_384513038261734_1280970993_n.jpg?

577058_384513218261716_1639418475_n.jpg?

Overall I liked the rebels depiction more. Much more emotional and much more  about the characters themselves than the action. Although that comic is cool

I like the stance swapping in Rebels though, that was pretty sweet. You know somethins 'boutta go down when Obi Wan swaps off his practiced defensive stance. The one he switches to was the offensive one in the Jedi Knights 2 if that means anything; it's been a while since I last read up on the different stances but in the game that one was a powerful & aggressive stance.

8 hours ago, Sith said:

What the frick is this, some sorta naruto sand-ninja technique?

Sick nasty page from the comic tho:

20 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I like the stance swapping in Rebels though, that was pretty sweet. You know somethins 'boutta go down when Obi Wan swaps off his practiced defensive stance. The one he switches to was the offensive one in the Jedi Knights 2 if that means anything; it's been a while since I last read up on the different stances but in the game that one was a powerful & aggressive stance.

The most important thing about the stances is the history behind them for the two characters. The aggressive stance kenobi switches to is the one Qui-Gon used when maul killed him. Notice the look in Maul's eyes when he see's kenobi switch.  Maul's thinking I've beaten this stance before. If you compare the two fights Maul dies trying to pull the same bash to the head he used to kill Jinn. Kenobi baited him and used soresu(The defensive stance) while putting on the show of using ataru. Only major star wars nerds caught it at the first viewing haha

This might be a incredibly stupid question, but I can't tell what wound Darth Maul received which killed him. I know this is a show on Disney so they can't have his head hacked off or anything, though all I saw was his light saber get sliced in half.

Just now, Moosin said:

This might be a incredibly stupid question, but I can't tell what wound Darth Maul received which killed him. I know this is a show on Disney so they can't have his head hacked off or anything, though all I saw was his light saber get sliced in half.

Cut through his lightsaber into his chest. They didn't bother showing because they wanted you to focus on their faces and what they were saying and not a wound

3 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

If you compare the two fights Maul dies trying to pull the same bash to the head he used to kill Jinn.

Oh I didn't actually notice that but yeah he uses the exact same overhead hilt-bash/block:

Looks like the only difference against Obi Wan was that Maul missed his block completely.

7 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Looks like the only difference against Obi Wan was that Maul missed his block completely.

Kenobi too good. I still think maul wanted  to lose but when he saw the fake opening instinct took over 

On 3/18/2017 at 1:14 PM, Timeassassin103 said:

If they bring in the Vong, then oh boy the entire galaxy would be in trouble. 

I would love to see a vongformed Coruscant!

I just started the legacy of the force series, the more I read the more annoyed I get with how Disney gave the EU the boot entirely :(