Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordinarygamer96

Ben Carson refers to slaves as "Immigrants"

Honestly I can't even understand this lol. 

"That's what America is about, a land of dreams and opportunity," Carson said. "There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great-grandsons, great-granddaughters, might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/03/06/ben-carson-calls-slaves-immigrants/98816752/

Just now, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Honestly I can't even understand this lol. 

"That's what America is about, a land of dreams and opportunity," Carson said. "There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great-grandsons, great-granddaughters, might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/03/06/ben-carson-calls-slaves-immigrants/98816752/

Well he isn't completely wrong. Some were tricked so I guess kinda immigrants????  nah, That is more just twisting things. Man he is a dumb ass and there are even worse ones now in power. Thanks Trump!

Just now, centran said:

Well he isn't completely wrong. Some were tricked so I guess kinda immigrants????  nah, That is more just twisting things. Man he is a dumb ass and there are even worse ones now in power. Thanks Trump!

Dr. Carson is eccentric, but he's not dumb. Although I despise anyone or any history book that says Africans "immigrated" or "came to America". It's more sinister that that brah...

Just now, waffles said:

It amazes me sometimes that some of the most talented minds can say the wackiest things.  

Lets not forget that he's a creationist who believes the pyramids were built by Joseph to store grain.The guy is a loony toon

Just now, waffles said:

It amazes me sometimes that some of the most talented minds can say the wackiest things.  

Maybe it's just cause they are good at memorizing? But that isn't the case with Carson. He has developed new medical techniques so he can apply and adapt his knowledge. This is why it baffles me so much that someone like that can just throw out all the other sciences. IDK, maybe he is a super genius and playing everyone is some master plan of his.

Lets not forget that he's a creationist who believes the pyramids were built by Joseph to store grain.The guy is a loony toon

And compares marriage equality to bestiality

And says he isn't a highly religious person but still believes God saved him in a car crash and sent an angel to tutor him in his sleep and cured him from a mental disorder.

And stabbed a guy.

And can't remember the fact he ran for president.

Well up until his retirement a couple years ago he was one of the most accomplished neurosurgeons  of his time.  He should have just stick to brain surgery.

Just now, waffles said:

Well up until his retirement a couple years ago he was one of the most accomplished neurosurgeons  of his time.  He should have just stick to brain surgery.

Hes always been a wack. Politics just gave him a platform to show it

Just now, Moosin said:

And stabbed a guy.

The funny thing about that story is that he probably never stabbed anyone after all. 

When his campaign was pressed about it, they were in the awkward position on insisting that he stabbed a guy when he was 14. I guess it goes against the whole "Benny here was a violent no good thug up until he found Jesus." story he was trying to push.

Carson further proves that being a genius in one area doesn't always translate to having intelligence in other areas.

ed0701d83d5a440ba8fabd851757175c.png

Definitely very poor choice of words. I mean, he isn't technically wrong by the fact that some slaves were being forced to come over here and were forced to become an immigrant here, but it definitely wasn't their choice to come here. Involuntary immigrants is what they'd be considered.

Just now, Ironic said:

ed0701d83d5a440ba8fabd851757175c.png

Definitely very poor choice of words. I mean, he isn't technically wrong by the fact that some slaves were being forced to come over here and were forced to become an immigrant here, but it definitely wasn't their choice to come here. Involuntary immigrants is what they'd be considered.

The mental gymnastics you go through to defend trumps people lol. He also implied they were paid by saying they "worked harder for less" and then went on to try connecting slaves to the American dream. The entire statement was cancer 

The mental gymnastics you go through to defend trumps people lol. He also implied they were paid by saying they "worked harder for less" and then went on to try connecting slaves to the American dream. The entire statement was cancer 

A simple google search can tell you what the definition of a immigrant is. It's anyone that resideds in a country, that was not born in that country. So yes, this could apply to slaves that were forced to come here. 

I agree the whole statement was cancer and shouldn't have been used as an example to prove the "American dream", but no he wasn't wrong in the fact that some slaves were forced to become immigrants here.

Just now, Ironic said:

A simple google search can tell you what the definition of a immigrant is. It's anyone that resideds in a country, that was not born in that country. So yes, this could apply to slaves that were forced to come here. 

I agree the whole statement was cancer and shouldn't have been used as an example to prove the "American dream", but no he wasn't wrong in the fact that some slaves were forced to become immigrants here.

You ignored my point about him implying slaves were paid. While the definition technically fits academically the word immigrant is usually used to mean someone who came voluntary. Someone with the education he has should have understood that what he was saying was asinine. But this is also the same guy who tried to rewrite Egyptian history. It reminds me of the time Texas got in trouble  because the rednecks down there changed the word slaves to workers in the history textbooks 

You ignored my point about him implying slaves were paid. While the definition technically fits academically the word immigrant is usually used to mean someone who care voluntary. Someone with the education he has should have understood that what he was saying was asinine. But this is also the same guy who tried to rewrite Egyptian history 

JvfQBcu.png

Trying to disarm the triggered uneducated

While the definition technically fits academically the word immigrant is usually used to mean someone who came voluntary.

Just now, Ironic said:

Involuntary immigrants is what they'd be considered.

Someone with the education he has should have understood that what he was saying was asinine.

Just now, Ironic said:

I feel like at times you don't even read what I actually type out lol.

You ignored my point about him implying slaves were paid.

I will admit that was my bad, forgot to respond to that. 

Yes, some slaves were actually paid, especially if they worked overtime. I don't know if you know this or not. Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me though.

Just now, Ironic said:

Yes, some slaves were actually paid, especially if they worked overtime. I don't know if you know this or not. Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me though.

Yes some. But the wording implies he meant all. When he was saying this I doubt he was thinking of obscure and uncommon historical occurrences. I'm a history major who's had to write papers on the slave trade. If I tried to word anything like he did I'd lose a fuck ton of points for twisting history like he did.he's already shown a poor grasp of history with his Egyptian comments.

Just wanna say that Carson never specified slave. Also, being a slave doesn't mean they immigrated here and there were Africans who immigrated to the US who weren't actually slaves. Too many people trying to pull stories from a sentence, chill tf out, we all know our government is stupid, step off their dicks.

You ignored my point about him implying slaves were paid. While the definition technically fits academically the word immigrant is usually used to mean someone who came voluntary. Someone with the education he has should have understood that what he was saying was asinine. But this is also the same guy who tried to rewrite Egyptian history. It reminds me of the time Texas got in trouble  because the rednecks down there changed the word slaves to workers in the history textbooks 

worked even longer, even harder for less.

Is $0/hr less than $7.25/hr (or w/e min wage is)?

Not trying to argue about his statement sounding ignorant or poor wording choices. But working for free is working for less.

Just now, Face said:

worked even longer, even harder for less.

Is $0/hr less than $7.25/hr (or w/e min wage is)?

Not trying to argue about his statement sounding ignorant or poor wording choices. But working for free is working for less.

The word less implies you have something. Otherwise he'd have used the word nothing. 

@Sith tell me who else came to America in the bottom of slave ships?