Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gca

should laws on alcohal/tobacoo be increased/lessened based on how they ruin peoples lives

Heyo! So let's hit alcohol first, alcohol is one of the most used and abused substances in the world, even though most countries have laws to restrict it. World wide, it leads up to over 88 million deaths each year. Alcohol is responsible for the deaths of one in ten adults, causes 31% of reported driving related fatalities, and is the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. Exessive drinking alone can cause death by alcohol poisoning. Alcohol can change a person's personality, causing them to have unpredictable mood swings and attempts at lashing out. Among pregnant women, it causes birth deffects among the child and can also cause the child to have alcohol cravings as well.

More Alcohol related health facts from the CDC website-

Short-Term Health Risks

Excessive alcohol use has immediate effects that increase the risk of many harmful health conditions. These are most often the result of binge drinking and include the following:

• Injuries, such as motor vehicle crashes, falls, drownings, and burns.6,7
  • Violence, including homicide, suicide, sexual assault, and intimate partner violence.6-10
  • Alcohol poisoning, a medical emergency that results from high blood alcohol levels.11
  • Risky sexual behaviors, including unprotected sex or sex with multiple partners. These behaviors can result in unintended pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV.12,13
  • Miscarriage and stillbirth or fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs) among pregnant women.6,12,14,15

Long-Term Health Risks

Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to the development of chronic diseases and other serious problems including:

• High blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, liver disease, and digestive problems.6,16-21
  • Cancer of the breast, mouth, throat, esophagus, liver, and colon.6,22
  • Learning and memory problems, including dementia and poor school performance.6
  • Mental health problems, including depression and anxiety.6,23
  • Social problems, including lost productivity, family problems, and unemployment.6,24,25
  • Alcohol dependence, or alcoholism.6

By not drinking too much, you can reduce the risk of these short- and long-term health risks.

Moving on to tobacco, Cigarrettes contain to many harmful chemicals to count which can cause almost every type of cancer known to man. One use leaves behind permanent life-long damage. The main ingredient in tobacco products, nicotene, is actually an insect repellant, now is that the sort of stuff you really want to go stick in your mouth?

More Tabacco related facts from the Center of Disease Control(CDC) website.

• Smoking leads to disease and disability and harms nearly every organ of the body.1

• More than 16 million Americans are living with a disease caused by smoking.
  • For every person who dies because of smoking, at least 30 people live with a serious smoking-related illness.
  • Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
  • Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Smoking is a known cause of erectile dysfunction in males.
  • Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death.

• Worldwide, tobacco use causes nearly 6 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.2
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including nearly 42,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.1
  • On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.3
  • If smoking continues at the current rate among U.S. youth, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 years of age are expected to die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. This represents about one in every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger who are alive today.1

references-

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/

edit-

Alcohol-Related Deaths:

• Nearly 88,0009 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women9) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making it the fourth leading preventable cause of death in the United States.10

Anyways, this is up for debate, post your own opinions down below.

I believe that if you're going to fuck your body up, go ahead. Nobody can stop you unless you are a minor being cared for.  You want to smoke, drink, do drugs, whatever. If you're only hurting yourself, I can't see why there is a problem. However, the main points of alcohol and tobacco are their ability to ruin other people's lives. This, in my opinion, is unacceptable. Drinking yourself into an early grave if nobody is depending on you is by no means ideal, but can be unavoidable. Affecting other people's lives negatively should be prohibited, however that may be achieved. Remember the prohibition? Like with most drugs, as illegal as they may be, people will abuse them anyways. Preventing the use of these in public spaces and with families should be a goal for people.

Honestly, I've always had this thinking about alcohol/tobacco. If people want to be irresponsible and ruin their life, then that's up to them. I don't think there should be a huge regulation because like I said, if people want to ruin their life, then they can do just that. Now, with that being said, under no circumstances should anyone ever be overusing alcohol/tobacco and other drugs while they have a family living with them (wife, kids, etc.) It's one thing to ruin your life, but you should never bring others with you. I can't stand it when people abuse these things and they do it when they have a wife and kid/kids. You should never have to put your family through that.

The laws in place are fine. People over at age of 21 should hopefully be responsible enough to realize actions have consequences. Obviously people are fucking morons and still abuse substances for whatever it may be, but there isn't another way to regulate besides increasing taxes on it or raising the age limit (the latter being a poor choice). I believe people should have the ability to do what they want, as long as, when used properly, doesn't affect anyone else. People dying from drunk drivers, while terrible, will always be inevitable, no matter what we do to alcohol. So alcohol should stay where it is, and we should help lower the amounts of accidents by better educating kids and teens about it. 

Same thing goes with cigarettes, they are terrible for you, but hey your body your choice. If you wanna die 10 years earlier then be my guest it's a "free" country. I'm a little torn though about if raising taxes on cigarettes (despite it already being extremely high) will decrease the amount of people who smoke.

With all of this being said, I am extremely against the use of any substance, despite how some substances have very minor effects. But just because I don't like something doesn't mean it should be illegal. 

49 minutes ago, gca said:

In the U.S. alone it leads up to over 88 million deaths each year

I don't think 1 in 4 Americans die each year, let alone from one cause. Fewer than 40 million people are born in the US each year, so 88 million dying a year would lead to a total population collapse in less than a decade lol

Anyways, I don't have much to say about issues that revolve around freedom of choice vs. health since you can make a strong argument for either side. The only solution that satisfies both is the promotion of education and awareness in hopes that people choose to be healthy.

50 minutes ago, Darren said:

I don't think 1 in 4 Americans die each year, let alone from one cause. Fewer than 40 million people are born in the US each year, so 88 million dying a year would lead to a total population collapse in less than a decade lol

Anyways, I don't have much to say about issues that revolve around freedom of choice vs. health since you can make a strong argument for either side. The only solution that satisfies both is the promotion of education and awareness in hopes that people choose to be healthy.

Thanks for catching that @Darren, after reading your reply I went back through the sites and corrected that. It was supposed to be World wide instead of In the U.S. alone, my bad.

But yes, it is a matter of eduacating people and raising awareness about the effects. Both of these substances not only harm the user, but they harm the people around them as well, Whether it be second hand smoke related diseases or lashing out from the alcohol, all parties involved are being harmed physically and psychologically.

What I think is that alcohol and cigarettes should all be at the same age limit. Either have both at 21 or 18. But don't have them separately like we do now. You're sending off the bad message where the cigarette companies can buy you off in order to have the legal limit set lower to make it more accessible. Though in my opinion, both should be set at 21 that way if you're going to fuck your body up, at least do it when it's fully matured

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the chick who wanted to sue twitter because she was driving and someone on their cell phone ran in to her.

The fuck is wrong with people.

More laws aren't the answer. Rehabilitation and education is more important if you want to stop people from harming themselves.

From what I hear Germany has probably the best system. I think its 16 for lighter alcohol like beer and wine and 18 for hard alcohol. Had a teacher who lived in germany tell me the relatively low ages allowed for alcohol to not be seen as something that should just be done out of coolness or for a thrill of breaking a law but the limit of 2 years extra for hard alcohol meant people developed a tolerance before just jumping in like idiots. I think most 18 year olds can handle hard alcohol if they are responsible and 16 year olds already drink shitty beer so they might as well develop their tolerances and learn their limits with their family or friends instead of the woods somewhere or a shitty party.

10 hours ago, Travesty said:

More laws aren't the answer. Rehabilitation and education is more important if you want to stop people from harming themselves.

I agree, but I also think the laws that are in place need to be harsher... IE: Guy can get multiple DUIs and still legally drive and do minimum jail time if any...

40 minutes ago, Howard Dean said:

I agree, but I also think the laws that are in place need to be harsher... IE: Guy can get multiple DUIs and still legally drive and do minimum jail time if any...

Idk about that...my friends first (and only) DUI cost him about $10,000 (court fees, installation of breathalyzer in his car, etc...), only being able to drive to work for about 6 months. I think there was more, but I mean that's quite a bit of money and inconvenience and if you get a DUI during that time I'm guessing you're fucked.

I don't know how harsh of penalties you guys would want but in my state (WI), it seems reasonable.

Edit: Friend also had to keep the breathalyzer in his car after those 6 months for maybe 1-2 years.

23 minutes ago, B-cock #1 said:

Idk about that...my friends first (and only) DUI cost him about $10,000 (court fees, installation of breathalyzer in his car, etc...), only being able to drive to work for about 6 months. I think there was more, but I mean that's quite a bit of money and inconvenience and if you get a DUI during that time I'm guessing you're fucked.

I don't know how harsh of penalties you guys would want but in my state (WI), it seems reasonable.

Edit: Friend also had to keep the breathalyzer in his car after those 6 months for maybe 1-2 years.

That seems like a fair punishment to me. DUI is a serious thing and shouldn't be taken lightly, and I'm assuming he isn't going to do it again after all that money and freedom lost.

1 minute ago, Yunki said:

That seems like a fair punishment to me. DUI is a serious thing and shouldn't be taken lightly, and I'm assuming he isn't going to do it again after all that money and freedom lost.

Ya DUI's may have severe punishments, but many people don't care or stop caring after them and continue drinking and driving. I'm not sure if there's already a law for this or not, but there should be some sort of cap on this, like if you have 2-3 DUI's on record then you aren't allowed to purchase alcohol, not saying this will cut the DUI's down much but it would some what lessen them, as people are still going to find some way to get a hold of alcohol after it regardless of whether or not their ways are legal.

I say lessened because we should put taxes on that stuff and bring in more money.  Then when a dumb ass robs a bank on Drugs MORE TAX!

When a guy gets in a car accident With alcohol we should have more TAXES!!!

Get the picture Drugs=Taxes=$$$  

So by the transitive property Drugs=$$$

I don't promote either, but I'd rather have people smoking pot than cigarettes.

At least then people won't get cancer from cigarettes and have to live on government-provided benefits for the rest of their short lives.

To the point, cigarettes should be illegal to produce and consume.

here is my personal belief. You don't have any wright to say anything is bad for an individual. Only you can say what is bad an what is good for your self. When we have foods that do more damage to ones body then Liquor. sure smoking an drinking can hurt you in the long run. Drinking sodas or high sugared foods like Twinkies an ect is okay? its okay to put in our schools an okay to publish everywhere to make you want them? You don't turn 18 an they say hey here you are 18 now here are some cigs. Its a choice. For me im 21. I am an adult. i live on my own pay my own bills an rent 100% on my own. I work out 2-3 hours 5 days a week. I eat as healthy as possible, no soda no junk foods. So if i get shit faced on the weekends i sure an the hell should be able to do it with out getting out of control. yeah i may pass out on my kitchen table. But i didn't go out try to drive to taco-bell. Should be have iq test for people who want to buy stuff maybe. I think there are far more other harmful things in this world then tabaco or alcohol. Like i said personal beliefs on this. But nice debate!  

3 hours ago, A Horny Moose said:

here is my personal belief. You don't have any wright to say anything is bad for an individual. Only you can say what is bad an what is good for your self. When we have foods that do more damage to ones body then Liquor. sure smoking an drinking can hurt you in the long run. Drinking sodas or high sugared foods like Twinkies an ect is okay? its okay to put in our schools an okay to publish everywhere to make you want them? You don't turn 18 an they say hey here you are 18 now here are some cigs. Its a choice. For me im 21. I am an adult. i live on my own pay my own bills an rent 100% on my own. I work out 2-3 hours 5 days a week. I eat as healthy as possible, no soda no junk foods. So if i get shit faced on the weekends i sure an the hell should be able to do it with out getting out of control. yeah i may pass out on my kitchen table. But i didn't go out try to drive to taco-bell. Should be have iq test for people who want to buy stuff maybe. I think there are far more other harmful things in this world then tabaco or alcohol. Like i said personal beliefs on this. But nice debate!  

And in my opinion alcohol is horrible for you and has caused many family's to break down...  I still drink but when I do I still know where I am...  And fall asleep in my bed at night..

That's why I stick to weeeeeeed bro... 

On the subject of the dangers of alcohol, New York City just passed a law saying bartenders cannot refuse to serve pregnant women alcohol.

11 hours ago, Ian Kinsler said:

On the subject of the dangers of alcohol, New York City just passed a law saying bartenders cannot refuse to serve pregnant women alcohol.

That's retarded. Anyone who sells alcohol should be able to refuse service if they're uncomfortable with whom they're selling to. That's the case here in Michigan. I've had to refuse selling alcohol to people multiple times because it just seemed like a bad idea. Selling to drunks, sketchy looking kids, adults that took cash from some teens outside, etc.

11 hours ago, Ian Kinsler said:

1 minute ago, Sith said:

That's retarded. Anyone who sells alcohol should be able to refuse service if they're uncomfortable with whom they're selling to. That's the case here in Michigan. I've had to refuse selling alcohol to people multiple time's because it just seemed like a bad idea. Selling to drunks, sketchy looking kids, adults that took cash from some teens outside, etc.

Technically, don't most establishments reserve the right to refuse service to anyone? And if it's a pregnant woman, then they definitely shouldn't be getting alcohol in the first place a it not only effects them, but it causes permanent damage to the child as well.