Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pike

Brussels bombing

CeIs2DYXIAAT0oa.jpg

Last confirmed: Airport: 11 death, 81 injured Metro: 15 death, 55 injured after two blasts rocked Brussels’ Zaventem airport and also two metro explosions. Reports also suggest that first there was a shot fired in the departure hall, then something was called out in Arabic, and only afterward, two explosions rocked the facility. 

CeImFoQWIAAyHpo.jpg

All major public transit in Brussels is now closed. 

Map of known attacks

R.I.P to all the innocents that lost their lives. It's so sad that these terrorists think that their doing good by killing people like this.... Religion can be a scary thing in the wrong mind set. 

I was there a year ago this month.

Funny how quickly things change.

My heart goes out to those in Brussels.

jeez, the amount of damage they have been doing lately for suicide vest type attacks is insane. This can't be "home-made" explosives. They have to had gotten their hands on some military or demolition grade stuff. To pack that much damage into a small space is hard. 

4 minutes ago, centran said:

jeez, the amount of damage they have been doing lately for suicide vest type attacks is insane. This can't be "home-made" explosives. They have to had gotten their hands on some military or demolition grade stuff. To pack that much damage into a small space is hard. 

It definitely wasn't acted out by amateurs, the explosives were way too powerful to be made at home.

It's also clear what the intention is, the bomb in the airport was detonated by the American Airlines and United Airlines terminals.

It's kind of sad that Obama only spent around a minute talking about the incident.

24 minutes ago, Kordless said:

It's kind of sad that Obama only spent around a minute talking about the incident.

What else would you want him to say?

2 minutes ago, Swed said:

What else would you want him to say?

Well I mean if this happened in the US, you would see foreign leaders spend way more time on the subject.

I guess it could be the timing because he just landed in Cuba and was giving a speech, but it's still kind of upsetting that he didn't acknowledge the seriousness of the situation. 

He said we stand with Belgium, but didn't really offer any support or said he was talking to officials about supporting them.

Just now, Kordless said:

Well I mean if this happened in the US, you would see foreign leaders spend way more time on the subject.

I guess it could be the timing because he just landed in Cuba and was giving a speech, but it's still kind of upsetting that he didn't acknowledge the seriousness of the situation. 

He said we stand with Belgium, but didn't really offer any support or said he was talking to officials about supporting them.

We're already bombing ISIS as part of a coalition force. I don't know if he's talked to the Belgian PM but outside of boots on the ground, which would probably never happen, the most he can do is stand with them.

Any support from the U.S. would be part of a NATO operation.

1 minute ago, Swed said:

We're already bombing ISIS as part of a coalition force. I don't know if he's talked to the Belgian PM but outside of boots on the ground, which would probably never happen, the most he can do is stand with them.

Any support from the U.S. would be part of a NATO operation.

You are right, NATO would have to get involved for any real action.

It just sounded like he wanted to get that conversation over with and move on to his speech, I guess I just didn't like the approach he took about this situation, especially considering the bomb location was next to American and United Airlines.

Just now, Kordless said:

You are right, NATO would have to get involved for any real action.

It just sounded like he wanted to get that conversation over with and move on to his speech, I guess I just didn't like the approach he took about this situation, especially considering the bomb location was next to American and United Airlines.

To put it in perspective, look at the Paris attacks. The president explicitly said that he doesn't know if it was an attack by Muslims or jihadists. Until he's absolutely sure, he's not going to come out against Islam or Muslims in general. It would be a huge, insensitive gaffe.

Also, they have issued an arrest warrant for their suspect:

0eedb755-bcf4-4e2c-b1b2-4931b2c9c5db.jpg

They believe the two on the left are dead. Notice how they're wearing only one glove to conceal detonators. The guy on the right is believed to still be alive and is their main suspect.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35869254?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

It had just happened. What else did you expect him to say when they had no information yet. Did you expect him to go off on a tirade about muslims and how the nukes have already been launched to take care of them... well you will have to wait a little under a year for a president to give that type of response. 

28 minutes ago, centran said:

It had just happened. What else did you expect him to say when they had no information yet. Did you expect him to go off on a tirade about muslims and how the nukes have already been launched to take care of them... well you will have to wait a little under a year for a president to give that type of response. 

It honestly terrifies me how US foreign relations will look if Donald Trump is president.

It honestly terrifies me how US foreign relations will look if Donald Trump is president.

Agreed. Quick to the punch, hot headed Donnie Drumf is not the right guy for these kind of big scale issues.

Can we just fucking obliterate ISIS now? So tired of all this shit... 

Then another head of the snake takes over... It's not that simple.

You destroy 10 ISIS militants, they gain 20.

There needs to be some sort of common ground for all and a paradigm shift in the world. Obviously more complex and complicated than just that.

This seems to just be the beginning and still stems from the war on terror.

31 minutes ago, Travesty said:

Agreed. Quick to the punch, hot headed Donnie Drumf is not the right guy for these kind of big scale issues.

Then another head of the snake takes over... It's not that simple.

You destroy 10 ISIS militants, they gain 20.

There needs to be some sort of common ground for all and a paradigm shift in the world. Obviously more complex and complicated than just that.

This seems to just be the beginning and still stems from the war on terror.

This is why we are only doing drone strikes. "Boots on the ground" has proved to not work time and time again. Sure you may make things better for a little while but you create a power vacuum where someone worse or just as worse establishes control. On top of that you have the citizens seeing troops "occupy" them and may turn to the extremist side because they don't see the full picture of what is going on. Also they convert many young children who see and don't understand what is going on. They grow up and remember the confusion during their childhood and how things are changing. So even if you actually help them properly rebuild you simply can not do so without ruining some of their culture. The children now grown miss the simple good days and see rebuilding as damaging their culture and then BAM a new jihadist group starts. Anyway you try to tackle this is going to suck. That is why we have stayed out of it and offered support in other ways.

1 hour ago, centran said:

Also they convert many young children who see their innocent parents bombed in front of them for having brown skin

fixed

id be pretty pissed if the entire world thought the us military were the good guys when its clear they caused this mess in the first place

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9bzwSvCMAEu9Ga.jpg

I was in the hotel lobby with all the other kids at MEPS and we were watching the news when this was going on.... So sad.... 

Why? What's ISIS' goal? Is it just random acts of terror or something more sinister?

In any case, there will definitely be more tension in Europe and possibly other parts of the world.

4 hours ago, Dakka said:

Why? What's ISIS' goal? Is it just random acts of terror or something more sinister?

ISIS wants to establish a worldwide caliphate (Muslim state) that follows their radical version of Sunni Islam and destroy all the infidels.  They aren't a bunch of punks trying to blow up some crates on Dust 2.  They want to  terrorize (attack 'soft' targets: airports, public transit, city centers etc.) , mobilize (use propaganda and social media to promote their radical ideology and recruit more fighters),  and polarize (to lead most of the world's 1.6 billion Muslims to identify with ISIS).  They are surprisingly sophisticated relative to other terrorist organizations.  ISIS has taken control of oil refineries,  produce their own weapons, have their own media organization, plans to make a currency, the fighters even get paid a salary every month.

Depending on the outlook of future events we could literally see another World War however I am having trouble justifying to give it that title due to the nature of the group. I haven't read into this at all just voicing an opinion if things go south very fast. On a similar note, I highly doubt ISIS will be able to form any government that will be stable or be able to last an full scale war from NATO countries. Until that time, these attacks will be only be known as terrorism unfortunately. It is a real shame this region of the world is in such disarray within the modern era we are in.

15 hours ago, Dakka said:

In any case, there will definitely be more tension in Europe and possibly other parts of the world.

10 hours ago, alpha.waffles said:

ISIS wants to establish a worldwide caliphate (Muslim state) that follows their radical version of Sunni Islam and destroy all the infidels.  They aren't a bunch of punks trying to blow up some crates on Dust 2.  They want to  terrorize (attack 'soft' targets: airports, public transit, city centers etc.) , mobilize (use propaganda and social media to promote their radical ideology and recruit more fighters),  and polarize (to lead most of the world's 1.6 billion Muslims to identify with ISIS).  They are surprisingly sophisticated relative to other terrorist organizations.  ISIS has taken control of oil refineries,  produce their own weapons, have their own media organization, plans to make a currency, the fighters even get paid a salary every month.

To further on that a little bit. Their name has changed from ISIL(which the potus and military uses), to ISIS(which the media usually use), and the group themselves want to just be known as IS (Islamic State). The name changes have to do with what most wars are about... LAND. They believe they have a god given right to a stretch of land around Iraq/Syria and that land should be ruled under a caliphate. The last name change is because it isn't going to stop there. Their goal is now worldwide. 

You may have run across some religions that seem "serious" or extreme in what the believe and practice. I'm not talking about Islam but there are more "extreme"(so to speak) branches of Catholicism and Judaism. This is because certain groups of people interpret the "bible"(or their version of it) differently and choose to ignore or believe more strongly in certain parts. When the media refers to Islamic extremist though it is usually about these terrorist group. One of the extreme sides of Islam is very violent. You are basically a believer and fall in line or you are to be killed and that is what groups like ISIS does. Also their punishment for certain "crimes"(mind you some of their crimes are things such as a woman touching any other man other then her husband or family and that touching isn't just a nice term for sexual but is as simple as a handshake) is very violent or death sentence worthy. 

An interesting thing about their law they follow is that they are supposed to give people a chance to convert. Also there are also things that allow non-believers to still live in peace in their community as long as they pay a higher "tax". However, i think that is one of the things they choose to ignore. The reason for terrorism is two fold. Kill the non-believers and scare the shit out of fellow Muslims that they better get in line to their way.