Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Groot

Stolen Valor

So i was getting gas and this homeless man in a Marine uniform asked me if he could clean the windows on my car for change, i let him (i felt bad and was kind of suspicious of the guy). While i was pumping gas and he was cleaning my windows i was asking him questions about his time in the marines. I asked him about the many ribbons on his uniform and what they meant and he gave some good stories. before i continue i am a poolee of the Marine Corps (basically i PT with the recruiters til i go to Boot Camp) and to study the things i need to know i have a app that is made by Marines that helps u learn rank and acheivment medals and ribbons and so on and so forth. anyway this guy was pointing out ribbons saying what he thought they were. Meanwhile i'm on the app confirming that they are what he says they are(a lot of them weren't what he said). Next i acted like i didn't know what the rank was and asked him what rank was on his shoulder. he said it private and for those of you who don't know private in the marine corps has nothing on the shoulder until you get pvt 1st class which is what he had on his shoulder. next i asked him what his M.O.S. (his job in the military) was he couldn't think of it. finally i asked If had his CAC on him he had no clue what a CAC was. I have been to some close friends funerals who died wearing the uniform he had on and this erked me. I reported him to my recruiter but the only thing I could give him was the name on the name tape on his uniform. so do you guys think this is as disrespectful to the men and women who wear and die in the uniform. 

So i was getting gas and this homeless man in a Marine uniform asked me if he could clean the windows on my car for change, i let him (i felt bad and was kind of suspicious of the guy). While i was pumping gas and he was cleaning my windows i was asking him questions about his time in the marines. I asked him about the many ribbons on his uniform and what they meant and he gave some good stories. before i continue i am a poolee of the Marine Corps (basically i PT with the recruiters til i go to Boot Camp) and to study the things i need to know i have a app that is made by Marines that helps u learn rank and acheivment medals and ribbons and so on and so forth. anyway this guy was pointing out ribbons saying what he thought they were. Meanwhile i'm on the app confirming that they are what he says they are(a lot of them weren't what he said). Next i acted like i didn't know what the rank was and asked him what rank was on his shoulder. he said it private and for those of you who don't know private in the marine corps has nothing on the shoulder until you get pvt 1st class which is what he had on his shoulder. next i asked him what his M.O.S. (his job in the military) was he couldn't think of it. finally i asked If had his CAC on him he had no clue what a CAC was. I have been to some close friends funerals who died wearing the uniform he had on and this erked me. I reported him to my recruiter but the only thing I could give him was the name on the name tape on his uniform. so do you guys think this is as disrespectful to the men and women who wear and die in the uniform. 

You turn your CAC in went you leave the military. Also a CAC may not have existed when he was in. Basically don't fuck with homeless folks, because they're statistically mentally impaired. Google or youtube "stolen valor." You'll see some lulz.

You turn your CAC in went you leave the military. Also a CAC may not have existed when he was in. Basically don't fuck with homeless folks, because they're statistically mentally impaired. Google or youtube "stolen valor." You'll see some lulz.

i just looked that up that is halarious

i think its whack that you care more about the fact that he possibly lied to you for charity instead of how hes probably going to die cold hungry and alone within the next year

career murderers everybody :rolleyes: 

Maybe he was actually in the military, but so fucked the head, he doesn't know his shit anymore. Did he say when he served or what conflicts/wars he was part of?

Maybe he was actually in the military, but so fucked the head, he doesn't know his shit anymore. Did he say when he served or what conflicts/wars he was part of?

Yeah like that time in Black Ops where the Russians injected the guy with crazy ass drugs to make him go full commie. 

No the reason why veterans go homeless, is because they remember what happened in country, they remember their friend getting blown to tiny bits, they remember having their best mate through basic training bleed out in your arms while the helio was only 1 minute out. The reason the homeless veterans are fucked in the head are very clear to them. Especially when the VA and the average citizen in the USA do nothing to help them once they get stateside. 

That being said every prior service can recall general knowledge about medals, especially ones you bleed and fought for. I feel he was probably a phony.

You should of asked if he was Airborne Delta Ranger Seal Team Seven.

FYI, the stolen valor law was repealed and then amended several years ago. It only applies to medals/awards and only if that person is claiming they earned them and doing so for some money or other tangible thing(ie. recognition doesn't count). It is really hard to prosecute someone with this new law. Trying to enforce that law on homeless begging would be difficult unless they are just blatantly saying I served our country, was wounded, here is my purple heart, give me money. The law was made for people even more bigger an asshole then those guys. There were people actually making a decent income from pretending they served. So they needed a law that still allowed freedom of speech but also to prevent people who should have remained a cum wad and flushed down the toilet from making money off of being the ultimate scum of the earth.

But going back to what chosen said, yeah many homeless have mental problems. Shit!, that dude could have found that uniform and convinced himself in his head that he served. Some of them are that fucked up. Also some are unstable so I wouldn't go around shouting stolen valor, stolen valor to them. I'm not sure if you got aggressive with your questioning but it sounds like you did the right thing; Play along with his story then report him to the authorities.

FYI, the stolen valor law was repealed and then amended several years ago. It only applies to medals/awards and only if that person is claiming they earned them and doing so for some money or other tangible thing(ie. recognition doesn't count). It is really hard to prosecute someone with this new law. Trying to enforce that law on homeless begging would be difficult unless they are just blatantly saying I served our country, was wounded, here is my purple heart, give me money. The law was made for people even more bigger an asshole then those guys. There were people actually making a decent income from pretending they served. So they needed a law that still allowed freedom of speech but also to prevent people who should have remained a cum wad and flushed down the toilet from making money off of being the ultimate scum of the earth.

But going back to what chosen said, yeah many homeless have mental problems. Shit!, that dude could have found that uniform and convinced himself in his head that he served. Some of them are that fucked up. Also some are unstable so I wouldn't go around shouting stolen valor, stolen valor to them. I'm not sure if you got aggressive with your questioning but it sounds like you did the right thing; Play along with his story then report him to the authorities.

I didnt ask agressively i let him just go on with his storys than i payed him wat ever change i had in my car and left and are u sayiing the military is scum

I didnt ask agressively i let him just go on with his storys than i payed him wat ever change i had in my car and left and are u sayiing the military is scum

No I am saying that the fuckers that pretend to be military and where making a profit from it are scum. My point was the law wasn't fully repealed because there are way worse people then just a homeless dude trying to get enough spare change for a bottle of booze so they had to change it to cover the real assholes.

No I am saying that the fuckers that pretend to be military and where making a profit from it are scum. My point was the law wasn't fully repealed because there are way worse people then just a homeless dude trying to get enough spare change for a bottle of booze so they had to change it to cover the real assholes.

fair enough i agree completely 

Can I ask what app you were using to determine medals and such? I have a buddy who has built an app that sounds very similar to what you described. If it's his app I bet he'd be over the moon that I found someone using it.

Can I ask what app you were using to determine medals and such? I have a buddy who has built an app that sounds very similar to what you described. If it's his app I bet he'd be over the moon that I found someone using it.

the app is called Icorps and is has everything from ranks ro cadence and how you should have your uniform

Never confronted someone/saw someone who had stolen valor before.

I would get extremely salty about it and cuss the dude out.

Few of my family members served and some close friends of mine did as well. Stealing others' valor is a slap in the face to those who served.

Again. If a dude is doing it to try to get some extra food or cash i dont care. If you're at the mall trying to get that military discount I still just can't find the time to care.

Why bother?

Again. If a dude is doing it to try to get some extra food or cash i dont care. If you're at the mall trying to get that military discount I still just can't find the time to care.

Why bother?

I get it. Leave them to their own device. I still feel like I have to say something to them even if it's one word. 

If you're at the mall trying to get that military discount I still just can't find the time to care.

Why bother?

If nobody cared we wouldnt get videos like this anymore

If nobody cared we wouldnt get videos like this anymore

My first unit was the 506th Infantry Regiment (Band of Brothers). We're fanatical about our shit. That fatty's uniform is so jacked.