Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swed

Thoughts on Upgrades

Here's my current build, I have 3 monitors(Another ASUS v239 and a LG TV) but those are at home right now.

I'have had this build for over 3 years now. Any suggestions or thoughts on upgrading stuff soon.

CPU is OC'd to 4.2 Ghz.

b9d98ab7bc.png

Is there a reason you're looking at upgrading? Games coming out, work...? Or just looking towards Black Friday/Cyber Monday for good deals?

If you're running everything contently, there's no real reason to upgrade any of it - for being 3 years old, aside from your graphics card showing it's that old, it's a pretty solid build. Again, if you're fine with the fps you're getting, I would just wait - you can either save for new models when they come out and you feel like you really need it, or some of the models that are new now, will drop in price. 

If you have actual reasons for upgrading however, it's a completely different story.

The only worthwhile Upgrade is probably a larger ssd for games. Other than that it's a solid sytem and should last you a while longer. My cpu is nearing 4 years old, but it still performs close or better to current gen cpus.I'm also still rocking my 780ti and it plays everything well.

Edit: 144Hz monitors are also a good Upgrade. I suggest the Asus vg248qe.

Basically same build as me except 3770k instead of my 4770k and I'm upgrading my 780 just because I'm starting to get errors and artifacts so I think it's about to die on me

The only worthwhile Upgrade is probably a larger ssd for games. Other than that it's a solid sytem and should last you a while longer. My cpu is nearing 4 years old, but it still performs close or better to current gen cpus.I'm also still rocking my 780ti and it plays everything well.

STILL rocking at 780ti?

dude that card is only 1 generation old it's fucking good

utIWMRY.jpg

Be me and build a new one anyway. 

There is some merit to "upgrading" in that it "future proofs" your computer for games coming that may use DX12 or Vulkan in the future, or if you wish to run 1440p or higher on "modern" AAA game titles.

Mofl reporting in to second the VG248QE recommendation. Also, 500gb solid state drives are floating at around the $150 mark on Amazon if you go with the 850 EVO. I'm all SSD right now, and it's more than enough space for games that you frequently play

Weird. Not sure if it was my luck, but I bought mine and it needed almost no color adjustment to look as good as my VE247H that I went to town on with adjustments. O.o

It could be Asus changing actory color settings over time to fix the issue.

Edit:now that I think about it, the vg248qe we have at best buy didn't need any color calibration.

Cyber monday should be the best day out of this entire month for you to buy a new hardware. I am going to buy a new GPU since my little 550 TI is getting outdated and is struggling to run new games like Black Ops III and even struggled a little with GTA V.