Sign in to follow this  
Rootbeer

Rewards for winning

EXP PLS  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Install an EXP reward for the round-winning team?

• Yes
    • No

Inspired by the comradery of JB where teams actually coordinate and work together to achieve victory in an otherwise casual modded game, I feel like War3 should have that as well. As it is War3 is basically a casual dm server and there's nothing wrong with that, but I feel like the guys who actually work together to win should be rewarded. I remember the times when people would actually ask for specific races to be played: some races that would otherwise be weak on their own became highly valuable and the enemy team would react accordingly. Nowadays those times are practically non-existant, they were great fun for everyone involved.

With the large amount of races that have been/are being created I feel like an EXP reward for winning the round is a healthy route; the fact that people populate our servers during event for double exp proves it to be a valuable and wanting reward.

The exact number of exp would be variable of course, we don't want too much free exp to be given a way, but it should be substantial enough to warrant encouraging teammates to work together.

Back to the healthy route of the server, this opens up another way for people to level up. By actually getting exp from winning, you now have to choose between buying tomes of exp or helping your team to win with shopmenu items. Why read tomes when your personal skill can level you up just as fast/faster?

I imagine there may be people who try to teamstack with this reward incorporated, but I'm sure our trusty and 100% efficient auto-teambalancer will handle that problem completely. If not we could come with more ideas of course.

My general experience with players and objectives is this: Ts must plant the bomb by 1:00 but CTs dont feel that they are required to even attempt to defuse the bomb which goes completely opposite to the reading of this rule:

• Attempt objectives for each type of map. You must at least be attempting to do your objective when the clock hits one minute (1:00) for the round.

I totally support a small XP bonus for teamwork and winning the round as I hope it would lead to an attitude/mentality change towards doing the objective as well as your main point of working together.

Edited by Swed

fuck the balance script

also swed i dont attempt objective if it feels impossible to win 1v8 bomb planted, etc.

Inspired by the comradery of JB where teams actually coordinate and work together to achieve victory in an otherwise casual modded game, I feel like War3 should have that as well. As it is War3 is basically a casual dm server and there's nothing wrong with that, but I feel like the guys who actually work together to win should be rewarded. I remember the times when people would actually ask for specific races to be played: some races that would otherwise be weak on their own became highly valuable and the enemy team would react accordingly. Nowadays those times are practically non-existant, they were great fun for everyone involved.

With the large amount of races that have been/are being created I feel like an EXP reward for winning the round is a healthy route; the fact that people populate our servers during event for double exp proves it to be a valuable and wanting reward.

The exact number of exp would be variable of course, we don't want too much free exp to be given a way, but it should be substantial enough to warrant encouraging teammates to work together.

Back to the healthy route of the server, this opens up another way for people to level up. By actually getting exp from winning, you now have to choose between buying tomes of exp or helping your team to win with shopmenu items. Why read tomes when your personal skill can level you up just as fast/faster?

I imagine there may be people who try to teamstack with this reward incorporated, but I'm sure our trusty and 100% efficient auto-teambalancer will handle that problem completely. If not we could come with more ideas of course.

i love you habibi

I imagine there may be people who try to teamstack with this reward incorporated, but I'm sure Hornycat will be the only person with the balls to step in and save the teams from this 10/10 auto-team balancer. If not we could come up with more ideas of course.

Fix that for you m8.

This exp reward idea is a great idea that I fully support and I'm on board with. Another thing that I want to add is that it should work exactly like valve does their money economy in this game. Your first win should reward you with 125 xp, your second consecutive round win should give 250 xp, and finally your third consecutive win gives 500xp, every consecutive win after the third will only reward 500xp. Losing a round will cause your teams xp progress to reset.

I really like that you mentioned the reasoning behind this was to have another competing source of XP besides buying tomes. Whereas tomes reward a player for time played, this route rewards players for effort and skill put in. Instantaneously, the value of the shopmenu goes up and is no longer a heavy money sink.

Didn't we used to have more EXP items on the old servers? things like, survive longer get more exp at round start, or get more exp per kill, or stuff like that. that would be nice.

also pls have new game + gain a small amount of exp for using the ulti. after 10 uses it literally can't do anything with its money except fill T spawn with glocks.

Some bonus XP for managing to complete the objective the game was created for would be nice. I don't know if it will stop the people who like to sit back and dodge doing the objectives at every opportunity, but at least those who do complete it will get rewarded a small degree.

Some bonus XP for managing to complete the objective the game was created for would be nice

There are tiny exp bonuses for planting/being near the defused bomb but they're rather small.

Upon further thoughts on the topic, I think an exponentially rewarding win streak system is the best implementation of the idea. The first win can yield a minor amount, but the rewards for the consecutive wins should be a fair amount more. This should give more incentive to keep the winstreak alive and going.

Didn't we used to have more EXP items on the old servers? things like, survive longer get more exp at round start, or get more exp per kill, or stuff like that. that would be nice.

also pls have new game + gain a small amount of exp for using the ulti. after 10 uses it literally can't do anything with its money except fill T spawn with glocks.

I don't recall anything like this ever being part of the old server, does sound like a good idea though.

Really like this idea Rootbeer but I honestly can't see it changing the general decorum of the server, War3 has turned more into a social event than a tactical server. Regardless, like the idea of the winning team getting at least some form of reward, not just a bit of extra cash.

Yeah there was the book of learning or w/e that gave you small xp boost on kills and rounds survived..

darn liberals takin' mah experience and given it to welfare players

(I like the concept. Rewards teamplay over fragging w/o regard to others. Also makes support classes feel stronger in terms of playing.)

Edited by TurtleFrenzy

Based on discussions with skitt I'm going to put it on live at 25% of kill xp instead of  50%. It is easy for me to adjust the percent of xp pooled without restarting, so I will just keep an eye on it.

It isn't quite live yet, but it should be by tonight.

I'm glad that we implemented this, I really am. At 25% though, I'm barely getting 60 exp for being on the winning team of a 20 pop server; it's quite an insubstantial amount of exp that the feature might as well not be implemented lol. Face predicts 80-300 exp per round with 50%, which I can agree with if the number stays higher in the 200-300 range.

Alternative suggestion: scale the exp per round given according to the amount of total players on. With 10 exp per player on the server and a population of 10 (5 on each team), the winning team would get 100 bonus exp. With double that, 20 players and 10 on each team, it'll be 200 bonus exp per win. On a full server, 280 exp per win. Heey~ constant full pop.

Whatever the ENGies decide on, I'd be happy with either of the changes.