Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Count

Post your favorite quotes

Mine is

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

"You ever been in a cockpit before?"
"No, sir. I've never been up in a plane before?"
"You ever seen a grown man naked?" 

"We want to hurt no one! We're here for the bank's money, not your money. Your money is insured by the federal government, you're not gonna lose a dime! Think of your families, don't risk your life. Don't try and be a hero!"

Alternatively "This is Sparta!" as this is my 300th non spam post.

"If you want to learn what someone fears losing, watch what they photograph."

Hits me harder then what I expected.

Photograph means the way they picture it?

Photograph means the way they picture it?

By watching what they photograph means what they take pictures of; people, animals, etc. Memories.

Mine is

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Kim - Btw there is no evidence that leads to Einstein ever stating that quote. This is a common misquote much like the famous "definition of insanity". Both quotes are from earlier works and likely never stated or even acknowledged by Einstein.

"Μολὼν λαβέ" - Leonidas I

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

"Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers." - Voltaire

"The French Revolution is the ultimate modernist statement. Destroy everything. Don't build on the past. There is no past." - John Corigliano

"To have another language is to possess a second soul." - Charlemagne

"Man will only be free when the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot

“Ah fuck it, let them stay.” - Louis XVI on the Third Estate’s refusal to disband, June 1789

"It is the height of stupidity to claim that men who for a thousand years have had the power to berate us, to fleece us and to oppress us with impunity, will now agree, with good grace, to be our equals." - Jean-Paul Marat

"Tell me, fellow Frenchmen, is it possible? If the man you call the Holy Father takes it into his head to oppose your laws, do you dare? Or are you stupid enough to give them up? What do you expect from a Pope? Screw the Pope. Believe me, it is your turn, because for ten centuries he has been screwing you." - Jacques Hebert in Pere Duchesne

"Let us arm ourselves. Let us show the men that we are not their inferiors in courage or virtue. Let us rise to the level of our destinies and break our chains. It is high time that women emerged from the shameful state of nullity and ignorance, to which the arrogance and injustice of men have so long condemned us." - Théorigne de Méricourt

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Richard Dawkins

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"The solution often turns out more beautiful than the puzzle." - Richard Dawkins

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"We spend the first year of a child's life teaching it to walk and talk and the rest of its life to shut up and sit down. There's something wrong there." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"The more I learn about the universe, the less convinced I am that there's any sort of benevolent force that has anything to do with it, at all." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"In 2002, having spent more than three years in one residence for the first time in my life, I got called for jury duty. I show up on time, ready to serve. When we get to the voir dire, the lawyer says to me, “I see you’re an astrophysicist. What’s that?” I answer, “Astrophysics is the laws of physics, applied to the universe—the Big Bang, black holes, that sort of thing.” Then he asks, “What do you teach at Princeton?” and I say, “I teach a class on the evaluation of evidence and the relative unreliability of eyewitness testimony.” Five minutes later, I’m on the street. 

A few years later, jury duty again. The judge states that the defendant is charged with possession of 1,700 milligrams of cocaine. It was found on his body, he was arrested, and he is now on trial. This time, after the Q&A is over, the judge asks us whether there are any questions we’d like to ask the court, and I say, “Yes, Your Honor. Why did you say he was in possession of 1,700 milligrams of cocaine? That equals 1.7 grams. The ‘thousand’ cancels with the ‘milli-’ and you get 1.7 grams, which is less than the weight of a dime.” Again I’m out on the street." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"If you want to learn what someone fears losing, watch what they photograph."

Hits me harder then what I expected.

So those of us who don't take pictures of things are fearless bastards

Either that, or I fear losing that one old guy at the oil change place who was way too in to Pixar's Cars

“I believe the good you do for others comes back to you."  "But if you do something good for some person and more than two people know about it—you and the other person—then you didn't do it for the right reason.”

George M. Steinbrenner III - Former owner of the New York Yankees. 

“I believe the good you do for others comes back to you."  "But if you do something good for some person and more than two people know about it—you and the other person—then you didn't do it for the right reason.”

George M. Steinbrenner III - Former owner of the New York Yankees. 

what if someone was falling off a building and you caught them and a third person saw

what if someone was falling off a building and you caught them and a third person saw

I mean, I think we all know the answer to that... you throw the 3rd person off the building.. no witnesses man!

I mean, I think we all know the answer to that... you throw the 3rd person off the building.. no witnesses man!

is it okay if other people see me doing a bad thing for someone