Sign in to follow this  
Ordinarygamer96

Good Free Antivirus?

My antivirus recently expired on my pc and because of college coming up I cant really spare the money to renew it or get a new one if I don't have to. Anyone know a good free anti virus I can use?

all you really need is microsoft security essentials 

Malawarebytes works wonders for a free program.

The two are really all you should need. Malwarebytes runs deals every once in a while to get their upgraded version for dirt cheap.. Probably going to pick it up next time I see it myself instead of pirating it. 

The best antivirus is your common sense. If you absolutely need something, then pick up Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you're ever skeptical about a file, scan the file. You don't need an antivirus running in the background all the time., so the free version is perfect.

The best antivirus is your common sense. If you absolutely need something, then pick up Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you're ever skeptical about a file, scan the file. You don't need an antivirus running in the background all the time., so the free version is perfect.

Ya I'm usually pretty good at avoiding sites I think will give a virus I just want to have a little insurance because I really don't want to end up in a situation in college where I can't get shit done because something is wrong with my laptop

Edited by Ordinarygamer96

I think I have security essentials on my computer but whenever I try to click on it it tells me that the function is disabled or something like that

I'm assuming you're using windows 7. Win 8 has windows defender which is basically microsoft security essentials only, unlike Win 7, it actually works. If you have microsoft security essentials installed on 7 and it's not working, go to microsoft site and re-download/install it. Mostly every tech I've met has preferred essentials and malwarebytes on their computers over any paid program. Plus if you're careful while surfing the web you'll most likely never need to use them.

I'm assuming you're using windows 7. Win 8 has windows defender which is basically microsoft security essentials only, unlike Win 7, it actually works. If you have microsoft security essentials installed on 7 and it's not working, go to microsoft site and re-download/install it. Mostly every tech I've met has preferred essentials and malwarebytes on their computers over any paid program. Plus if you're careful while surfing the web you'll most likely never need to use them.

I have 8 and I was wrong I have defender not essentials. I figured out the reason it wasn't working was because webroot being on the computer turned it off but webroot is useless since it's expired. I'm trying to turn off webroot so defender turns on but the shutdown button isn't where it's supposed to be and I can't find it.

Never mind I fixed the problem. webroot just lied about where the shutdown was or they changed the button since making The instructions. I have defender up. So basically defender is all I need and maybe malwarebytes?

Edited by Ordinarygamer96

I have 8 and I was wrong I have defender not essentials. I figured out the reason it wasn't working was because webroot being on the computer turned it off but webroot is useless since it's expired. I'm trying to turn off webroot so defender turns on but the shutdown button isn't where it's supposed to be and I can't find it.

Never mind I fixed the problem. webroot just lied about where the shutdown was or they changed the button since making The instructions. I have defender up. So basically defender is all I need and maybe malwarebytes?

You really dont need both, but having malwarebytes to run a scan once in a while wont hurt.. it also has a stealth executable I used to use when PCs would get infected and block other exe's from loading. It runs as a .bat file if i remember correctly then scans/removes the threats. Worth having installed just for that little insurance.

If Webroot is expired just uninstall it. Start > programs and features > select webroot > uninstall. 

can't really go wrong with avg 2014 tbh

avg needs to burn in hell infinite times over 

EDIT: Also malwarebytes does what it says in the name. Hunts malware. Better safe to have that with Win 8 Defender. They don't conflict so it's more a better defense on your part. Programs I also personally use Rkill and TDSSKiller. Rkill is another good malware program, while TD is more a rootkit AV. They can be very useful when MB and WD can't find the problems.

Edited by Reaper0470

avg needs to burn in hell infinite times over 

EDIT: Also malwarebytes does what it says in the name. Hunts malware. Better safe to have that with Win 8 Defender. They don't conflict so it's more a better defense on your part. Programs I also personally use Rkill and TDSSKiller. Rkill is another good malware program, while TD is more a rootkit AV. They can be very useful when MB and WD can't find the problems.

Rkill and TDSS are more reactionary tools (like combofix) than proactive really. They're also good tools to have saved on a PC in the event you do get infected, but they're not something that need to be run regularly. 

Rkill and TDSS are more reactionary tools (like combofix) than proactive really. They're also good tools to have saved on a PC in the event you do get infected, but they're not something that need to be run regularly. 

Read last sentence.

I used to like AVG but they started with the annoying crap of trying to upsell you then annoying popups. Plus the detection went to shit.

I then switched to Avast but they soon switched to the crap of trying to upsell you but at least it is easy/obvious with them to continue with the free version download/update. But with the most recent update they have gotten really bad with the annoying popups. However, their detection is still decent.

If you are setting this up for other people I would still recommend Avast but if it is just for yourself then try and pirate nod32. nod32 is by far the best but it is paid. Luckily it is very easy to get keys for. I wouldn't recommend it for others as the keys only last a year and you need to find a new key. Avast only lasts a year as well because you have to "subscribe" but you can just put in a fake email and re-subscribing is easy so the person should be able to do it themselves.

all you really need is microsoft security essentials 

was also rated one of the top for 2013...  put up against mcafee, norton, and some other thing i forgot