Sign in to follow this  
ChosenOne2000

Recognition of the Cyberathlete: Reported Health Issues Related to Amateur Online Gaming

I'm ALMOST halfway through deployment and I finally have some time to devote to publishing. The above title is 3rd in my queue. I have the clan's BMI data from 2 years ago. I want to hear about other health related issues you guys have from hours of gaming (back problems, neck issues, etc). I'm willing to expand my authorship to a total of 6. Myself, Junzou, and Mitch are automatically in the top 3 for their assistance in constructing the datasets from 2 years ago. My wife will most likely edit the journal article and will be number 6. That leaves the 4 and 5 spot open to hardcore contributors of this paper. Additional substantial contributors will receive mention in the acknowledgment section of the manuscript.

Serious replies are welcome via PM. I prefer the 4 and 5 authors to be college age or high school senior.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the identified subject.

-c12k

Wow, this is pretty impressive.

I'd love to contribute personally, but there aren't any health conditions that I have accumulated from gaming lots, honestly.

Well, that's aside from the autism from being a furry. You can report that.

Edited by Rune

Wow, this is pretty impressive.

I'd love to contribute personally, but there aren't any health conditions that I have accumulated from gaming lots, honestly.

Well, that's aside from the autism from being a furry. You can report that.

They don't have to be your health conditions. Just naming ones you've seen from other players works for me. The condition, how it was caused, if its being treated and how.

If you need updated BMI information I can help set up a Google doc and help gather it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I'm gonna ride the existing data for awhile. It just feels good to finally get a crack at the data. A follow up survey might come towards the end of the year if I wanted to perform a longitudinal study.

Yes. It seems that whenever I log into these forums, the hair on my neck seems to lengthen greatly.

Edited by Ichalvl

I'd say one of the biggest things encountered is eye strain with heavy and longterm computer usage. I know mine suffered and now I'm nearsighted lol

I'm a high school senior and I have at times experienced trouble focusing my eyes after a long gaming session but only when it's computer not console. It dosent take effect until after I am done playing and can go away when I'm actually playing if that makes sense. Other than that sore back happens unless I'm sitting comfortably.

well I can say that sitting in a position to play games hasn't helped my scoliosis in the slightest. I don't really know if video games are the cause of it but if it was it wouldn't surprise me, my posture while playing games is terrible.

I'll just throw in my experience with excessive gaming and hope this helps in some way, the health issues a sedentary lifestyle promotes are both physical and mental. Laziness, procrastination and real life social isolation can be a gateway to depression and other mental issues, over the years I found out a good amount of my friends (myself included) who didn't moderate their gaming habits had either low self esteem, domestic drama due to excessive gaming, or little to no ambition outside of gaming. For me, the biggest physical consequence was it promoted obesity, my inactive lifestyle left me damn near 300lbs, which made me sad cause I wanted to be sexy and how could I get ass  when I looked like oversized unbaked wonder bread?  But good came out of it, being in that position made me want a complete opposite lifestyle. So then i started playing less, studied health and physical fitness, started lifting, got big, trained that kid you know as jmafia and now he cant stop taking selfies and has a large male fanbase on instagram!

Edited by Mufasa

My eyesight has been hindered. Not to the point of where I need glasses, but I definitely cannot see as well from 2 years ago.

My eyesight has been hindered. Not to the point of where I need glasses, but I definitely cannot see as well from 2 years ago.

I talked about watching a screen all day everyday to my eye doctor. She said it doesn't hurt your eyes, but what happens is that your eyes adjust to the close range between you and your monitor so when you look to other things from a long range it will be blurry, which I had. It goes away with time. Also don't forget to blink, when staring at a monitor you blink 1 time per minute avarage while most people blink 11 times per minute.

Chosen, as someone who plays not only a shit ton of video games, but also stares at monitors at work for 8+ hours a day, I will aid you in your research if you need me.

Killing terrorists from Vegas. Amurica.

I changed the title based on Shadow's recommendation. I'll need a write up that describes a pro gamer and what is an amateur gamer. I have the average hours per week spent gaming from the previous study. This is my vision: 

Intro:

-pro gamer vs amateur gamer

-pro athlete vs amateur athlete

-provide comparison that even amateur athletes receive sports related wear and tear on their bodies; amateur gamer as no different

-cite study for average number of hours spent gaming per week

-explain sG

Method:

-explain how I received self reports of chronic issues

Findings:

-provide quotes from the PMs and posts (maybe some stats if I see a trend in the responses

Discussion:

What medical providers need to watch for in their assessments (IAD, carpal tunnel, lumbar issues, headaches, ear infections, etc)

Conclusion:

-recognition as amateur athletes and as such gamer can get "sports related" injuries/ disorders

I honestly need help with the intro. I can easily write the rest myself.

Thoughts?

Compare carpal tunnel basketball players can get from repeated shooting and dribbling vs the carpal tunnel nerds gets from repeated dota

Edited by Freekiller #3

I changed the title based on Shadow's recommendation. I'll need a write up that describes a pro gamer and what is an amateur gamer. I have the average hours per week spent gaming from the previous study. This is my vision: 

Intro:

-pro gamer vs amateur gamer

-pro athlete vs amateur athlete

-provide comparison that even amateur athletes receive sports related wear and tear on their bodies; amateur gamer as no different

-cite study for average number of hours spent gaming per week

-explain sG

Method:

-explain how I received self reports of chronic issues

Findings:

-provide quotes from the PMs and posts (maybe some stats if I see a trend in the responses

Discussion:

What medical providers need to watch for in their assessments (IAD, carpal tunnel, lumbar issues, headaches, ear infections, etc)

Conclusion:

-recognition as amateur athletes and as such gamer can get "sports related" injuries/ disorders

I honestly need help with the intro. I can easily write the rest myself.

Thoughts?

so what is a professional gamer? there are a couple types

first we have the tournyfag who is really good and practices every day in a cramped 17 person flat in korea

then we have the pewdiepie who is more of an entertainer but is still getting paid

and the tristan who spends 12 hours a day farming gold/cs cases

they all make money, only one has a legitimate athelete equivalent

so what is a professional gamer? there are a couple types

first we have the tournyfag who is really good and practices every day in a cramped 17 person flat in korea

then we have the pewdiepie who is more of an entertainer but is still getting paid

and the tristan who spends 12 hours a day farming gold/cs cases

they all make money, only one has a legitimate athelete equivalent

lol

not even bruh

Edited by Tristan.