Sign in to follow this  
Lv. 100 Garchomp

Turn Off Mouse Acceleration

What is mouse acceleration?

Mouse acceleration is something that is default with most computers. What it does is that the faster you move your mouse, the further your cursor will move. In theory, this is a good thing and for things like desktop activity, it's fine! The problem comes down to when you are actually playing video games. With mouse accel on, you can move your mouse the same distance and turn at different rates because of how fast you move your hand.

How is this a problem?

With your aim having inconsistencies because of the settings of your computer, you adapt to having to move your hand at different speeds. Coming to aiming, it can throw you off because the distances to turn aren't the same for different speeds.

Why should I turn it off?

Turning off mouse acceleration will help improve your aim because it gets rid of inconsistencies. It also builds up muscle memory that however far you move your mouse is however far you will turn your view in game. Don't believe me? I just turned it off today, and while I'm having to work on my aim again, I'm finding it a lot more consistent to aim and to shoot. Yes, I do have to mess with my sensitivity, but that will come up later.

Here's a brief video explaining everything, why you should turn it off, and how you can do it (I recommend listening to the DPI part as well):

http://youtu.be/2_yuriL0G-U?t=3m4s

I hope this helps! It seems to with me.

Wait people actually play first person shooters with acceleration on? O_O.

Also, if you have a 16:9 resolution, the best mouse speed is 6/11 (I think). I know for sure it's the 6th notch from the left. But at this point, mouse:pixel movement is 1:1. 

Also, if you have a 16:9 resolution, the best mouse speed is 6/11 (I think). I know for sure it's the 6th notch from the left. But at this point, mouse:pixel movement is 1:1. 

Handi plays with mouse acceleration 'cause his arm stubs can't reach that far. He does alright, I guess.

Sensitivity is subjective for me, and I play on 16:10. And of course not everyone will know about accel and the effects of it. Some don't care, either.

This is what I did awhile ago:

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Downloaded the program and it does some registry shit to ensure 1:1 pixel mouse precision. I saw it on some Counter-Strike reddit discussion regarding mouses awhile ago.

This is what I did awhile ago:

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Downloaded the program and it does some registry shit to ensure 1:1 pixel mouse precision. I saw it on some Counter-Strike reddit discussion regarding mouses awhile ago.

Damn you're on a roll today. This is awesome!

Fuck what I said in the first post. This is way better.

BTW guys, laser sensor mice always have little mouse acceleration. Some are better than others but they all have it. Optical mice don't and that's why people say they're better. I still prefer my laser mouse though.

BTW guys, laser sensor mice always have little mouse acceleration. Some are better than others but they all have it. Optical mice don't and that's why people say they're better. I still prefer my laser mouse though.

If you have a Logitech mouse, there is a way to disable the mouse's acceleration using their Logetic gaming software. It's pretty nice, since I can also set my DPI ranges.

If you have a Logitech mouse, there is a way to disable the mouse's acceleration using their Logetic gaming software. It's pretty nice, since I can also set my DPI ranges.

Even so there is always a little acceleration  you can't disable on laser mice(like 1%-5%).

I didn't know what disabling mouse acceleration did up until not too long ago. I don't know how I lived without it before. I tried turning it on just for fun and I did garbage, you really do notice a difference.

Jesus fucking christ, people play games with mouse acceleration on? I know little about computers and that's the first fucking thing I do in every game, even MMOs and shit where you'd think it doesn't matter

unfortunately on a laptop using the touchpad with 6/11 pointer speed is annoying, so i tweak a little on my mouse's DPI. could be better, but then my finger would cry on touchpad

I tried turning and off and got annoyed when trying to browse the interwebs

it's back on now FrankerZ

Ur mouse doesn't have game mode detection thing? :<

Ur mouse doesn't have game mode detection thing? :<

What the fuck is that?

I just change my dpi on the mouse from 600 to 1200 when I go from gaming to browsing and shit.

Edited by HornyCat