Sign in to follow this  
JWB10

How much money do you make?

My bank teller job nets me around $9.50/hr, although that job is basically coming to an end two weeks from now since my college schedule doesn't coincide with the hours they had in mind for me. And to be honest, I won't really be missing it all that much.

I'll probably end up go for a do nothing tech job on campus this fall, and those usually pay around $8.5/hr although they usually only offer 10 hours a week at most. I'm don't really use money for anything besides food and transportation anyways so I should be fine for the most part.

Late to this, but chosen makes 120k, + clients like Mimic mentioned and then he has a long term pension and health benefits. For 20 years of work in the military, he has a stable job that he more than likely won't lose and which came with free education. Add on to the fact that he seems to like his job and it's well worth it. He's going to be able to support his family now and well beyond his retirement, I don't see any negatives to it. Drug, you can't really compare his position to yours either, as you're in a relatively new field that has a large amount of possibilities for success and that which is growing at an ever increasing rate.

As for me, i'm not employed at the moment because of certain issues. I would probably be working at a publix down the street for $8-$9.50 an hour or volunteering often if I could.

Edited by Oreo

/>/>/>/>/>/>

Thought I'd chip in on this.

IIrc Chosen is a Captain in the army, base pay of all captains in the army is iirc ~3700$ a month. Seeing as how I don't know how long he's been in the army, I have no idea of what his scaled pay is. Granted, this was last time I talked with my friends of family Colonel from the Airforce, when discussing whether or not I should enlist, Figured i'd ask about pay and he laid out the basic pay for each rank. Shit is cray when you get to the years he has in the military... 20+ as a colonel and he brings home iirc 9-10k at least a month.

This is totally wrong...

All CPTs don't make the same amount. It's based on years of service, location, specialty pay (flight, medical officer, etc), food, yearly specialty bonuses...

Here is the military pay chart:

http://www.dfas.mil/dms/dfas/militarymembers/pdf/MilPayTable2013.pdf

Lets see who can guess my pay. "All CPTs make the same..." LOL, silly civilian!

Hints: I'm assigned to the 101st ABN, I'm married, I've been active duty for 9 years, I'm assigned to a UH-60, and my sig is also a hint.

FYI: my promotion board is this month. I wont include the $140 an hour I charge the civilian population or my speaking fees for conventions. That's my play money....that my wife takes....

Edited by ChosenOne2000

I would calculate but I dont want to research the special pay and stuff

Edit: Just did the base pay only and it's about 24 bucks per hour on a 8 hour day. 

Edited by Chaulklet.Shake(Elmo)

I would calculate but I dont want to research the special pay and stuff

Hint: I'm a medical officer. Even though I'm not a physician, I belong to the department of "psychiatry". I get annual compensation for this specialty.

Would you agree that amount is enough to live comfortably but is not enough to build dreams on?

I live comfortably and my promotion board is this month so that will be an extra $1,200 a month. I'm happy.

i make 70k a year. "W.S.P."

Washington State Patrol?

120k doesn't seem like a big enough reward after 20+ years of working.

I don't agree with that. Not all businesses allow for that kind of salary. I know in my state a lot of state positions top out at around $100,000. I work at a non-profit profit business and there is not a single person in our association who makes over &100k; and at least 6 staff have worked 30+ years.

I understand you have a business and that makes sense you think a $120k after 20 years is very little. If its a successful business you could easily rack in $250,000 after a few years. It's amazing if you can do that and props to you for doing it; but not everyone has the knowledge, money,and capabilities to start one. Myself and three other friends tried and sadly could not.

But based purely upon salary, 120k really isn't that much.

$120,000 is defiantly a lot. If you grew up in a family who had an average salary of $50,000, $75,000 would be a lot. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Would you agree that amount is enough to live comfortably but is not enough to build dreams on?

I don't know about you, but I think I'd be pretty satisfied with my life if I was making over $100,000 with benefits in my early 30s. Do you really have to live in a expensive estate, have a BMW and maybe even own a yacht before you can consider yourself to be living comfortably? How else can you spend that kind of money so quickly besides living in a place like New York City?

I don't know about you, but I think I'd be pretty satisfied with my life if I was making over $100,000 with benefits in my early 30s. Do you really have to live in a expensive estate, have a BMW and maybe even own a yacht before you can consider yourself to be living comfortably? How else can you spend that kind of money so quickly besides living in a place like New York City?

I'd be happy if I can pay off my student loans within the decade, find a modestly priced, but relatively pleasant apartment or a townhouse to live in, buy and maintain an interesting old car, and be able to pursue my graduate studies without too many financial worries. Aspirations are different for different people. Some are reasonably modest, while others are comparatively more lofty. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of them. 

No. I said $120k was comfortable. I guess I just strive for more than comfortable.

I'm not saying you won't be happy at $120k, just that you'll be living comfortably.

Look, I will never become rich serving in the military. I spent 8 years as a cadet training for this career. I love what I do. If you want to become rich, stay away from the military.

What I enjoy:

-No less than 30 days of paid vacation per year

-Free healthcare for me and my family

-Free education (I've spent over $400,000 of the Army's money on degrees, internships, residencies, conferences, and certifications.)

-I won't get laid off

-Free education for my wife and child

-Tax free paycheck while deployed

-I get to fly with the 101st ABN at least 2-3 days a week

-50% of my base pay + disability upon retiring after 20 years (I'm retiring at 42. How many people can say that?)

So yes, at $112,000 gross (taxes are a motherfucker), I can fulfill my dreams. FYI, I'm getting 2 pay raises in the next 4 months. I'm cool with whatever I earn doing what I love.

Holy fuck you make a lot of money in the US :o.. Well I guess it's cause you gotta pay for like health care + fire departmen services etc... :>