Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kung?

Back from the dead for like the 4th time

Hello! Kung here. I have survived my first semester of college and to be quite frank, I am loving every minute of it. I'm currently studying Music/Viola Performance and plan to go to a music conservatory after I'm done with my undergrad degree.

Anyways, if you don't know me than let me introduce myself. I been here since 2012 and I been dead for a while but come back once in a blue moon. I played Jailbreak and TTT when the servers were still alive.

I happen to got a new gaming PC recently and it's certainly a great (entry-level) desktop! It can destroy the games I usually play. My favorite video game of all time is NieR: Automata. It literally changed my life and it has such a GORGEOUS soundtrack. 

Interesting facts about me:

- I drink a copious amount of tea and have about $100 worth of loose leaf tea in my collection.

- I'm a classical music snob.

- I scream like a 5 year old girl despite having the voice like a grown adult male.

- I'm not interesting.

So yeah, it would be awesome if I got to meet new people who were accepted into sG and stick around for a little bit before I go back to studying what I love! :)

I'm going to be that asshole that pops on during winter break between classes during his victory lap year (WOO GRAD SCHOOL) to tell you to pick a fucking business double major. I have multiple friends who've made career changes because music conservatories are tough as shit and most of your income will be teaching lessons. These aren't people at some podunk college either, they paid 60K a year at a top 15 music school. Save yourself the trouble and please for the love of god major in a backup plan while you pay all that tuition/have the hours available.

In other news, enjoy college while it lasts.

35 minutes ago, Oreo said:

I'm going to be that asshole that pops on during winter break between classes during his victory lap year (WOO GRAD SCHOOL) to tell you to pick a fucking business double major. I have multiple friends who've made career changes because music conservatories are tough as shit and most of your income will be teaching lessons. These aren't people at some podunk college either, they paid 60K a year at a top 15 music school. Save yourself the trouble and please for the love of god major in a backup plan while you pay all that tuition/have the hours available.

In other news, enjoy college while it lasts.

You are not being an asshole. You are telling me the brutal reality of the music field. 

I am well aware of how competitive music is. I'm actually considering minoring in marketing or business so I have valuable skills that can compliment my freelance music career. I actually want to become a music professor and I know how unstable, impractical, and risky this path will be but at the same time I can't see myself doing anything else but teaching music at a collegiate level.  Chances are I am not going to get in a top orchestra that pays six figures but that's okay! In the end, music makes me happy and I can't imagine myself doing anything else but music!

1 hour ago, Oreo said:

music conservatories are tough as shit and most of your income will be teaching lessons.

I have another point to make. Even though I did mention that my dream is be accepted into a music conservatory, I realize the chances of that happening is close to none. However, it's not about the school that you want to go to. It's about the teacher. I'm currently studying at a state school and the viola professor I study under with is the best in the state of Iowa in my opinion. Music conservatories like Julliard have an extremely intense music program obviously but it wouldn't matter if you don't connect with the instructor of music there! Also, people are going to be jerks in grad school but that shouldn't mean that you can't reach for it!