Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sith

Can we get karma power already

SO's not being able to reset karma is ridiculous. Why an SO would get karma banned is beyond me, it prevents us from playing the game as well as administrating the server. The only response I've heard with this argument is "People will abuse it." If you can't trust someone to reset their/others karma, why would they have SO and be able to ban, gag, kick, slay? Just give us setkarma ability, things would be so much easier.

In my opinion from when I played TTT if you got a karma ban it was most likely because you were playing like an asshat at the time. Just take karma bans as a cool off period and come back with a fresh mindset. Also if you are complaining about a Karma ban as an SO there is more problems that should be addressed then.

8 minutes ago, Sith said:

SO's not being able to reset karma is ridiculous. Why an SO would get karma banned is beyond me, it prevents us from playing the game as well as administrating the server. The only response I've heard with this argument is "People will abuse it." If you can't trust someone to reset their/others karma, why would they have SO and be able to ban, gag, kick, slay? Just give us setkarma ability, things would be so much easier.

If you have been karma banned it's most likely than not because you have been doing things that are obviously against the rules. Giving admins the power to reset it means people can go around killing inno's all day without ever getting banned.

49 minutes ago, Sith said:

gmod-moments---ttt_o_3553765.jpg

12 minutes ago, water.exe said:

In my opinion from when I played TTT if you got a karma ban it was most likely because you were playing like an asshat at the time. Just take karma bans as a cool off period and come back with a fresh mindset. Also if you are complaining about a Karma ban as an SO there is more problems that should be addressed then.

The main loss of karma is not from RDMing. I know what the rules of the server are, I've been an SO going on three years now. On the contrary, it's the rules that actually cause the karma loss. Shooting randomly, throwing incends, walking by unID'd bodies, straight up killing other RDMer's, there are plenty of ways to lose karma without playing the game incorrectly. I don't see why karma should punish a player for playing their role correctly.

10 minutes ago, SpartanSakaro said:

If you have been karma banned it's most likely than not because you have been doing things that are obviously against the rules. Giving admins the power to reset it means people can go around killing inno's all day without ever getting banned.

If someone is going around killing inno's, then thats a ban the SO should issue out. A week max, depending on the amount of people he/she RDM'd. Karma ban is only for an hour.

I don't think you guys are understanding the reasoning behind this post. This isn't a "I RDM'd people and got banned for an hour", this is a "Why can't SO's have access to this command". It's been on my mind for a while and I figured I'd throw in a thread arguing that SO's should have access to this command, its for the benefit of the server. If an SO can't handle the ability to manage karma, they don't have the ability to manage RDM or to administrate the server. Why would they be an SO in the first place?

:thinking:All these people who dont play gmod coming in telling gmod people how to play their server:thinking:    

1 hour ago, SpartanSakaro said:

Nope, I've been karma banned 2-3 times for just killing RDMers and people that are T-baiting. 

@centran was karma banned one time for killing like 4 T buddies with a C4 because they were dumbasses and didn't watch on their screen lmao. 

10 minutes ago, Sith said:

The main loss of karma is not from RDMing. I know what the rules of the server are, I've been an SO going on three years now. On the contrary, it's the rules that actually cause the karma loss. Shooting randomly, throwing incends, walking by unID'd bodies, straight up killing other RDMer's, there are plenty of ways to lose karma without playing the game incorrectly. I don't see why karma should punish a player for playing their role correctly.

You're right, most people who know how to play correctly don't lose karma from RDMing, but from killing t baiters ect which is well within the rules.  I guess I can't see any major issue with giving SO's access to !karma, except the obvious "it might be abused", but that risk applies to all commands too. (might get annoying having to deal with everyone asking you to reset their karma after they see you resetting your own)

I've never been super close to being karma banned, but I'm not against SO's having access to the command.  Ultimately, it's up to @ZachPL though.

Just now, Avenger said:

You're right, most people who know how to play correctly don't lose karma from RDMing, but from killing t baiters ect which is well within the rules.  I guess I can't see any major issue with giving SO's access to !karma, except the obvious "it might be abused", but that risk applies to all commands too. (might get annoying having to deal with everyone asking you to reset their karma after they see you resetting your own)

I've never been super close to being karma banned, but I'm not against SO's having access to the command.  Ultimately, it's up to @ZachPL though.

Unless an officer is 100% confident in a players integrity, I wouldn't reset their karma. I'm mainly bringing this up in anticipation for the upcoming event. With newcomers and stupid members that don't read !motd's, stopping yourself from playing and involving yourself in the game is not a solution to a problem that often occurs from playing the game CORRECTLY. Especially if you're moderating the server and expected to vouch for achievements that you may or may not be a part of because of restrictions to your effectiveness as a player.

If people abuse it, just remove those that abuse the command.

Love that non-ttt fags are trying to chime in on this.

From the time I was playing, the only reason I would get down to 700~ karma was due to people breaking the rules, as well as killing T-Baiters.

Just now, Sandy said:

If people abuse it, just remove those that abuse the command.

Love that non-ttt fags are trying to chime in on this.

From the time I was playing, the only reason I would get down to 700~ karma was due to people breaking the rules, as well as killing T-Baiters.

Except when Will aslays a dude for 20000 rounds, then implement a slay cap for SO's entirely.

owait

No it isn't needed and only leads to abusing, it's next to impossible to get banned without trolling, there is no justifiable reason.

19 minutes ago, Avenger said:

You're right, 2.) most people who know how to play correctly don't lose karma from RDMing, but from killing t baiters ect which is well within the rules.  I guess I can't see any major issue with giving SO's access to !karma, except the obvious 1.) "it might be abused", but that risk applies to all commands too. (might get annoying having to deal with everyone asking you to reset their karma after they see you resetting your own)

Just now, ZachPL said:

No it isn't needed and only 1.) leads to abusing, it's  2.) next to impossible to get banned without trolling, there is no justifiable reason.

One statement coming from a Gmod TTT advisor who regularly plays the server, the other coming from one who doesn't. Hmm.

I honestly fail to see how giving us abilities to moderate a server to the fullest extent, minus perma-bans, is fine but then add karma management into the mix and suddenly thats too far.

As I said earlier, I'm not totally against it being given to SO's, but I don't feel like its necessary to effectively admin like you make it seem.  From what I've noticed, It's extremely rare for an SO to get karma banned, since the RDMers are usually banned before they can negatively affect someones karma to the point of getting karma banned.  Even if a person isn't RDMing, but they are still having a negative impact on peoples karma by just randomly shooting and acting like an idiot, we can just warn>slay>ban them to stop the constant T baiting so it isn't getting people karma banned.  As for karma bans that happen when an admin isn't there, I would be willing to appeal someones karma ban if they can prove to me that their ban was caused by killing RDMers/T baiters ect.

Eh, back in the old day it was more just a funny thing that happened. Centran getting karma banned because I try defusing a 10 min C4 was hilarious.

From my experience, it wasn't necessary to have access to resetting karma, and usually I'd get people bitching about wanting their karma reset and being able to tell them you didn't have access to it made it easy enough to deal with. Getting karma banned was at that time really hard, usually the person causing the you to get low karma was banned before it got that bad.

Not saying that you shouldn't have access to it since times do change, but with my admin experience I never got to a point having that command was needed to do my job.

2 hours ago, Ironic said:

Nope, I've been karma banned 2-3 times for just killing RDMers and people that are T-baiting. 

@centran was karma banned one time for killing like 4 T buddies with a C4 because they were dumbasses and didn't watch on their screen lmao. 

and also killing 10 Inno buddies with a 10min planted C4 I got off a T. I served out my punishment for that lolzy act

Just now, centran said:

and also killing 10 Inno buddies with a 10min planted C4 I got off a T. I served out my punishment for that lolzy act

Pretty sure I was the ballsy inno that tried to defuse that. Last time I remember it happening was in the minecraft mineshaft map.

8 minutes ago, Sportsteen583 said:

Pretty sure I was the ballsy inno that tried to defuse that. Last time I remember it happening was in the minecraft mineshaft map.

Ahh, back when TTT was fantastic and fun. We should have an oldfag night soon

10 hours ago, Sith said:

One statement coming from a Gmod TTT advisor who regularly plays the server, the other coming from one who doesn't. Hmm.

Implying you have to be active to understand how the game works. 

The only role in TTT that is forced to kill anyone is a traitor. Whether it be a t-baiter or an accident, no one is forcing innocents to kill anyone.

Low karma = bad player/troll/rdmer/over-aggro player/"killing too many t-baiters"

8 hours ago, Roflstomp said:

Ahh, back when TTT was fantastic and fun. We should have an oldfag night soon

Yes, with all the classic maps, even if they require Cs:S. Like clue, crummycraddle, Roy the ship, rooftops, mansion, And the Christmas cabin one (forgot the name rip)

2 hours ago, Matty said:

Implying you have to be active to understand how the game works. 

The only role in TTT that is forced to kill anyone is a traitor. Whether it be a t-baiter or an accident, no one is forcing innocents to kill anyone.

Low karma = bad player/troll/rdmer/over-aggro player/"killing too many t-baiters"

If you are an innocent and witness another terrorist committing traitorous acts, and you do not act on it if he/she was a traitor, that is KOSable. Guilty by association. So in a sense, you would be punished for not actively participating in the killing of a traitor (or a suspected one).

Maybe if you were an active Gmod player, you'd know that ;)

Anyways, Zach responded and gave an answer. Although I disagree, it's his word I suppose. Still looking forward to the upcoming event, make sure to hop on everyone!

15 hours ago, ZachPL said:

only leads to abusing

Is that not the same with every command though? Every command can be abused, and I'm sure it would be worse for an SO to ban everybody, rather than set everyone's karma to 1000.

1 hour ago, Sith said:

If you are an innocent and witness another terrorist committing traitorous acts, and you do not act on it if he/she was a traitor, that is KOSable. Guilty by association. So in a sense, you would be punished for not actively participating in the killing of a traitor (or a suspected one).

Maybe if you were an active Gmod player, you'd know that ;)

Anyways, Zach responded and gave an answer. Although I disagree, it's his word I suppose. Still looking forward to the upcoming event, make sure to hop on everyone!

So you have to be killing people to be participating? I never once said you don't have to act, I said you don't have to kill...

Me calling said person out and not killing them, that's a valid option. I wouldn't lose any karma and still would be participating.

I think you need to check yourself, bruh.

Well..  There's a line between playing cautiously and simply ignoring someone who's running around blatantly shooting everyone.  For example, if some calls a kos on "bob", I may not kill bob just because I'm not sure if he's actually the traitor or if the traitor is calling a false kos to bamboozle the innocents.  If I watch bob kill a bunch of people and not ID their bodies, and I decide to just stand around as if nothing ever happened, I can be killed for that since it looks like I'm not killing a known traitor (assuming no one is RDMing).

Depending on the situation, it may be considered trucing.  This is taken from our motd: Trucing is forbidden (not killing a specific player even if you know they are traitor).  We usually only ban for trucing if 2 friends (1 t and 1 inno) are running around killing people together.