Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BearrMagic

CSGO's Next Operation and Source 2 Engine to be Released This Summer

What you are linking is a badly made article which is using badly translated chinese as a source. Don´t believe everything you see.

Just now, water.exe said:

If source 2 releases this summer that means Half-Life 3 is completed.

At this  point in convinced they did finish half life 3 but it was so trash they scrubbed  the game 

On 4/13/2017 at 6:12 PM, water.exe said:

I mean it's been a whole decade since episode 2, they have an obligation to their fans to release it now before it becomes WAY too long.

On 4/13/2017 at 6:12 PM, water.exe said:

Source 2 has already been released. It's just an engine, Dota2 uses the Source 2 engine. 

14 hours ago, smokingbanana said:

I mean it's been a whole decade since episode 2, they have an obligation to their fans to release it now before it becomes WAY too long.

They have no obligation to do anything.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:40 PM, Jodas said:
What you are linking is a badly made article which is using badly translated chinese as  source. Don´t believe everything you see.

You also shouldn't take an AMA from months ago as a source of truth. Any company that isn't ready to release things to public knowledge, or don't want to get hopes up before they're sure on a release date would give a vague answer such as the ones in that AMA. Things change very quickly when developing, and feeling ready to release can change day to day as bugs are discovered, fixed, etc.

Anyways, if they do move the Source 2 engine, I'd be pretty excited. We can't fully know what all would change, but even from the graphic and performance enhancements we saw in Dota, I would be happy to see in CSGO. There would however most likely be some minor unavoidable changes to physics, with movement, grenade throwing (I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A GRENADE NOT STOP YOUR MOMENTUM COMPLETELY), etc. This would obviously have a big effect on our kz and mg servers - mainly some maps may need tweaked depending on how much changed, otherwise it may just mean players need to adjust to these minor tweaks. Obviously the pro/competitive scene would need to spend quite a bit of time relearning nade throws, strats, even timings on pushes and where CTs can get before the push comes, and other things depending on how exactly these things changed. 

Overall the improvements that could come with moving to the Source 2 Engine would be worth it, assuming it happens. 

EDIT: Also, not that it means much, but the Source 2 wikipedia page now lists CSGO and Dota2. That being said, it uses the same article posted here as the proof, so we shall see.