Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordinarygamer96

New York State offers free tuition

It doesn't sound too bad, however there are a couple of things that may make people draw away from the free college scholarship.

• Needing to be taking 30 credit hours a year

• Need to stay in New York and work there for the same number of years you went to college.

This doesn't sound bad I guess if you're just desperate for free college (and I guess don't want to take the Military option), but needing to be full time and stay in New York may draw some people back. For middle class families who plan to go full time and stay in New York with their family, this may just be perfect though.

Just now, Ironic said:

It doesn't sound too bad, however there are a couple of things that may make people draw away from the free college scholarship.

• Needing to be taking 30 credit hours a year

• Need to stay in New York and work there for the same number of years you went to college.

This doesn't sound bad I guess if you're just desperate for free college (and I guess don't want to take the Military option), but needing to be full time and stay in New York may draw some people back. For middle class families who plan to go full time and stay in New York with their family, this may just be perfect though.

The 30 credit thing overall I don't consider too bad. If you need to go part time you can always take extra classes next semester. Staying in New York also isn't too bad since of you're leaving the state it's most likely you found a job good enough to get you to leave home which means you can at least afford the transfer to a loan most likely. Once more states make the switch and it becomes a federal rather than state program it'll be much simpler and cost effective 

Just now, Rune said:

Can't wait for my taxes to sky rocket-

Maybe I should just consider moving to another state. :thinking:

Long term this theoretically could  equal lower taxes since college graduates will pay more taxes and therefore increase the revenue base of the state. 

Its not free college in the holistic sense. Under this system, students still need to pay room&board and supplies and books cost. It'll be interesting to see how this works out though.

Just now, Swed said:

Its not free college in the holistic sense. Under this system, students still need to pay room&board and supplies and books cost. It'll be interesting to see how this works out though.

I mean ya almost all the proposals given including Bernie's have been for free tuition and possibly greater assistance with the additional costs but not totally free. Overall i think it has great potential