Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rune

United Garbagelines

I'm sure a lot of you have heard about this so far, but here's a few interesting bits in-case you haven't heard.

http://imgur.com/gallery/P7cCW

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/business/united-flight-passenger-dragged.html?_r=0

Graphic for those who don't like blood:

http://imgur.com/gallery/GvamB

United Airlines response:

Pretty laughable given the situation.

The TL;DR:

Flight is overbooked, they ask people to leave and one dude said he can't. They forced him off and bloodied him up because of it. People are pissed off.

Should be noted: The guy needed to get back home to attend to patients as he was a doctor. The people are also being asked to leave to accommodate their employees on said plane. This is also a common thing that United does apparently as they expect some amount of passengers to cancel.

Likewise, a police officer told him to get off the plane as well. For whatever reason that warranted drawing blood and being forced off a plane is beyond me.

Feel free to leave other insight if any information I've posted is wrong, or if you have opinions on the matter.

lUTww9p.jpg

Airlines always overbook flights, because people quite often never show up/drunk at the bar/are late.  But I want to know why they had to remove people from the flight to make way for their employees.  Maybe the employees were deadheading to a location, and something happened to their last flight.  Quite often this happens, but usually at the gate before they board.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

But about their previous incident with "leggings", I stand with United 110%. No question about that. 

It is retarded how United Arline forced their customers out of the airplanes and using force if they refuse, they shouldve planned better. I hope the person who got hurt get ALOT in return for that incident

Yeah, this was fucked. In this case, United Airlines overbooked their flight, expecting passengers to cancel. None cancelled and they needed four seats for employees that had to be somewhere else. So they offered another plane ride, a cash stipend for the troubles, and free stay at a hotel where they would land. No one volunteered. They offered 200, 400, 800. No one bought it.

THIS is where United fucked up. Instead of increasing the cash they said "Welp, looks like we're picking 4 people at random to evict from the flight." One of them was this doctor. So they knocked his teeth out and dragged him out of the fucking plane. They should have kept marginally increasing the cash, someone would've eventually taken it.

"Well, United wouldnt keep increasing the money, it gets expensive." Then how about you dont sell seats you dont have, ya jackasses.

Universities do this as well, in a sense. Almost every University in America will accept more freshman than they are legally able to accomodate. They know that a certain percentage of freshman will not make their first year, so they take a little over than theyre supposed to. That way they can get the money from those freshman that drop out and not be in legal issues.

Also, there is a clause in every airline that says they can deny you entrance to your flight due to any reason, usually for reasons like this. HOWEVER, this is during pre-boarding or before. They cannot revoke a seat to a passenger that has already boarded. They breached their own policy and played themselves.

So apparently, United staff were saying that 3 people willfully took the offer, and that this man had originally said that he did accept United's offer, then he decided against it, but the Company said "no tag backs" and dragged him off.... I don't know all the sides and the truth of all the stories, but this thing is blowing up.  

Just now, slyfox said:

So apparently, United staff were saying that 3 people willfully took the offer, and that this man had originally said that he did accept United's offer, then he decided against it, but the Company said "no tag backs" and dragged him off.... I don't know all the sides and the truth of all the stories, but this thing is blowing up.  

You, myself, and everyone reading this thread know that is a crock of shit. If you watch the video you know that's horseshit.

It's weird that it's united staff saying this and not the actual witnesses sitting next to him. :thinking:

The beatings will continue until volunteerism increases.

Dudes gonna be rolling in money after this, lawyers are probably already scrambling to get him as a client.

I would have thought after bashing the guys head into an arm rest and him going limp and then DRAGGING his limp body by the arms on the ground, that would have been an indication to STOP. Get a medical team and check the guy out. I can see how when they tried to grab him he gets his thigh stuck under his arm rest which then gets him launched head first into the arm rest in the opposite isle.... if they had stopped there and got him a medical team, they could have avoided...maybe SOME of the harsh lime light. But nope, drag his ass outta here, gladiator style boys.

Also, this is another prime example of the bystander theory. Everyone seems so upset, but nobody did anything, or stopped anything from happening. Mind, this is America, so maybe standing up to cops that beat up people for airplane seats isnt the best idea.

I have never ever experienced an overbooked flight. But I do know we have really strict rules about it here in Norway. Some airlines in Norway disables the back row for passengers and is always reserved for airline workers. 

"I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers."

Take notes: This is not the best way to apologize lol. It's like they don't understand damage control.

United CEO doubles down in email to employees, says passenger was 'disruptive and belligerent'

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/united-ceo-passenger-disruptive-belligerent.html

Ironically enough he was named "Communicator of the Year" in March xd

http://newsroom.united.com/2017-03-17-United-Airlines-CEO-Oscar-Munoz-Named-PRWeeks-Communicator-of-the-Year

From some reddittor:

This whole case is completely retarded because as a society, we seemed to have lost all reason and critical thinking skills.

• United had more options than go into "involuntary de-boarding situation". They could have offered more money for the passengers to de-board, they could have rented a plane for their crew, they could have tried to find a flight attendant already in Louisville to take over.
  • The police should have asked a few questions: why is this guy "illegally" on the plane? How did someone who wasn't suppose to be on the plane was on it?

Oh, he had a ticket and while sitting there United decided he is there "illegally", sorry United - that's on you.

Also, the police shouldn't be used as the muscle of corporations, but that's a whole other issue...

The "united broke my guitar" guy cost them a 180 million drop in stock while he just wanted his broken guitar paid for. I wonder what this will cost them lol. They really should have raised those ticket prices for other people...

I've flown United roughly 8 times. 3 times the plane experienced a mechanical malfunction that once delayed me for 4 hours in San Francisco while sitting on the plane and twice forced me to take a charter bus from Pennsylvania to Jersey and barely make my connecting flight there. United planes themselves are alright but the airline itself is cursed I swear 

You can't just "find a flight attendant in Louisville". United has different hubs, and is a hub and spoke airline system, rather than Southwest, which is a modified point to point system.  The crew bases are such like IAH, IAD, SFO, EWR, and ORD.  The flight crew also have time restrictions, which are extremely strict, often having them deadhead flight crew once they reach the end of their duty.  So, in order for other flights to keep on going, United had to make room for their employees.  I don't know the whole situation yet, some people are saying the guy accepted then didn't, some are saying he was randomly selected, I do not know.  People should wait for more information to come out before they take a stance.

However, airlines overbook, and will keep overbooking.  It happens all the time.  They aren't going to stop doing it.  Airlines run on EXTREMELY thin margins, and everything from being 5 minutes late while waiting for a late passengers can have the airline be fined by the airport thousands of dollars.  They do this to make a profit so they have full planes, and keep the prices low.  Prices are pretty low for airlines right now, and have been getting lower (adjusted to inflation) to allow more people to fly.  Airline stop overbooking, and then you get higher tickets, less people flying.  Then it goes back to the 50's-60's when only the very wealthy could fly (I wouldn't mind returning to those days).  

Just now, slyfox said:

You can't just "find a flight attendant in Louisville". United has different hubs, and is a hub and spoke airline system, rather than Southwest, which is a modified point to point system.  The crew bases are such like IAH, IAD, SFO, EWR, and ORD.  The flight crew also have time restrictions, which are extremely strict, often having them deadhead flight crew once they reach the end of their duty.  So, in order for other flights to keep on going, United had to make room for their employees.  I don't know the whole situation yet, some people are saying the guy accepted then didn't, some are saying he was randomly selected, I do not know.  People should wait for more information to come out before they take a stance.

However, airlines overbook, and will keep overbooking.  It happens all the time.  They aren't going to stop doing it.  Airlines run on EXTREMELY thin margins, and everything from being 5 minutes late while waiting for a late passengers can have the airline be fined by the airport thousands of dollars.  They do this to make a profit so they have full planes, and keep the prices low.  Prices are pretty low for airlines right now, and have been getting lower (adjusted to inflation) to allow more people to fly.  Airline stop overbooking, and then you get higher tickets, less people flying.  Then it goes back to the 50's-60's when only the very wealthy could fly (I wouldn't mind returning to those days).  

So pay more money for a flight or get your mouth knocked inside out because the airline couldn't plan their employees trips accordingly.

Not a jab at you, but UA cannot defend themselves for attacking a passenger that was no threat to anyone, no matter the situation.

The amount of stupidity in this almost hurts.

Stupid choice #1 They did not have the professionalism to not overbook the flight or even reschedule the crew to fly in a different plane or get there another way

Stupid choice #2 They did not train their staff properly for this situation (or maybe they did and this was their training)

Stupid choice #3 $800 was their highest offer which for possibly losing your job or missing something else is not worth $800 had they increased the numbers someone would have happily got off (as sith said). As opposed to the $1,000+ they may be paying more than 1 million if they don't face criminal charges for their staff.

Stupid Choice #4 THEY PICKED A DOCTOR OF ALL PEOPLE. a person with a lot of money who can get a lawyer that will legally rape you in the court room (for lack of a better term) but now I'd imagine he's having to fight lawyers off now because of how cut and dry this case should be. 

Stupid choice #5 they quickly resorted to force to a person who was not deserving of it, leading UA to get their face kicked in in a court room.

Stupid choice #6 though it would have been unprofessional UA could have thrown those employees under the bus claiming negligence and firing them all and washing their hands of it and this possibly would have been done.

- Don't get salty over an idiot on the internet 

ET