Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Booch

Internet Issues

I live in a 6,400 sq ft with my family. Have a lot of devices it is four stories trying to figure out how to get a lot better internet speaking since centuryLink is trash and since my family is so big(11 siblings 2 parents kind of a lot CableOne is data plan) Can't get Cable One anyone have any suggestions anything can help and is much appreciated.

What is wrong with using commas and periods?

My phone is a piece of shit that's why

Just now, Booch said:

My phone is a piece of shit that's why

So your phone doesnt have any commas or periods on its keyboard/pad?

1 hour ago, Booch said:

since my family is so big cant get Cable One

What?

"We don't provide service if you have more than 6 people in your household."?

I really don't know what you're asking. You want advice on internet providers? Or how to get better results with your current speeds? You gave us no info about your current connection.. what speeds you're paying for, what you're actually getting, where devices are located, etc... If you want help, please provide more info so people can actually help.

I got 11 siblings my friend each has a kindle some of have laptops. So cable one only does this data plan like the more you use more you pay or the one that's near us that's what they said and it would cost fortune for better internet

But I guess I can give you better details now I looked my modem/router from centurylink can only handle 2 megabytes or at least that's what it said. (Very old modem and tried installing new one wouldn't work with CenturyLink no matter how hard I tried). My mom friend solving this by connecting a TP Link router Archer C9 or something like that with a TP Link extender 2 stories up. Crap connection especially when just one person is watching Netflix

So you need a new router and ISP? 

Idk one of the main problems though is there 0 to none connection on the top floor

Ok everything you've given isn't making much sense so try and answer these questions.

Who is your current IP?

What are the speeds you are currently paying for?

What other IP choices do you have?

What is the name and model of your current modem/router?

What floor are they located?

Honestly with 11 siblings you're going to need a higher plan to compensate for the many users which means paying more. A new modem/router may help a bit but 11 users will slow things down since it's splitting the bandwidth with all the users. 

IIRC you live in like the Boise area don't you? I lived in Idaho for a while, and it was essentially cable one or century link. I went with cable one because century link is garbage ( if your modem only handles 2 mb/s, and other modems don't work with century link (idk why they wouldn't but that seems to be what you said ) you're screwed with your current plan/setup. When I lived in Idaho I paid $100/mo for 100 down/10 up, and a 500gb data cap (yeah their data cap is garbage). Their cap was only if you consistently exceeded it they would force you to buy a bigger package, or they would drop you as a customer. It looks like they've changed what they're advertising to 100/mo for 200/10, and a 700gb cap. You could try and convince your parents to try this out if it's available in your area. You guys might not exceed 700gb depending on what everyone does. Throw a couple wifi extenders in different spots around your house, and you'd be much better off than your 2mb/s router right now...