Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordinarygamer96

Ben Carson refers to slaves as "Immigrants"

Just now, Ordinarygamer96 said:

The word less implies you have something. Otherwise he'd have used the word nothing. 

@Sith tell me who else came to America in the bottom of slave ships?

Well, do you think the slaves decided to build their own ships and cruise to the Americas and then volunteer their time? Surely there must have been someone manning the ships... maybe sailors? Or surgeons or captains or carpenters or navigators or gunners or riggers or cabin boys or officers

Just now, Sith said:

Well, do you think the slaves decided to build their own ships and cruise to the Americas and then volunteer their time? Surely there must have been someone manning the ships... maybe sailors? Or surgeons or captains or carpenters or navigators or gunners or riggers or cabin boys or officers

I've never once heard of a slave ship where the crew slept in the bottom of the ship with the slaves unless some of the crew themselves were slaves. Also your argument means he was trying to give praise to slavers lol

I've never once heard of a slave ship where the crew slept in the bottom of the ship with the slaves unless some of the crew themselves were slaves. Also your argument means he was trying to give praise to slavers lol

Oh you're right, I forgot of the common method of sleeping on the sails and on the deck of the ship. Helps keep the crew from overheating.

Just now, Sith said:

Oh you're right, I forgot of the common method of sleeping on the sails and on the deck of the ship. Helps keep the crew from overheating.

On a typical slave ship the crew slept in roughly the middle of the ship and the slaves slept below that. Once again your argument still implies carson is honoring slavers for pursuing the American dream which is almost even more fucked up

@Sith

Not sure what you're trying to prove here. Immigrants =/= slaves here. Technical definition, ect, whatever, semantics are beside the point. 

Carson drew an incredibly stupid metaphor here, that suggests slaves, who were uhhh, enslaved, against their will, in the US, came here voluntarily. You defending it sounds a bit of moot point. They weren't immigrants. Y'all are arguing about how he said it, not what it suggests. Nonetheless, I don't think Carson really means that slaves were paid for working harder than whatever he was comparing to. I think he's just, as others have said, a really smart surgeon, who knows jack shit about politics. Let's not forget that this happened: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/ben-carson-says-he-has-no-memory-of-running-for-president

Just now, Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV said:

@Sith

Not sure what you're trying to prove here. Immigrants =/= slaves here. Technical definition, ect, whatever, semantics are beside the point. 

Carson drew an incredibly stupid metaphor here, that suggests slaves, who were uhhh, enslaved, against their will, in the US, came here voluntarily. You defending it sounds a bit of moot point. They weren't immigrants. Y'all are arguing about how he said it, not what it suggests. Nonetheless, I don't think Carson really means that slaves were paid for working harder than whatever he was comparing to. I think he's just, as others have said, a really smart surgeon, who knows jack shit about politics. Let's not forget that this happened: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/ben-carson-says-he-has-no-memory-of-running-for-president

o0KHLO8.jpg

Does anyone read anymore

So we already established that immigrant is someone who comes to live in a foreign country (a.k.a. anyone coming to america, against their will or not) and that $0 is less than a positive, non-zero amount of pay.

So really all he says is that they had dreams of living here prosperously.

I don't even like Ben Carson but shit like this is why people hate both parties. This is not even remotely news worthy unless you want to argue semantics, which both sides are going to argue that he is good or bad based on their opinions of him.

Woopty-doo, republicans till don't care and democrats just pat themselves on the back and go "yeah I KNEW that brain surgeon was a dummy!"

No. So please, explain it, rather than doing the Rayne thing and posting a meme and avoiding a coherent response

Still waiting for you to defend yourself for implying carson was giving props to slavers 

7w8DbxW.gif?noredirect

Just now, Sith said:

7w8DbxW.gif?noredirect

So please, explain it, rather than doing the Rayne thing and posting a meme and avoiding a coherent response

This isn't helping your case. 

It's like if you were taught that the sky was bright pink all of your life and then called me an idiot for saying it was blue. And then continuing to berate me once I showed you the sky was actually fucking blue over our heads

This isn't helping your case. 

It's like if you were taught that the sky was bright pink all of your life and then called me an idiot for saying it was blue. And then continuing to berate me once I showed you the sky was actually fucking blue over our heads

My case? What is my case? Like I said, read my posts, you'll figure out why both you and Ordinary are confused. Jesus christ, what is this mob mentality

Just now, Sith said:

My case? What is my case? Like I said, read my posts, you'll figure out why both you and Ordinary are confused. Jesus christ, what is this mob mentality

No, no, I want you to draw it out and explain it to me. Make it obvious, really try to convey what you're trying to express here

Clearly you aren't being clear on your position here if there's more than one confused person, along with the lurkers I only assume think we're all retarded, have no opinion, or just reading this thread as they take a shit. 

Just now, Sith said:

you'll figure out why both you and Ordinary are confused. Jesus christ, what is this mob mentality

I'm confused when you tried to argue carson meant slavers instead of slaves lol

No, no, I want you to draw it out and explain it to me. Make it obvious, really try to convey what you're trying to express here

Just now, Sith said:

read my posts

Just now, Sith said:

Just wanna say that Carson never specified slave. Also, being a slave doesn't mean they immigrated here and there were Africans who immigrated to the US who weren't actually slaves. Too many people trying to pull stories from a sentence, chill tf out, we all know our government is stupid, step off their dicks.

Does this work for you?

Just now, Sith said:

Does this work for you?

What point are you making with the highlighted part lol. He clearly was referencing slaves when he refers to people coming in the bottom of a slave ship.  What does the fact not all slaves came to america and the fact not all africans were slaves have to do with his clear reference to slaves?

Just now, Sith said:

Does this work for you?

Of course, I saw it the first time. I was just confused how you went from that to "triggered liberals" lol

He was obviously talking about slaves. But to suggest, not you personally, I mean in general, that slaves were immigrants, is recklessly stupid. 

I actually agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, it's just more fun to talk about it because people generally get confused about what they're arguing in the first place 

7 hours ago, Sith said:

o0KHLO8.jpg

Does anyone read anymore

Nope, I figured this out a while back.

7 hours ago, Face said:

So we already established that immigrant is someone who comes to live in a foreign country (a.k.a. anyone coming to america, against their will or not) and that $0 is less than a positive, non-zero amount of pay.

So really all he says is that they had dreams of living here prosperously.

I don't even like Ben Carson but shit like this is why people hate both parties. This is not even remotely news worthy unless you want to argue semantics, which both sides are going to argue that he is good or bad based on their opinions of him.

Woopty-doo, republicans till don't care and democrats just pat themselves on the back and go "yeah I KNEW that brain surgeon was a dummy!"

Yeah, I don't understand how this is being blown so much out of proportion. I agree, it was a terrible statement to make, but anyone that just listens or reads what Carson said will know that No, he wasn't referring to every slave as immigrants. No, he never said that the slaves that came here even wanted to come here. And yes, most slaves that even were forced to come here, worked for less (even if it's just $0 or what they got for overtime work), and most of them had dreams of living a better life.

I agree this was a terrible statement to make about the "American dream" but the fact that people are giving this so much attention and complaining so much about this just makes me laugh.

Carson has already proven he isn't the smartest guy in certain areas lol, so everybody already knows that.

8 hours ago, Thelnternet said:

393ca22ee75203c75278400f3a902d2c.jpg

Keep digging @Sith

Lol right?? I just don't understand where these kids are pulling their quotes from. "Triggered liberals", I never said that. "Implying carson was giving props to slavers" where the fuck did I say this?

The argument was to not pull quotes and reasoning from people who never said those things that you're basing your argument off of. That's the snag about politics: It's difficult for a politician to state where they stand on a matter because if they flake or decide another stance is appropriate, they'll get their word held against them. And then of course the same people I was referring to, the ones that shouldn't pull quotes and assume what people say, do THE EXACT SAME THING to me and Ironic in some cases.

It's ridiculous to expect that people are going to hold your hand through an argument so you can keep up. So here's the clarification a select few need apparently because they can't hold their ground in a confrontation: I don't agree with what Carson said, it was ignorant. But he never specified "slaves" and what Face said earlier stands true: earning less can also mean working for nothing. This isn't something that can be argued, that's just fact. It blows my mind that you two are clinging on to every comment that doesn't agree with you. Just because someone disagrees, doesn't mean they're a republican and it doesn't mean that they love the idea of slaves. I started this to troll you guys but it's honestly disappointing that I need to line out everything. If you understand what someone is trying to explain, then good. If not, they're not obligated to make sure their points don't fly over your head, you might just be talking to someone that might be more informed or educated than you are (not saying thats me btw).

Just now, Sith said:

Lol right?? I just don't understand where these kids are pulling their quotes from. "Triggered liberals", I never said that. "Implying carson was giving props to slavers" where the fuck did I say this?

The argument was to not pull quotes and reasoning from people who never said those things that you're basing your argument off of. That's the snag about politics: It's difficult for a politician to state where they stand on a matter because if they flake or decide another stance is appropriate, they'll get their word held against them. And then of course the same people I was referring to, the ones that shouldn't pull quotes and assume what people say, do THE EXACT SAME THING to me and Ironic in some cases.

It's ridiculous to expect that people are going to hold your hand through an argument so you can keep up. So here's the clarification a select few need apparently because they can't hold their ground in a confrontation: I don't agree with what Carson said, it was ignorant. But he never specified "slaves" and what Face said earlier stands true: earning less can also mean working for nothing. This isn't something that can be argued, that's just fact. It blows my mind that you two are clinging on to every comment that doesn't agree with you. Just because someone disagrees, doesn't mean they're a republican and it doesn't mean that they love the idea of slaves. I started this to troll you guys but it's honestly disappointing that I need to line out everything. If you understand what someone is trying to explain, then good. If not, they're not obligated to make sure their points don't fly over your head, you might just be talking to someone that might be more informed or educated than you are (not saying thats me btw).

same old shit that ordinary posts every time, goes into the fine print and finds anything that sounds relatively bad and posts about it, then when anyone tries to defend the quote, he becomes a hypocrite. 

12 hours ago, Sith said:

12 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

12 hours ago, Sith said:

1 minute ago, Sith said:

"Implying carson was giving props to slavers" where the fuck did I say this?

You clearly tried to argue carson potentially was talking about the crew of a slave ship. Meaning you were arguing he might have been speaking about slavers instead of slaves .

In terms of the less argument let me explain my reasoning. Someone asks if everyone has money for food.  Everyone says how much they have but one person says they have less when their wallet is empty. Now noone knows if that person means they have less than someone else or else than they need. The word just isn't used properly in that sentence. Noone can gather from that that the person has nothing and it gives basically no information to the others. But whenever you hear someone say they have less of something that still would imply they have some of it.  If you tried to use the word like that in a academic paper in school you'd probably lose points . Another example. You're out with a friend and you get in the car and they say "I have less gas than I thought". You're never going to interpret that as o shit I'm completely bone dry. It's simply not how people speak. You'd assume it means you're low and need to go to a gas station.

Really not trying to attack you on this at all. I have no problem with you. And Ironic I only have a problem with because in other threads he's basically argued he dosent think gay rights are civIl rights etc and expressed complete  ignorance of what trans meant in a thread where he was arguing taking away their rights was a good thing . I'm simply pointing out that it's strange to play Devils advocate  but trying to argue he wasn't referring to slaves when I think it's pretty obvious he was and I highly doubt he was speaking of extremely rare occurrences where slaves made some money 

The fake news media should really run with this because I can't wait till Conway defends him with her straight up poker face saying some shit like, "Well see what he meant is FORCED immigrants." Maybe there will be outrage and she will get a "time out" again.

And Ironic I only have a problem with because in other threads he's basically argued he dosent think gay rights are civIl rights etc and expressed complete  ignorance of what trans meant in a thread where he was arguing taking away their rights was a good thing .

I mean, that's all a matter of opinion. You can think my opinion is trash/not right/evil or whatever, but I'm entitled to my own opinion, as you are to yours.