Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordinarygamer96

Laptop vibrating

So I have an msi ge72 2qc and it's always worked perfectly but today it's started to vibrate violently especially on the left side and make an aggressive buzzing noise. Anyone know what it could be? I think it's the fan which probably has something jammed but I don't have the time or tools to take it apart for awhile and wanted to see if it was possible to fix another way 

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

fan/harddrive.

no way to fix it unless you open it up and clean it out or replace the fan.

GG

Ya I'll probably try opening it up when I can get some tools or seeing if my school's tech support office also does basic computer repair 

6 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Ya I'll probably try opening it up when I can get some tools or seeing if my school's tech support office also does basic computer repair 

Most laptops ive seen only need a basic Phillips head is yours different?

8 minutes ago, Destin said:

Most laptops ive seen only need a basic Phillips head is yours different?

I haven't checked but I don't have any screwdrivers at my place. Used to but I think I gave them to someone. If my school can't do it quick I'll grab one from someone.

Any ideas what I should use to clean ? Was gonna get an air can probably 

I was recommended spudgers like this the last time I asked a question involving opening a laptop. I've always broken clips the few times I've opened a laptop with a phillips head -- no matter how gentle I am with them, there's always a point where the applied force I'm giving does nothing further and I gotta apply more force: and off a clip goes.

Air cans are probs the way to go, with a microfiber cloth and 90%+ rubbing alcohol for anything that needs wiping (like a harddrive xd).

Anyone have this happen before ? Nothing too serious is it? I'm gonna try fixing it this week.

So I just turned it back on and it wasnt making the sound so I tested it by pressing my computer's "turbo fan" option.The thing immediately started growling at me. So I guess that confirms it is a fan problem that starts up once the left fan is kicked in. Gonna assume its either dirty and needs cleaning or something is loose and its grating

This video has the same problem as me

9 hours ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Anyone have this happen before ? Nothing too serious is it? I'm gonna try fixing it this week.

So I just turned it back on and it wasnt making the sound so I tested it by pressing my computer's "turbo fan" option.The thing immediately started growling at me. So I guess that confirms it is a fan problem that starts up once the left fan is kicked in. Gonna assume its either dirty and needs cleaning or something is loose and its grating

This video has the same problem as me

sounds like an issue from the manufacturer end, most likely put in a shit fan that was bound to fail after x amount of months

2 hours ago, Sean said:

sounds like an issue from the manufacturer end, most likely put in a shit fan that was bound to fail after x amount of months

Rip. Don't really have the money or time to replace it. I'll check if warranty still good I guess 

Used an air can through the vents without opening it and it made the sound go away a little but it's still there. Gonna try taking it to a small computer repair shop near me and seeing how that goes 

That's probably the best thing to do, especially if your fan shit the bed. .Aybe they can replace it cheap and you won't have to RMA it

Problem came back a few days ago do I took it into a repair shop that opened it up and cleaned it all up for me but the problem remains. They were nice and didn't charge for the repair attempt and ordered a new fan for me. Gonna cost me 105 next week when it comes in but I'll have a computer again so I'm grateful 

Sounds like either the bearing in the fan is taking a shit or it threw a blade and is now off balance. Either way you'll need a new fan. Cleaning won't fix it.

Depending on the OEM, some of them have build sheets or some kind of documentation/parts catalog online that will have part numbers that you can google or put in amazon.

Also I didn't read your last post so there's that :)

On 4/1/2017 at 9:20 AM, Velo said:

Sounds like either the bearing in the fan is taking a shit or it threw a blade and is now off balance. Either way you'll need a new fan. Cleaning won't fix it.

Depending on the OEM, some of them have build sheets or some kind of documentation/parts catalog online that will have part numbers that you can google or put in amazon.

Also I didn't read your last post so there's that :)

This. It sounds like the bearing is on its way out. Glad the shop you took it to ordered you a replacement.

The fan in the system should be able to keep it cooled in the meantime, though it'll do so in the most annoying way possible, so a pair of headphones while in use might be a requirement unless you have nerves of steel.

2 hours ago, Llethander said:

This. It sounds like the bearing is on its way out. Glad the shop you took it to ordered you a replacement.

The fan in the system should be able to keep it cooled in the meantime, though it'll do so in the most annoying way possible, so a pair of headphones while in use might be a requirement unless you have nerves of steel.

Ya I tried using it but the sound was so loud and bad sounding I was afraid the fan was going to slice through my laptop's innards. I'm just patiently waiting for the replacement to get to the shop  so I can take it in again