Sign in to follow this  
JusFuhFun PMA

Skill Surf

We've had this discussion many times. I wish people would use the search button :lul: 

I would link it but i can't FeelsGoodMan 

The reason we don't have a skill surf from what i understand is the staff thinks there's to much competition and it would just be dead. 

20 minutes ago, KiLLeR said:

We've had this discussion many times. I wish people would use the search button :lul: 

I would link it but i can't FeelsGoodMan 

The reason we don't have a skill surf from what i understand is the staff thinks there's to much competition and it would just be dead. 

Exactly what he said, I wouldn't mind a skill server but what would be the point if the surf server we have doesn't get much population on it anyway

8 minutes ago, Banana Joe said:

Exactly what he said, I wouldn't mind a skill server but what would be the point if the surf server we have doesn't get much population on it anyway

^This.

It makes more sense to expand the popular servers. ZM, WC3 2... no more JB, please. But a skill surf wouldn't get much play.

25 minutes ago, Banana Joe said:

That's like saying if 24/7 crackhouse war3 server doesn't get population we better not expand to a server with a proper map rotation :D. Our current surf server is just people not knowing how to surf dropping to the jail and fighting it out with rpg powers.

Regardless... Like everyone said it's not gonna happen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 hours ago, xmen said:

Our current surf server is just people not knowing how to surf dropping to the jail and fighting it out with rpg powers.

Listen Im completely fine with just having an RPG death match server on regular CS maps or upscaled versions, it is true we don't know how to surf but my max health, damage and vampire protect my death.

Our Surf RPG server doesn't get populated at all as it is. 

I think if the community wants the skill surf server enough, we should accommodate and find a way to write a good plugin for it. Someone would have to step up and write the skill surf. I'm pretty sure no one on staff wants to do that so it would have to be someone from the community to step up. @Banana Joe if you're capable of it, you should look into doing it.. especially if the community wants it.

Someone needs to start a poll.

1. Skill Surf

2. Surf RPG

Skill surf servers are popular because they're a great mod. Just because it would be high competition doesn't mean we shouldn't give it a try if our community wants it lol. sG could make it, its own. Climb also had big competition but you still see an active player base dedicated to our climb server.

START THE VOTE.

Edited by Travesty

i wouldnt mind seeing a skill surf, but if it takes the place of surfrpg then i am against it. there is literally hundreds of skill surf servers and i doubt 50 of them even have a regular/large community. 

maybe we should try to continue to improve our current server before tossing it out because surfrpg has been a staple of sG for many, many years. hell even slayergaming made a surfrpg that was almost constantly populated for many months. the only thing they did wrong was adding too many overpower abilities, which caused an even more profound skill gap than our server, ultimately killing it.

i truly think the issue with surf rpg at the moment is that its very difficult for new players to get to a point to where they can even stand a chance against a regular, and we have a lack luster map rotation.

when i'm in the server i'm usually ONLY using my knife or pistol because if i use a primary i farm the server too hard and it dies (in fact i usually tell everyone to join the opposite team as me and i let them kill me a few times so they can build up some rpg points). i feel like people would be alot more invested if we threw newcomers a bone and let them have a few free upgrades.

the other thing that i think is holding our server back is our current map list. we have so many maps that are almost exactly the same and are very small in terms of surf maps (some of them are no bigger than the average jailbreak cellblock). the maps make the gameplay become very stale very quickly, which is a total shame because i thought the whole premise of surfrpg was to be a combination of exciting gamemodes.

also the awp is overpowered when you upgrade damage, and the server can turn into an awp only server very quickly. imo it ruins the server because instead of surfing around looking to people you often find the same players, in the same corners, just camping, and waiting for a freekill from a newplayer that cant defend themself.

people do want to play this server and when a few players are on it pops very quickly. we need to figure out a way to keep people interested so they keep coming back.

EDIT

forgot to add that people often join the server and are completely clueless on how to play the gamemode and access the rpgmenu. there REALLY needs to be some kind of basic guide that will catch the attention of new players telling them to type rpg in chat to access the rpgmenu and to get kills to get more rpgpoints. i cant tell you how many times ive joined on a group of 3-4 new people and i start jumping around and they think i got hacks cuz im flying all over the map. then i tell them to type rpg and i can often generally hear the excitement in there voice when they find out they can do the same thing.

Edited by Dr Pepper

4 hours ago, Travesty said:

Our Surf RPG server doesn't get populated at all as it is. 

I think if the community wants the skill surf server enough, we should accommodate and find a way to write a good plugin for it. Someone would have to step up and write the skill surf. I'm pretty sure no one on staff wants to do that so it would have to be someone from the community to step up. @Banana Joe if you're capable of it, you should look into doing it.. especially if the community wants it.

Someone needs to start a poll.

1. Skill Surf

2. Surf RPG

Skill surf servers are popular because they're a great mod. Just because it would be high competition doesn't mean we shouldn't give it a try if our community wants it lol. sG could make it, its own. Climb also had big competition but you still see an active player base dedicated to our climb server.

START THE VOTE.

You know, I've been interested in doing something like this, mainly if the community likes the idea I have, is to have certain maps be for rpg and others be skill maps. A great example of this is our minegames server, there's a plugin that detects which maps are course maps and other maps a different mode. I believe if we take this idea and implement it into your surf server, we would have the best of both worlds. Maybe you want to test out your surf skills one day then later you want to gain rpg status. With this I believe we might bring more people into the server because it won't be all about just the rpg aspect of it. Now I know this can be done I can try to do this, but since most of you already know I'm in the military, it's hard to be dedicated to help out the community like maintaining the servers. Especially now with me, my unit is at the part where we are going to deploy soon, so I'll have less time to actually work on this, but like what @Travesty said I won't start doing this if the community agrees that we could do something like this.

I would love to see an sG skill surf server happen, but if it does it won't be anytime soon. I pushed for one in the past as well as a few other people, but it never did happen.

The Main reason why it most likely won't happen is because there isn't an engineer that would be dedicated to setting up a skill surf server. Setting up the timer plugin, as well as setting up each individual map with its zones and checkpoints would take a lot of time for one person.

Another thing always brought up is there tons of competition for skill servers already looking at Ksf as the biggest competitor. Personally I think that's a stupid argument since literally all of our servers compete with hundreds daily.

I hope one day we do actually all push for one and see how the community feels about it.

Edited by Jeff The Flying Shark

3 hours ago, Jeff The Flying Shark said:

The Main reason why it most likely won't happen is because there isn't an engineer that would be dedicated to setting up a skill surf server. Setting up the timer plugin, as well as setting up each individual map with its zones and checkpoints would take a lot of time for one person.

I could probably learn how to set up the zones and checkpoints and help with that if whoever ended up doing it wanted help :D