Sign in to follow this  
Ironic

(Spoilers) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Opinions)

Post your review/opinion of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story here!

If you're going to post here, please use

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

before you post your opinions. Or, if you are on a computer, feel free to use the new "Spoiler" button that the god @ctark has kindly given us!

Overall, I loved the movie! Obviously, the parts with Darth Vader were probably my favorite (especially the ending), as I'm sure it probably was with everyone. I can't say there was really much of anything that I didn't like about the movie, mainly because this was my first time so I'll probably need to see it a few more times before I can nit pick on anything, but as of now, I really can't think of much of anything that I didn't like about the movie. I loved the CGI characters of Captain Tarkin and Princess Leia. Obviously, they didn't look exactly perfect, but for CGI, I thought they did a great job. We knew this movie was going to tie in to A New Hope, but I didn't expect the ending to be tied in that quick. Which made the ending even more awesome for me because I got that surprise.

Post your opinions down below!

Rogue-One-Wallpapers-For-Desktop

Edited by Ironic

Spoiler

I didn't hear everyone's name enough to actually remember it, but I'm glad that Urso(?) and that Rebel Spy guy died. Would've been too cheesy or cliche if they found a way off. My biggest critic of the movie is that character development happened way too fast. The entire movie happened in the span of a few days (or so I thought) and the characters go off from hating each other to dying together while holding hands. It didn't bother me too much and I think the movie overall was great.

Edited by Yunki

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

17 minutes ago, Yunki said:

I didn't hear everyone's name enough to actually remember it, but I'm glad that Urso(?) and that Rebel Spy guy died. Would've been too cheesy or cliche if they found a way off. My biggest critic of the movie is that character development happened way too fast. The entire movie happened in the span of a few days (or so I thought) and the characters go off from hating each other to dying together while holding hands. It didn't bother me too much and I think the movie overall was great.

Agree, but when you think about it, they had to introduce all these characters really fast, and make them develop fast, so it is all just in one movie. I didn't feel I really "connected" with any of the new characters, but I feel the movie made me really connect more with the rebel alliance and what all they had to go through just to get the death star plans. We all knew that ultimately about everyone was going to die and @Tyrone remember to use the spam "Spoilers" when going to say something about the film.

Edited by Ironic

The movie was awesome, saw it last night and really tied in with episode 4. I don't have a favorite part other than when Darth Vader was on the Rebel ship trying to retrieve the plans back. That was like the best part for me.

Movie was fucking awesome.

Spoilers Below? Ya, Definitely Spoilers...

I do agree the characters developed a bit fast, but they had to fit A LOT into such a short time.

I'm a bit disappointed I didn't really connect with any of the mains, maybe a bit before that droid died, was starting to like him, but it would have been nice to get a bit more connected before everyone died.

This makes you appreciate the Alliance so much more, and the way the tied in characters throughout the film (R2 / C3P0, Leia, Vader) was really cool.  I didn't expect it to tie in to a new hope right away, I thought there would be years between them, but I really liked how they did that.

Also, I added the spoiler button to the editor's button bar, so you guys can use it now!

Edit: 4000th post!

What does 9/11 and the Death Star have in common? Both were an inside job.

Great movie, I love that since this was technically all about Episode 4, they put a lot of the old school cinematic that they used in Episode 4 into this movie. Also they put a lot more action, death and explosions into the movie that was so desperately needed in Star Wars. 

I don't have a favorite part because I was so fucking baked when I went to go see it so i'll need to it a second time for a full opinion. 

But as of right now, the entire space battle was 100% my favorite. 

Edited by Triv

1 hour ago, Triv said:

Great movie, I love that since this was technically all about Episode 4, they put a lot of the old school cinematic that they used in Episode 4 into this movie. Also they put a lot more action, death and explosions into the movie that was so desperately needed in Star Wars. 

I don't have a favorite part because I was so fucking baked when I went to go see it so i'll need to it a second time for a full opinion. 

But as of right now, the entire space battle was 100% my favorite. 

gotta agree with the space battle it was SICKKKKK!!

also like how they added it from like the very first episodes

Damn, this movie was a bit darker than the other ones, with no real "happy ending" like the others where only 1-2 people die, and all of the other heroes lived to fight again.  But I mean it did have to be this way. However, that last scene with Darth Vader and all those guys screaming and fearing for their lives holy shit the chills. 

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I didn't watch the movie with subtitles, so I lost many of the names in ambiguity, but I know a few from Snapchat and I found the rest on the wiki.

The placement of Darth Vader was spectacular in the movie, I thought. At the moment where he met with Krennic, the symbolism from Vader's shadow was stunning. They have a way of making Vader feel like a terrible natural force, like a hurricane. You can see the hurricane being unleashed on the cruiser near the end of the movie. Those rebel troopers knew damn well who he was and what their chances of survival were.

If any of you guys watched the Clone Wars TV series, Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker), is the same person as THIS dude:

http://imgur.com/a/fYoPK

I thought that was a cool tie-in with current canon resources without it feeling like a forced cross-over.

Rogue One helps with the conception of "Really? They just blew up an exhaust port? Whoever designed that was an idiot!". The exhaust port was not a technical oversight, but actually, part of an intricate plot in the making for years by the designer who was actually with the Rebellion the entire time (maybe not WITH the Rebellion, but against the Empire for sure).

I was hoping to see more of the Empire's side of things, such as the Emperor, or (as of the Rebels TV show) the Sith Inquisitors. Might've been that old dude in the Sith robe who fetched Vader for Krennic, but I doubt it. Would've been sick to see other symbols of the Dark Side besides Vader.

All in all,

0/10 no bothans died for this information

Spoiler

I saw the movie yesterday

the movie was nothing like any ordinary star wars film 

it had good action and memorable characters to remember as part of a franchise 

the battle on scarif was so chilling it felt like a Vietnam movie and the destruction of jedha was partially a mock of the earthquake scene from 2012 and it felt awesome in my opinion 

the ending was really unexpecting of how they revealed rogue one turned out to be a prequel to a new hope and how it turns out that all the good characters end up getting killed and it was a great finish off to the movie. i highly suggest seeing this movie even if you aren't a fan of star wars.

3 hours ago, DR3Y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm not even going to add the spoiler tag to this message, because nothing im about to say is a spoiler. but really? you had no idea that Rogue One was a prequel story on how they got the death star plans? wasn't that how it was advertised? 

The beginning of the movie was too fucking jumpy, in the span of 10 mins we go to 4 different places with 0 explanation of what's going on or how they ended up there. 

Why was jin in a jail cell? Why did we need to see Vader in his little vat tube? DID THE MONK KNOW HOW TO USE THE FORCE? OR JUST SENSE IT? Why did they only show 10 ragtag soldiers on the cargo ship, when there were 40 odd fighting. 

4/5

8 hours ago, Iherdcows said:

I'm not even going to add the spoiler tag to this message, because nothing im about to say is a spoiler. but really? you had no idea that Rogue One was a prequel story on how they got the death star plans? wasn't that how it was advertised? 

Yea it literally says in the trailers it is about the people getting the death star plans.... The actors even called it "Star wars 3.5 or 3.8, depending on who you talk to"

8 hours ago, Wave said:

The beginning of the movie was too fucking jumpy, in the span of 10 mins we go to 4 different places with 0 explanation of what's going on or how they ended up there. 

Why was jin in a jail cell? Why did we need to see Vader in his little vat tube? DID THE MONK KNOW HOW TO USE THE FORCE? OR JUST SENSE IT? Why did they only show 10 ragtag soldiers on the cargo ship, when there were 40 odd fighting. 

4/5

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
I also found the beginning hard to follow. When Jyn (I think that's her name) showed up in a jail cell after being rescued, I was pretty confused. I think that the beginning was not as great as the rest of the movie, but I have to agree that the battle above Scarif was great. I was bummed about all of the main characters dying, but I think their deaths were necessary in order to emphasize the death and destruction the Death Star was capable of.

11 hours ago, Iherdcows said:

He didn't see my spoilers in the Talk Mad Shit thread.

12 hours ago, Wave said:

4/5

I agree, the beginning was extremely erratic. The Rebellion explained why Jyn was in the cell (they listed off the charges) in the near beginning. I think the Vader scene was just a cool way to introduce the big bad villain in the movie. Chirrut can not use the force, but he is force-sensitive. This means he can be aware of the force and how it acts. The count of soldiers was increased mid-way through the fighting, when the Rebellion backed them up.

Spoiler

Loved the numerous references to jokes in the other movies like the cantina pair appearing in the city etc as well as some of the storm trooper gossip references things that were happening in the original trilogy. Pretty sure when they were looking through the secret projects and she named some of them that "Black Saber" is going to be relevant again. If you watch the cartoons you'd understand. Also there was a ton of references to the cartoons in the movie which I loved. Overall great movie and has me sold disney is almost better with star wars than Lucas was.

Darth Vader dies.

30 minutes ago, Nugnug said:

Darth Vader dies.

Great contribution to the discussion