Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tazmanianxdude

School system

6 minutes ago, tazmanianxdude said:

Is it okay how it is it does it need to change.

It needs to change! 

People need to learn and adapt. Take what you are learning in school and create a study strategy that works for you. The responsibilty to learn isnt up to the teacher/professor; it's up to the student. People need to stop being shitty and scared, there just needs to be a good teacher, and the student must combine that with what works for them, in order to succeed. There is no cushion in life. Nut up or shut up. 

26 minutes ago, MistaChang said:

I think the school system is fine, except tuition fees, and underpaid teachers.

Yea i agree with that, tuition fees are way too high and teachers need enough cash to support their family. The student should also do thing to meet their needs, like study more or study what they want to do and be. Maybe the curriculum should change a bit to help take so much stress off of student's back so that they will retain more information.  But in the end nothing will really change like @Zip said. The government doesnt want anything to change.

8 minutes ago, FreeLancer said:

Yea i agree with that, tuition fees are way too high and teachers need enough cash to support their family. The student should also do thing to meet their needs, like study more or study what they want to do and be. Maybe the curriculum should change a bit to help take so much stress off of student's back so that they will retain more information.  But in the end nothing will really change like @Zip said. The government doesnt want anything to change.

Teachers make enough money to sustain their families, just they should be earning more so we can attract more teachers that can really help students learn.  

Like Narwhals said, school isn't that tough at all. You just have to learn your style of learning, and apply that every day in class. And I don't know about everyone's school, but at my High School, my teachers are more than happy to help a student one on one if they are struggling with something.

And sure, teachers are under payed, but to have weekends off, and the whole summer off, I don't think 45,000 (average teacher pay) isn't too bad for all of that. But, I still think it should be a bit more, but it's not a terrible pay.

I feel like the problem is that at a young age most people aren't interested in learning what they need to know, and they're forced into a bunch of mandatory classes before figuring out what they really want, rendering all the other skills besides those for that job to be obsolete. And even that decision on a career can change in the course of their lives, which forces schools to teach the basis for everything, which in turn wastes years and years. People only really start pursuing their own education and skill building later in life, and by then its too late if you wait until then to begin the education. So these are a few of the fundamental flaws, barring any that have to do with pay or politics. Unfortunately, its above my pay grade (which is exactly nothing) to figure out how to fix them all.

my history teacher doesn't even teach He's just like "Ok class do one comic strip, some term pictures, and a map" cause you know we're going to be asked to memorize a map and some comic strips on the test.

2 hours ago, MistaChang said:

Teachers make enough money to sustain their families, just they should be earning more so we can attract more teachers that can really help students learn.  

While they make 'enough' to sustain a livable life for themselves and/or their families they don't make enough to get out of debt after all the students loans.. :/

1 hour ago, Ironic said:

Like Narwhals said, school isn't that tough at all. You just have to learn your style of learning, and apply that every day in class. And I don't know about everyone's school, but at my High School, my teachers are more than happy to help a student one on one if they are struggling with something.

And sure, teachers are under payed, but to have weekends off, and the whole summer off, I don't think 45,000 (average teacher pay) isn't too bad for all of that. But, I still think it should be a bit more, but it's not a terrible pay.

You're kind of ignoring that to be a teacher at most levels today requires grad school which is an expensive investment considering the reward and also they work on weekends a lot of the time from home doing grading etc.  Most teachers I know have said they still need to do some work during summers. Not like they walk in the first day after a 3 month vacation. They spend that time planning the year and doing certain meetings etc. 

10 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

You're kind of ignoring that to be a teacher at most levels today requires grad school which is an expensive investment considering the reward and also they work on weekends a lot of the time from home doing grading etc.  Most teachers I know have said they still need to do some work during summers. Not like they walk in the first day after a 3 month vacation. They spend that time planning the year and doing certain meetings etc. 

We actually had 2 teachers at the resort where I worked. They told me that they had to take the job because of all the debt they have. 

10 hours ago, MistaChang said:

I think the school system is fine, except tuition fees, and underpaid teachers.

if the tuition is too high then professors are more likely to get a better pay. You can't just have both. . . 

10 hours ago, MistaChang said:

A lot of people cant sustain a family on their own if they just have a teaching job. At least here in the U.S. they need to be super careful about how they spend their money. They also have to pay off debt, taxes, bills, and the rest of that shit which doesnt leave them with much money at all. 

1 hour ago, FreeLancer said:

A lot of people cant sustain a family on their own if they just have a teaching job. At least here in the U.S. they need to be super careful about how they spend their money. They also have to pay off debt, taxes, bills, and the rest of that shit which doesnt leave them with much money at all. 

After 11 years here in my province, if u have 3 degrees, you make 95,000.  In your first year you make $55,000 with a single degree.  Averagely though, people don't have 3 degrees though.

garbage collectors make more money than teachers in my area, and i live in fairifax county. (we have one of the most rigorous educational systems in the country)

Another issue is what you are passionate about. 

Let's say you're a social justice warrior and wanna major in Gender Studies, or some social science, that you know deep down inside, you'll make no money. Rather than getting a degree in the STEM (science, real science, not social science, technology, engineering, mathematics) they'll cry about the unfair balance in wages. Get a degree in a field that you love and will make money in. It's hard to find that balance, but there's so much, it's only from your own ignorance to miss it. Get yourself in some debt, party hard, study harder, and get a good paying job after graduation. Hell, even a shit paying job is a stepping stone towards something great. The number one contributor to credit issues in millennials is credit card debt, not student loans. Loans absolutely have a higher sum of money that must be paid back, but that's not the killer. It's the interest rates that absolutely crush people financially. Credit cards typically have higher interest rates --- > higher credit lines ----> uncontrolled spending ---- > that $1,000 line you maxed up becomes $2,000 after a couple of non-paying months, and that shit follows you. It'll kill your credit, making it hard to get a house or loan for yourself, without a cosigner. 

22 hours ago, Ironic said:

Since when was this holagin's name red and for what server

Majoring in history and everyday I think about why I'm majoring in something that I love, but yet, I feel like I won't be able to make enough money to support myself etc.  School system is completely jacked.. Don't even get me started on common core also.  I work at an after school daycare program for kids K-6 and I am unable to do any of the common core math.  It is a very visual way of doing problems and I have never been a visual learner.  Many of these kids aren't either and their parents are unable to help them because they weren't taught the common core way.  Teachers also don't even know how to do the problems the correct way.  They have been teaching the same way for their entire teaching careers and suddenly get thrown a new book and told to teach it a new way.  It is just as hard on the teachers to learn this common core garbage.