Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JFK

Is 4K worth it?

Was planning on getting this LG 31MU97-B Black 31" 5ms.

Betting putting up with a 32 inch Sony Bravia HDTV since 2009 at 1080p. It has phenomenal colors but text isn't the sharpest.

I don't want to go back to using a TN panel with horrid viewing angles and I feel a 32 inch at 1440p wouldn't be that much of an upgrade, so I wanna go 4K.

Thoughts? Currently using at a GTX 970 so I know I'll get kinda mediocre FPS with it. But if I go through with going 4K, I plan to eventually sell it and get a GTX 1080 when the price drops.

For TV's, probably not worth the price, though I do like LG's...

For computer use, where you are significantly closer to the screen, it could be worth it, IF your graphics card can keep up with it.

Don't forget, because 4K is essentially 4x1080p screens, your GFX card will have to do A LOT more work to keep the frame rate up.  This could mean you have to drop things like antialiasing down, basically negating having a 4k monitor.

I honestly haven't done any research into the GTX1080, but if it can do 4k, and keep the gfx settings up pretty high, then it may be worth it.

21 minutes ago, ctark said:

For TV's, probably not worth the price, though I do like LG's...

For computer use, where you are significantly closer to the screen, it could be worth it, IF your graphics card can keep up with it.

Don't forget, because 4K is essentially 4x1080p screens, your GFX card will have to do A LOT more work to keep the frame rate up.  This could mean you have to drop things like antialiasing down, basically negating having a 4k monitor.

I honestly haven't done any research into the GTX1080, but if it can do 4k, and keep the gfx settings up pretty high, then it may be worth it.

Jackfrags did a video about them 

In summary duel 1080s will fuck shit up, and one 1080 will do 4k with relative ease 

Also JFK if you do get a 4k monitor please do a review on it. I was thinking of making the switch as well.

Did some research, found out this Benq was probably the best option. Not too worried about the lack of GSync since I'll eventually be going for the 1080.

Just nabbed the last one that was on sale for $699 with free shipping, paid for by the poor saps who threw away their money on EnVyUs and G2. Hopefully it doesn't come defective..

I seriously don't think I could have found a better deal than that so I took it before anyone else could.

Honestly pretty excited about this and can't wait for it to come in. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't blow my old HDTV out of the window.

10 hours ago, Fugner said:

High frame rates > High Resolutions.

^

Would much rather have a high refresh rate display w/ high frame rate imo

16 hours ago, Fugner said:

High frame rates > High Resolutions.

Why not both!  (If you have the money)

i did not read anything anyone said, so take this with a grain of salt. 

In my office i have 2 31" 4k monitors and it is AMAZING. My productivity has significantly increased simply due to the screen real estate. Windows 10 4x quadrant snapping is ALMOST as big as a normal single screen. I pretty much think of each of my screens as 4 individual screens and I use them as such. it's great.

gaming on 4k.. honestly, you need a beast graphics card (think like gtx 1080) but the downside is, do you want to drop back down to 60hz? probably not, so you should instead wait on displayport 3.0 monitors to release so you can use 2Kx4K@120Hz.   there is also a bit of a mix on 4k monitors most are 3840x2160, which obviously isn't 4k (it's almost 4k)  you can definitely find 4096x2160 monitors, which are what i have at work. Does it matter? probably not, it's just irritating to see something that is clearly not 4k advertised as 4k. 

to put this all in perspective.. and i dont know your age.. 

i used to game at 640x480 and i jumped to 800x600 then 1024x768 then 1280x1024, each was a GREAT improvement, so there is no reason to assume gaming in 2160p will not also be a GREAT improvement.  Further, if you're still gaming on a 60hz monitor, then you don't necessarily have to wait on dp1.3 monitors, you won't know what you're missing in terms of frequency/framerate.

my work monitors: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-31MU97-B-4k-ips-led-monitor

1st box is 720p 2nd box is 1080p 3rd ox is 2160p.. thats a lot of real estate.

capture.png

oh and for video/tv watching, if your screen is 60"+ 1080p begins to pixelate noticeably. 4k doesn't. That being said, 4k streamed content has a lower bitrate than a BD disc @ 1080p so the bd looks better. keep this in mind too (but at your size, for videos, it wont matter)

Monitor came yesterday. Then this started happening after 20 minutes or so.

oLFDIxg.png?1

Shortly after playing any game, video, or seeing any moving images really, the right side of the display would erupt in flickers like this.

This happens with DVI, HDMI, and Display Port cables as well, so I'm fairly certain it's the monitor.

Shit.

It's a shame, because this would be a fine monitor if it wasn't for this. In my short time of using it, I enjoyed VERY sharp text.

52 minutes ago, JFK said:

Monitor came yesterday. Then this started happening after 20 minutes or so.

oLFDIxg.png?1

Shortly after playing any game, video, or seeing any moving images really, the right side of the display would erupt in flickers like this.

This happens with DVI, HDMI, and Display Port cables as well, so I'm fairly certain it's the monitor.

Shit.

It's a shame, because this would be a fine monitor if it wasn't for this. In my short time of using it, I enjoyed VERY sharp text.

[*]

12 minutes ago, *OG* Oatmeal Cookie Squeaker said:

Id prefer to have better frames but thats just my opinion. I wouldnt recommend 4k

Do you even know what 4K is?

1 hour ago, *OG* Oatmeal Cookie Squeaker said:

Id prefer to have better frames but thats just my opinion. I wouldnt recommend 4k

... you can 4k @ 120hz.. or you can 4k @ 60hz...  guess what!? you can 1080p @ 120hz.. or you can 1080p @ 60hz.. 

dumb kids.

Three weeks later, for anyone who still wants to hear about this, the repaired monitor came in today. BenQ's RMA process was simple and I didn't have to pay a dime for shipping. Only reason it took 3 weeks is because I live in CT and their facility is based in CA.

While colors aren't as vibrant and lush as they were on my HDTV. they're definitely more accurate and I can see details that were being washed out by my HDTV.

Input lag is basically non-existent.

My only real criticism is that several of my 1080p only games that don't support 4K don't look as crisp as they did on my old 1080p TV.

If you're not rich, yeah it's probably not the best idea to upgrade to 4K yet. But if you are, you really don't have anything to lose.

18 hours ago, JFK said:

Three weeks later, for anyone who still wants to hear about this, the repaired monitor came in today. BenQ's RMA process was simple and I didn't have to pay a dime for shipping. Only reason it took 3 weeks is because I live in CT and their facility is based in CA.

While colors aren't as vibrant and lush as they were on my HDTV. they're definitely more accurate and I can see details that were being washed out by my HDTV.

Input lag is basically non-existent.

My only real criticism is that several of my 1080p only games that don't support 4K don't look as crisp as they did on my old 1080p TV.

If you're not rich, yeah it's probably not the best idea to upgrade to 4K yet. But if you are, you really don't have anything to lose.

I want to see this in person, I bet that shit is fucking beautiful. Hell, simulated 4K on a 1080P monitor is gorgeous. This is a nice 4k 60fps video 

Sometimes I watch it in 144P just to laugh my ass off. Go ahead, smoke a bowl and try it

This shit here looks nice too 

simulated 4k on 1080p? you're simply watching a stream that can be watched in 4k in 1080p...  kind of like when you watch 4k shows on netflix.. if you dont have a 4k tv.. it's just going to play in 1080p... 

and before anyone mentions 4k upscaling, it's still just a 1080p stream played in a 2160p format, same as when you tell your tv to play show your old school dvd in 1080p (this is why it looks like shit, fyi)