Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunderbolt

Thoughts on Brexit?

What is everyone's opinion of the whole Brexit situation? I'm curious to see how it all plays out. I know the British Pound was one of the strongest denominations internationally, but its value has also plummeted since the referendum passed. Predictions? 

The United States and Britain are having a competition on who can fuck themselves up the most.

Britain is in the lead, but America has a Trump card.

As for Brexit situation it possibly will get worse who know.

Saw this one gif on reddit

nc7i3y6exh5x.gif

I'm no expert, but on looking up the referendum vote a few days ago it seems to me that the main reason was immigration and control of their laws. It will cause chaos, but I think things will level out more quickly than people think. People always overreact.

Britain decided to solve their immigration woes by making sure no one will want to immigrant there in the future.

45 minutes ago, Junzou said:

lol it amazes me sometimes how childish people can be in their way of thinking when it comes to these things. "oh i thought i would vote no for the luls, never thought my decision would have an effect in the real world."

People give in to raw emotion and vote because of stupidity and fear of immigrants and their country half implodes and they wonder what happened. Hope that dosent happen anywhere else....

It's certainly brewing a shitstorm for the near future. The real question is what problems it will cause, at the cost of allowing the enactment of their own immigration law changes.. Was it really worth the strife and and the disintegration of social ties between the (now former) members of the union?

I'm scheduling my next vacation in GB, so cheap now, just like the old days when you could travel Europe and not go broke. fuck the EU.

(I also made a bit of money due to brexit because i'm not blind and was prepared for the inevitable decline of the EU, especially now that Germany is pretty much the only thing holding it together)

1 hour ago, driz said:

I'm scheduling my next vacation in GB, so cheap now, just like the old days when you could travel Europe and not go broke. fuck the EU.

(I also made a bit of money due to brexit because i'm not blind and was prepared for the inevitable decline of the EU, especially now that Germany is pretty much the only thing holding it together)

We're heading there in August. Glad I didn't buy any pounds yet. It's still declining as we speak.

18 minutes ago, Travesty said:

We're heading there in August. Glad I didn't buy any pounds yet. It's still declining as we speak.

last time i was in europe (pre-EU) it was awesome, i went to.. 8 different countries, affordably. as soon as the EU was formed, my european travels were halted.. just couldn't afford it. I really hope more countries leave the EU so i can visit them again :D

Enjoy GB! while you're there (if you can) visit Austria and France. Lot's of cool shit to check out. good history, although the french ppl in the cities are all assholes, the village frenchies are nice.

1 minute ago, driz said:

last time i was in europe (pre-EU) it was awesome, i went to.. 8 different countries, affordably. as soon as the EU was formed, my european travels were halted.. just couldn't afford it. I really hope more countries leave the EU so i can visit them again :D

Enjoy GB! while you're there (if you can) visit Austria and France. Lot's of cool shit to check out. good history, although the french ppl in the cities are all assholes, the village frenchies are nice.

Haha I've been to both already. I love it over there.. This time around just doing London and Amsterdam to really take both in.

10 minutes ago, Travesty said:

Haha I've been to both already. I love it over there.. This time around just doing London and Amsterdam to really take both in.

nice man

my fear is that brexit shows that stupid emotional voters have "trumped" 4Head well educated voters. Mind you the US is much more populated and diverse, therefore I do not believe the before mentioned situation will succeed in the USA.

11 minutes ago, MisterTurkes said:

my fear is that brexit shows that stupid emotional voters have "trumped" 4Head well educated voters. Mind you the US is much more populated and diverse, therefore I do not believe the before mentioned situation will succeed in the USA.

i read this and thought of bernie.. because well educated voters dont support him, all the kids do because... they're ignorant.

that being said, the premise behind it makes a lot of sense. the US used to make so much money (and have no deficit) they couldn't justify taxation, so they spent the money on national parks, mount rushmore, and some other silly things. why did we have so much money? tariffs.  Only the rich had imported shit, outsourcing wasn't viable.. what do those two things alone do? 

• increase the quality of "american" made goods by virtue of the heightened demand
  • create more "good" jobs in the US because outsourcing isn't viable
  • increase our gdp and boost our economy because our exports wouldn't drop by much, but middle-class and below money would stay in the US because you can't afford an import

trump wants to do this because it is historically proven to be effective. (or because he wants to collapse the global economy in order to boost the US economy, which im also ok with)

bottom line: you can't worry about what other people's houses look like when yours is fucked up. fix the US, then fix the world. i couldn't give a fuck about any other country but ours because being 3trillion dollars in debt is shameful. 

9 hours ago, driz said:

i read this and thought of bernie.. because well educated voters dont support him, all the kids do because... they're ignorant.

that being said, the premise behind it makes a lot of sense. the US used to make so much money (and have no deficit) they couldn't justify taxation, so they spent the money on national parks, mount rushmore, and some other silly things. why did we have so much money? tariffs.  Only the rich had imported shit, outsourcing wasn't viable.. what do those two things alone do? 

• increase the quality of "american" made goods by virtue of the heightened demand
  • create more "good" jobs in the US because outsourcing isn't viable
  • increase our gdp and boost our economy because our exports wouldn't drop by much, but middle-class and below money would stay in the US because you can't afford an import

trump wants to do this because it is historically proven to be effective. (or because he wants to collapse the global economy in order to boost the US economy, which im also ok with)

bottom line: you can't worry about what other people's houses look like when yours is fucked up. fix the US, then fix the world. i couldn't give a fuck about any other country but ours because being 3trillion dollars in debt is shameful. 

all my wat. Ignoring the badhistory and pretty disgusting moral implications of your post, mercantilism is one of the worst economic policies you could suggest the US implement. Free trade being good is pretty much one of the only things economists universally agree on and free trade agreements like NAFTA have been proven to be welfare improving for the U.S. (and the other nations involved, but you've already made your point clear that you couldn't care less about whether or not people die in abject poverty if they aren't Americans). 

9 hours ago, driz said:

increase the quality of "american" made goods by virtue of the heightened demand

Except American consumers wouldn't be seeing an increase in quality of the goods they look to purchase, only an increase in prices. Tariffs insulate inefficient markets from genuine competition, and we all know that markets without competition allocate resources in an inefficient manner. There's nothing special about American made products, we should be interested in buying products that are of the best value to us, not just products that are from our own nation. Doing the latter leads to less specialization, less goods, and higher prices (ignoring comparative advantages between countries is a very stupid thing to do). 

9 hours ago, driz said:

create more "good" jobs in the US because outsourcing isn't viable

Repeat after me. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. Jobs aren't zero sum. When people in other nations become wealthier, aggregate demand for goods is increased which creates jobs around the world. Also, the low skill workers in the sectors that are practicing offshoring are able to move their labor from let's say low-skill manufacturing to a low-skill service job because of previously mentioned aggregate demand increases. Sure, there is some short-term pain as there are losers that result from free trade policies, but it's been proven that in the long run it's not an issue because of the workers and industries reallocating over time. What tariffs do is sacrifice real income growth so a small part of the population can dodge short term unemployment. 

9 hours ago, driz said:

increase our gdp and boost our economy because our exports wouldn't drop by much, but middle-class and below money would stay in the US because you can't afford an import

It's been proven that our GDP has increased as a result of NAFTA and the vast amount of economic literature out there says the exact opposite of the point you're making. Trade barriers directly lead to higher costs and increased domestic prices, which increase the costs required for export production. This doesn't even take into account reciprocal tariffs from nations that we export to or the political ramifications of engaging in trade wars. A figure from the OECD about tariffs and their ilk is that "each dollar of increased protection leads to a drop of 66 cents in gross domestic product."

9 hours ago, driz said:

It's almost like free trade is mutually beneficial for all the countries involved. Protectionist policy wouldn't help Americans and flies directly in the face of economic theory. Coincidentally, being anti-free trade is probably the one thing that Trump and Sanders agree upon.

1) I never said Americans, I said people of the US. I couldn't care less about the other countries on this continent.

2) so, your saying that although history states otherwise and emphatically proves that tariffs resulted in economic success in the US with no deficit, in fact, a surplus in the Treasury, it had no bearing? It sounds like you're further suggesting that the free trade agreements that have seen our deficit grow to the trillions isn't in any way responsible? Makes sense. (I do not specifically blame free trade, correlation does not prove causation, however....)

We (US) are a self sufficient country, we don't need to import anything. American quality declined significantly due to outsourcing and free trade... you still hear people say Ford trucks last for life? No, because they don't, because American made goods are shit now, because a 10 yo on China makes it cheaper so we buy it there. Yah... Free trade. Saving the world...lol

as a side-note, im bored with this discussion and if necessary concede defeat to those who "know better" than me, congratulations to the potential winners

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thoughts on Brexit? Fucking glorious.

Listen to all these baby adults cry out because things didn't go their way. Priceless.