Sign in to follow this  
Rust Gather Rate Change?

Should the Rust Gather Rate Increase?  

28 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should the Rust Gather Rate Increase?

2. 2. What is your preferred rate?

• 1x (Vanilla gather)
    • 2x (Current gather)
    • 3x
    • 4x
    • 5x
    • Split gather with 2x during the day, and an increased gather at night. (increased gather rate would be the 2nd place polled gather rate)

As an idea for ways to make Rust less of a grind for casual players, staff has decided to offer a vote to the rust players/potential rust players to increase the gather rate. Currently our gather rate is 2x that of vanilla. If you have other suggestions, please leave them in the comment section of this poll, thanks!

Edited by Karma

5x for me. I don't have much time per day to play and not many times per week as you need to keep a base. As a casual player, I'd like to pop in and play... build a base, attack other players, potentially raid and go back to my base.

The server is great and the people on it were fun to play with/against but I found it took too much time gathering resources to do something fun.

Add the gathering leveling plugin, maybe? starts off slow, but the more you gather, the higher the rate at which you do. Double the base gather rate, and then add levels on top of that at 20%/lvl

Edited by Roflstomp

As per our discussion on slack, here are a few points I felt we could highlight in our reasoning for this poll, and to give those of you that are currently active on Rust some food for thought:

• Casual players currently are deterred from playing as they can't keep up with those that have anywhere from 2-10+ times more time to play. We have quite a few people, including myself and other staff members willing to play more if we didn't have to grind so much. (RIP the life of summer vacations and gaming 10+ hours a day.)
  • New players are quickly frustrated with how much time it takes to get up and going
  • We don't want it to get too easy, deterring the more active/competitive players
  • We want to encourage people to be more OK with raiding and the possibility of being raided. Currently people are so afraid of losing everything that (from what I've heard) people often just don't raid.

We also have some exciting prospects of additions to the server. Not to leak anything, and nothing is set in stone, but I'm excited for some of the possibilities. One in particular, which should be no surprise, is that if rust does exceptionally well and we can increase population, is the possibility of having multiple servers. So, if a quicker gather server would increase population, we could potentially have that and a vanilla server in the future, but first we need to get our name out there better in the rust world. 

Also @Roflstomp from what I've heard, the leveling system is still in dev, and "could be released soon™..." But that is a good option when it does come out, I love leveling system-based games.

8 minutes ago, Roflstomp said:

Add the gathering leveling plugin, maybe? starts off slow, but the more you gather, the higher the rate at which you do. Double the base gather rate, and then add levels on top of that at 20%/lvl

Pretty sure you are talking about "Z Levels" and I can definitely add that to the list on a future vote, going to take note of it now. There have been several plugin suggestions, and once this poll is closed and we have a set gather rate, I will open a new poll with several yes/no options for multiple plugins that have been suggested. So, if anyone has other suggestions, post them here please :)

7 minutes ago, Roflstomp said:

I honestly think this is a good idea to have a leveling system, but it would have to be easy enough to get higher rates but not impossible or extremely easy.

23 minutes ago, rufus9900 said:

Vanilla is the best for people who know how to play rust and it is not for care bears

What do you mean when you say care bear? Is the gather rate relative to that? I'm genuinely curious

I think we should leave it alone. If we increase it, it will take forever to raid bases, and the pop is still small as it is. I don't see it really helping the pop at all imo. Bases will take hours to raid when everything gets armored. I can see where people are coming from when they don't have a lot of time to play, but I don't see this being beneficial at all in the big picture

Edited by Velo

34 minutes ago, rufus9900 said:

Vanilla is the best for people who know how to play rust and it is not for care bears

This is not the definition of carebear in the Rust community. I think that you may have heard the term incorrectly. "Carebear" simply means that there is less pvp due to pvp being frowned upon in one way or another. You're relatively new to the Rust community (hours played wise)  so maybe you got confused. 

52 minutes ago, Travesty said:

What do you mean when you say care bear? Is the gather rate relative to that? I'm genuinely curious

Saying this because it will be much harder for us to gather and pvp while gathering

Edited by rufus9900

8 minutes ago, rufus9900 said:

Saying this because it will be much harder for us to gather and pvp when gathering

So in your opinion a bigger gather rate will make it harder to gather and PVP? How does that work?

Edited by Travesty

1 minute ago, rufus9900 said:

I said vanilla and voted for it too.

Vanilla is great if you got a lot of time on your hands. Like Moose said, it's great for summer vacation and gaming for 10 hours a day. However I think most of us don't share that luxury and maybe that's why the population is low?

That's at least a reason why I don't play on the Rust server anymore. I don't have the time to dedicate myself for two weeks.

46 minutes ago, Velo said:

I think we should leave it alone. If we increase it, it will take forever to raid bases, and the pop is still small as it is. I don't see it really helping the pop at all imo. Bases will take hours to raid when everything gets armored. I can see where people are coming from when they don't have a lot of time to play, but I don't see this being beneficial at all in the big picture

Would sulfur go up in gather rate too? Thus you could have more c4 to raid bases? Wouldn't it be all relative and just take less time to get resources?

6 minutes ago, Travesty said:

Vanilla is great if you got a lot of time on your hands. Like Moose said, it's great for summer vacation and gaming for 10 hours a day. However I think most of us don't share that luxury and maybe that's why the population is low?

That's at least a reason why I don't play on the Rust server anymore. I don't have the time to dedicate myself for two weeks.

If u have at least 50 hours on rust ur ok to play vanilla, at least ur not playing a vanilla sever with 200 people on, plus many people wont have huge a base with lots of c4 to raid you because it hard to gather in vanilla with only a few people who base with u

Edited by rufus9900

If u have at least 50 hours on rust ur ok to play vanilla, at least ur not playing a vanilla sever with 200 people on

Um no. He is talking about enough time to actually farm. gather rate has nothing to do with skill level. Idk what you mean by "if you know how to play rust you can play vanilla" this makes zero sense to me.

Edited by Karma

1 minute ago, Travesty said:

@rufus9900 I think you're misunderstanding me or having a hard time explaining your thoughts on this haha I give up

All im saying is that i think it should me vanilla because i already see people with aks and other good guns on first day and would like it if people would have pipes and crosss or bows on first day

All im saying is that i think it should me vanilla because i already see people with aks and other good guns on first day and would like it if people would have pipes and crosss or bows on first day

Idk what vanilla server you've played on, but even when our server was set to vanilla, people still had guns and stuff the first day... It was even more frustrating for new players then, because they were just getting gunned down while naked just trying to make a hatchet.

2 minutes ago, Moose said:

Idk what vanilla server you've played on, but even when our server was set to vanilla, people still had guns and stuff the first day... It was even more frustrating for new players then, because they were just getting gunned down while naked just trying to make a hatchet.

They have it becasue they play alot and have a huge clan with about 6-10 people, and i play vanilla with sadly and jiffy and we have to go agisnt those clans offten and i see what ur talking about moose

Edited by rufus9900

Neither. I think the gather rate is fine. However, I would like to see this implemented, if possible:

x2 gather during in-game daytime

x4 gather during in-game nighttime, which are now half as long as they used to be

Sulfur and HQM/ore are not affected at all by these changes, leave them at 2x no matter what to encourage fair play, so these massives bases aren't being destroyed Taliban amounts of C4 over night, 

Edited by Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV

1 hour ago, Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV said:

Neither. I think the gather rate is fine. However, I would like to see this implemented, if possible:

x2 gather during in-game daytime

x4 gather during in-game nighttime, which are now half as long as they used to be

Sulfur and HQM/ore are not affected at all by these changes, leave them at 2x no matter what to encourage fair play, so these massives bases aren't being destroyed Taliban amounts of C4 over night, 

I am editing the poll to add this option. This would be simple to implement, and could possibly be in favor of both yes and no voters. Interested to see what the community wants.

Edited to add: However, the last bit about sulfur hqm i would have to disagree with. If someone is able to build an exponentially larger base, I do not want to discourage raiding by making sulfur/hqm less available.

Edited by Karma

I personally believe that a 5x server in theory does sound more interesting, it will give the people who play more even more of an advantage. I voted for 1x because i personally love vanilla servers and with as low pop as it currently is, people will be raided day one and so on very easily and progression will all as much be stopped by whoever is the biggest clan. Personally i play alone or with rufus 90% of the time, so 5x does not appeal to me as our base would be very soon destroyed by anyone with over 4 people who are farming. I personally believe this would only help the larger clans, but i am open to opinions

1 minute ago, Sadlyevil said:

I personally believe that a 5x server in theory does sound more interesting, it will give the people who play more even more of an advantage. I voted for 1x because i personally love vanilla servers and with as low pop as it currently is, people will be raided day one and so on very easily and progression will all as much be stopped by whoever is the biggest clan. Personally i play alone or with rufus 90% of the time, so 5x does not appeal to me as our base would be very soon destroyed by anyone with over 4 people who are farming. I personally believe this would only help the larger clans, but i am open to opinions

I really don't get the few of you saying things like this? Sure they will gather 4x or 5x faster, but so will you. Your base should be 4-5x stronger, making it harder for them to raid. The people that it helps is the casual players that don't have the time to farm but would still like to build a base. For example, I love the game, but it takes me almost the entire two weeks to build a base that I am somewhat happy with - only to be wiped within a few days. If I could go on and in the first day or two have a base that I was happy with, I would come back to play more, raid, etc. and even if I get raided, I realize I can rebuild what was broken fairly quickly, whereas if I get raided now, there's no hope for me to rebuild with my lack of play time.

1 minute ago, Moose said:

I really don't get the few of you saying things like this? Sure they will gather 4x or 5x faster, but so will you. Your base should be 4-5x stronger, making it harder for them to raid. The people that it helps is the casual players that don't have the time to farm but would still like to build a base. For example, I love the game, but it takes me almost the entire two weeks to build a base that I am somewhat happy with - only to be wiped within a few days. If I could go on and in the first day or two have a base that I was happy with, I would come back to play more, raid, etc. and even if I get raided, I realize I can rebuild what was broken fairly quickly, whereas if I get raided now, there's no hope for me to rebuild with my lack of play time.

This. Everything scales. Your base is stronger, so it is able to withstand the extra c4/rockets someone can farm up. Also, we're talking 3, 4, 5x vs 2x. The jump isn't huge as with servers who have 100x or even more, just enough to make it less grindey for raiders and builders alike.